Specialized level-up the Levo with new geometry, firmware and a haircut

News bot

Specialized have released the latest iteration of their do-it-all electric mountain bike, the Levo. The new Levo brings updated (and adjustable) frame geometry along with a new wheel size configuration of 29" up front and 27.5" in the rear - generally known as a "mullet bike". A new control unit to improve the ride experience with a raft software improvements, a new digital display, over-the-air updates and more. These, along with all-round improvements are said to make for a more natural ride feel, better range and control, and improved reliability in any conditions.

More details in the press release from Specialized below.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different wheel sizes means carrying 2 different tubes.

Just carry a 27.5, fits in a 29" wheel. I used to have bikes with different wheel sizes and didn't feel like swopping out the tube in my backpack every time. Luckily tubes stretch.

Nice to see a 700wh battery in the 22kg package, but realise that’s the s-works model time will tell how reliable these bikes are compared to the old Levo (brose 2.1) motors. Going full enduro geometry was only a matter of time.

Nice to see a 700wh battery in the 22kg package, but realise that’s the s-works model time will tell how reliable these bikes are compared to the old Levo (brose 2.1) motors. Going full enduro geometry was only a matter of time.

500W.h in the base Levo models

R22k for a 700W.h ....

Are they saying that you need a new bike because all the previous bikes they sold were no good? Different wheel sizes... next you gonna tell me that a 172.5 crank is better than a 175.

Mr Copperhead

We regret to inform you that your application for a position in our marketing department has been unsucesful.

Yours in two wheels.

The mullet setup is only from the Turbo Levo Pro and up, the Turbo Levo Expert and below is 29" front and rear ????

Are they saying that you need a new bike because all the previous bikes they sold were no good? Different wheel sizes... next you gonna tell me that a 172.5 crank is better than a 175.

Get it right  - when you buy the bike there is a questionaire that asks when cycling bike parks, do you normally lap clockwise or counter clockwise. So if most of your trails are clcokwise, you get a 172.5 on the right and a 175 on the left.

They spec for an intended purpose

For me the only good thing about bikes like this is that they help to drive the tech forward and hopefully that spills over into the commuter market which will get more people riding to work/shops/etc instead of going in their cars. Other than that it's a toy for the rich who will use the grid to charge up a battery for recreational purposes to do something they their legs can do anyway, and then complain when the power goes off twice a day. Maybe I should do some yoga and drink less coffee but that's just how I feel. 

But credit where it's due - Specialized do make some good looking ebikes. 

The mullet setup is only from the Turbo Levo Pro and up, the Turbo Levo Expert and below is 29" front and rear

Anything below the Pro on their site will be the Gen 2 Levo so will have 29" front and rear. For now the Gen 3 is only available in SWORKS and Pro spec.

I'm assuming this was tongue in cheek, but just to ensure we're not a fake news source here is the MSRP per their website:

Levo Gen 3 Sworks: R240k

Levo Gen 3 Pro: R195k

:eek:

We had the opportunity to join a video launch with their engineering and marketing teams & other media. The motor reliability/durability was a something that they spent some time on - the belt in particular. They tested a number of new options and materials and seemed pretty satisfied it was a big improvement, but as you say... time will tell.

They did mention that the new 2.2 motor tune will be "retrofittable" to the 2.1 motors. So even some Gen 2 owners will benefit from the software/firmware improvements for this bike. 

Other small touches were things like the waterproofing of the motor and electrical components. Although according to them the Gen 2 was already best in class here, the Gen 3 is significantly better in this regard.