[Event] Piket-Bo-Berg Open Weekend

Delanie

Please be sure to take a working tube and some bombs/plugs. I have spent WAY too much time there helping people fix punctures who have no spares or didn't bother to top up sealant etc...

It's pretty rocky and there are some sharp edges. Make sure you don't get stranded!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

beer talk I hear.... a good post ride beer is a big deal to many MTBers, but obviously you don't need a toureg tent to do it right.

Your local options are limited to Darling brewery (darling), and maybe CBC (paarl) if you're it's on your way.

however mr google just sent me here to porterville!!

https://brewmasters.co.za/brewery/halfmanshof-indie-ale-craft-brewery/

some feedback from whoever is going would be great.

and then if you really want to travel a little bit north, cederberg's Nieuwbrew is EXCELLENT and can be found closest at piekenierkloof farmstall https://www.nieuwbrew.co.za/stockists

Sjoe, Mouton's Valley is a lekker day on the bike.

Registration and signing out was super slick. These type of events is where I'll be spending in the future, this was way more fun than racing these trails for me.

Defs one to put on the list for next year again.

Delanie en span, rerig baie dankie.

Flip, ek stem saam.

It was a rather tough day out but I just took it slow where I needed to and had belting fun on the downs. My 170/180 bike performed really well considering the distance and climbing but because much of that is quite tech it worked great- pity about the rather unfit rider. The downs were where it really shone though - you could really klap the fun stuff with no worries about tyres or bottoming out. These are some of the most fun and proper mtb tracks on the planet I believe. And they seem to keep adding more. There was some brand new stuff on the 45.  It was fun not racing and chatting to people along the way and playing catch on the downs. 

Sjoe, Mouton's Valley is a lekker day on the bike.

Registration and signing out was super slick. These type of events is where I'll be spending in the future, this was way more fun than racing these trails for me.

Defs one to put on the list for next year again.

Delanie en span, rerig baie dankie.

Agree, what an awesome day out. I will be there for every open weekend for sure!

Hopefully next time we can do the camp / weekend trip again rather than just a day trip. 

Really enjoyed it just a pity one cannot enjoy the magnificent views as the course demands your attention all the time.

Anybody have an idea what the temperature was Saturday morning ???  Blerrie hot !!

As per previous years, really nice event and a a proper day out. The changes to the 45 km route was really good and I'll be back again.

Hopefully we can camp at Mouton farm underneath those Oak trees next to the dam one day without having to do The U. 

Flip, ek stem saam.

It was a rather tough day out but I just took it slow where I needed to and had belting fun on the downs. My 170/180 bike performed really well considering the distance and climbing but because much of that is quite tech it worked great- pity about the rather unfit rider. The downs were where it really shone though - you could really klap the fun stuff with no worries about tyres or bottoming out. These are some of the most fun and proper mtb tracks on the planet I believe. And they seem to keep adding more. There was some brand new stuff on the 45.  It was fun not racing and chatting to people along the way and playing catch on the downs. 

At least I wasn't the only dumbass doing the 45km on a 180F/170R bike  :lol:

What a day out .  Thanks to  Vikus and his team .  The trails and teh views were insane.  Loved every second.

Top weekend of riding. From start to finish everything was just lekker. Sign in was easy and uncomplicated. The routes well marked. The trails next level. Thanks to the good folk of Piketberg for a real treat. Hope we can do this again ! And this open weekend format just works. 

Lekker pics guys, thx.

The feedback I got from some Epic riding marathon bike equipped friends of mine was that they didn't enjoy the trails on the 45 that much. I think it was a combination of technical trail overload and being a bit under-biked with 100mm and brain equipped shocks. I think they just need to HTFU though :-) 

Edited by Headshot

Lekker pics guys, thx.

The feedback I got from some Epic riding marathon bike equipped friends of mine was that they didn't enjoy the trails on the 45 that much. I think it was a combination of technical trail overload and being a bit under-biked with 100mm and brain equipped shocks. I think they just need to HTFU though :-)

Naah, your friends need some cement. And maybe to spend less time on flow trails and add in a rocky trails every now and then.

Lekker pics guys, thx.

My mates on scalpels also struggled.  Been telling them for years to get trail bikes.