Origin of Trails 2021 - Is this a joke ?

Max Headroom

The OoT is a month away and seen no advertising nor receiving the normal regular email for the event. Not even listed on the Hub events page. Looked at the OoT webpage and feeling so disappointed with one of my favourite events.

Anybody in the know on the apparent disintegration happening to this event ?

It is scheduled for next month - Entries still open, so they aren't full from 2020 cancellation carry-overs. Normally, by this time all entries are long sold out.

Even if argued that CV19 is keeping riders away - why the increase in fees ? reduced trail options ? (when cutting their cost compared to their past event - thinking of the tents with Breakfasts, Lunches, Bands,

I loved this event but even from the second or third year, the entry fees starting climbing - and the organisers kept loading the event management expenses.

The elaborate meals and music and tents just add costs that aren't required - (replaced this year with breakfast and lunch packs etc.)

2021 Entry fee now R1,600 for a 45km and 40km route . WTF ?

Sure you get a lunch and breakfast packs  - This is really a priority and attraction for the riders yeah ?

(even adding a cycle top in the package doesn't do it for me. I have three from previous entries and they all fit like sh!t )

Secondly, what is with the 45/40 distances ?

And which will most likely be on trails you can ride any day.

The challenge and fun of this event was the trails but it takes km to get there and back.

Looking back at day1 and day 2 distances:

2014 - we had 65 and 68

2015 - 60 and 65

2016 - 65 and 60

2017 - 55 and 58

2018 - 58 and 49

2019 - 50 and 60

and now 45 and 40 - what ? The route maps have not been announces (Jonkers fire damage contributing)

but I don't think there is going to be anything new or exciting from the "routes not open to the public" teaser.

I'd rather spend my R50 or R60 permit fee and ride these trails when I want.

And don't give me CV19 excuses for R1600 and a ride around the block - all cyclists are desperate to get out on different trails. All we want is water, coke and energy **** at support stations along the way.

The only thing I like about the way this event has transformed, is the Stellenbosch Trail fund financial assistance.

Rant over, need to go wash my bike and drink a beer

They need to cater for the wannabes and will probably dumb down the trails as well.

Re the pricing, it is going to keep going up until the see that they cant hack it anymore, then they will either self correct or disappear into the ether. As long as people keep paying the entry fee it will keep on going up. As jy dom is gaan jy *** en betaal!! En jy moet!!

Vote with your wallet.

Bike races..... They cost a packet to organise, they cost a packet to enter, the timing system is always bad, the seeding is always wrong, the route is always dumbed down and people will always be held up on the single track.

With the new regulations who knows what aid stations will look like.

It seems a pretty thankless thing. I say can them and 

The OoT is a month away and seen no advertising nor receiving the normal regular email for the event. Not even listed on the Hub events page. Looked at the OoT webpage and feeling so disappointed with one of my favourite events.

It is scheduled for next month - Entries still open, so they aren't full from 2020 cancellation carry-overs. Normally, by this time all entries are long sold out.

Even if argued that CV19 is keeping riders away - why the increase in fees ? reduced trail options ? (when cutting their cost compared to their past event - thinking of the tents with Breakfasts, Lunches, Bands,

I loved this event but even from the second or third year, the entry fees starting climbing - and the organisers kept loading the event management expenses.

The elaborate meals and music and tents just add costs that aren't required - (replaced this year with breakfast and lunch packs etc.)

Sure you get a lunch and breakfast packs  - This is really a priority and attraction for the riders yeah ?

(even adding a cycle top in the package doesn't do it for me. I have three from previous entries and they all fit like **** )

The challenge and fun of this event was the trails but it takes km to get there and back.

2014 - we had 65 and 68

2015 - 60 and 65

2016 - 65 and 60

2017 - 55 and 58

2018 - 58 and 49

2019 - 50 and 60

and now 45 and 40 - what ? The route maps have not been announces (Jonkers fire damage contributing)

but I don't think there is going to be anything new or exciting from the "routes not open to the public" teaser.

And don't give me CV19 excuses for R1600 and a ride around the block - all cyclists are desperate to get out on different trails. All we want is water, coke and energy **** at support stations along the way.

The only thing I like about the way this event has transformed, is the Stellenbosch Trail fund financial assistance.

E- Bikes have taken over while you were sleeping  :whistling:

(even adding a cycle top in the package doesn't do it for me. I have three from previous entries and they all fit like **** )

2014 - we had 65 and 68

2015 - 60 and 65

2016 - 65 and 60

2017 - 55 and 58

2018 - 58 and 49

2019 - 50 and 60

i was just going to say because it's a stillwater event not a dirtopia one.

but I see the 2019 entry fee was R1600 too, the reduced distance is probably jonkers dictated?

I stopped doing mtb races when the market dictated 50% of the entry fee goes into hype. I don't like paying for pointless stuff. Give me a kerkbazaar pretrap in a destination area and I'd be keen.

Bike races..... They cost a packet to organise, they cost a packet to enter, the timing system is always bad, the seeding is always wrong, the route is always dumbed down and people will always be held up on the single track.

With the new regulations who knows what aid stations will look like.

It seems a pretty thankless thing. I say can them and 

Fully agree. I think the days of events  are numbered for a variety of reasons as you have mentioned.I have done a couple of OoT and enjoyed them.With the prospect of a third wave looming big in the background  the chances of this event getting postponement must be pretty high .

Fully agree. I think the days of events  are numbered for a variety of reasons as you have mentioned.I have done a couple of OoT and enjoyed them.With the prospect of a third wave looming big in the background  the chances of this event getting postponement must be pretty high .

I think the gathering limit is 250 people at the moment - so with entries still open perhaps they are still short - and will go ahead.

I think the gathering limit is 250 people at the moment - so with entries still open perhaps they are still short - and will go ahead.

Only way these events work is if they have multiple starts on the same day.  250 people can not cover the "event costs".

The "covid regs" certainly part of the "current" problem.

However, the larger issue of ever increasing event prices has nothing to do with covid.

A friend did the W2W each year.  This was where he met up with his varsity buddies each year.  After the 3rd or 4th event they did the prices started getting higher and higher .... without adding anything to their "event experience".  They coughed up for 2 of the expensive events, then called it quits on W2W.  BUT, by this time W2W was on a publicity high, and fully subscribed .... they certainly did not miss the riders on a budget, that helped to build the brand.

the same pattern is visible in many other events, again, looking past covid.

Voting with our wallets is our only option.  But there seems to be enough people willing to pay these prices ....

Let's see how this plays out over 2 or 3 years post covid .....Either we need to re-evaluate what we consider "expensive", or prices will drop ....

i was just going to say because it's a stillwater event not a dirtopia one.

but I see the 2019 entry fee was R1600 too, the reduced distance is probably jonkers dictated?

I stopped doing mtb races when the market dictated 50% of the entry fee goes into hype. I don't like paying for pointless stuff. Give me a kerkbazaar pretrap in a destination area and I'd be keen.

.As you say............ 50% of the entry fee goes into hype. I don't like paying for pointless stuff. Give me a kerkbazaar pretrap in a destination area and I'd be keen.

Couldn't agree more !

As far as options for distance; still unlimited options excluding Jonkers;

- Banhoek, Boschendal, (out drakenstein/wemmerhoek, Paarl, wellington direction)  Botmaskop, then Murant's Murati and Delvera, Simonsberg (only 8km from start ; as crow flies) on the way is Nooitgedagt piece and Elsenberg, In the other direction;- bergpad, g-spot variation creativity, Paradys zig-zag, MontMarie, Stellenzight direction, Wannabee trails,  etc. gives lots of potential distances.

Have not even mentioned Bottelary trails yet (included in some previous years - they are in fantastic and under-utilised condition !)

But, as per a earlier comment, some people just gotta pay and learn for themselves

(K en betaal is die wet van transvaal)

so, now time to spend my energy on other stuff - and as the saying goes:- The best helmsmen stand on shore

Only way these events work is if they have multiple starts on the same day.  250 people can not cover the "event costs".

The "covid regs" certainly part of the "current" problem.

However, the larger issue of ever increasing event prices has nothing to do with covid.

A friend did the W2W each year.  This was where he met up with his varsity buddies each year.  After the 3rd or 4th event they did the prices started getting higher and higher .... without adding anything to their "event experience".  They coughed up for 2 of the expensive events, then called it quits on W2W.  BUT, by this time W2W was on a publicity high, and fully subscribed .... they certainly did not miss the riders on a budget, that helped to build the brand.

the same pattern is visible in many other events, again, looking past covid.

Voting with our wallets is our only option.  But there seems to be enough people willing to pay these prices ....

Let's see how this plays out over 2 or 3 years post covid .....Either we need to re-evaluate what we consider "expensive", or prices will drop ....

Agree. Done the W2W many times and same as the Sani2S - prices just going crazy.

Agree. Done the W2W many times and same as the Sani2S - prices just going crazy.

Can't help but think that big part of this is that for a while we had a boom with sponsors like big banks pumping big money into sponsoring stage races & together with the novelty of doing stage races we were spoiled with a jol that wasn't sustainable in the long run.

I would give Stillwater the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing, most likely there are expenses we are not aware of and one needs to be aware that no race can survive without big sponsors on "reasonable" entry fees alone.

If your aim is just to have some fun on your bike all organised events especially stage races represent extremely bad value for money, cost wise nothing can compete with organising a ride yourself with a few mates. So I guess one has to decide what you hope to get out of an event before parting with the entrance fees.

I'm with Shebeen, nowadays I only enter the kerkbasaar races or if the riding represents an unique experience (Trans Augrabies the last stage race I entered, was awesome but will do something else next time)

Edited by Skubarra