SRAM bring AXS wireless ecosystem to GX Eagle drivetrain

News bot

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our dealers pay duties on bicycle components when imported above a certain value?

I disagree - Bike parts are duty free irrespective of the value according to shippers that i've used

The classic overpriced SA retail market again. Rest of the world = $600, ...SA...$830....coz you know, (long list of excuses).

I'm happy to send some across from State side at $700 

*comic font for those on mobile devices*

Is there an explanation why there is a R3-R4k difference in the pricing - I understand exchange rates play a part in this but why does is feel like we get the short end of the stick with this pricing? Not pointing fingers at any dealers or suppliers - I know it's tough out there so please don't bite  :)

In the Appliance industry Head office didn't look at day to day exchange rates.  They set a fixed rate for the year at which they expect the exchange rate to average out.  For example, they may expect the average Dollar / Rand to be 1/18 for the year.  Pricing is then based on that figure.  If rand drops, they score.  If Rand goes to 20 or something stupid like that the customer scores (in theory).  Of course, when the Rand does hit 20, most retailers up their price anyway...

And then they also factor in higher distribution costs etc (shipping, support.).  Being at the end of Africa means SA will always be more expensive - but shouldn't be $200 more expensive!

Its not the exchange rate - I worked out 9K at Euro ROE of 18.5 in fact i can get Euro today on Shyft for 17.9 so it would cost me about 8.7K

I think the difference is locally there are more companies in the margin chain - OEM -> Importer -> LBS which adds over 30% to the price.

Most online shops in Europe are supplied direct from the OEM.

I work for a German company with a local importer and we dictate how much the local importer can markup, its now where near the numbers that bike parts are marked up. 

CWC used to be the closest in terms of pricing compared to overseas online shops. I believe I read somewhere that this was because they essentially bypassed the local distributor on certain parts (drivetrain bundles come to mind). Then they get bought out by the notorious Cycle Lab and slowly the real specials started to disappear. I haven't seen a real special from CWC in a very long time.

Seems to me like there are some stakeholders around with an interest to keep the South African cycling retail market exactly the way it was before CWC started causing a stir.

Also, aliens and crystal skulls are real.

Oops, I got home with GX AXS on my bike. Will post first impressions and pics tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the mechanical XO1 Eagle it is replacing.

ENJOY !!

Oops, I got home with GX AXS on my bike. Will post first impressions and pics tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the mechanical XO1 Eagle it is replacing.

That X01 goodies you had was rubbish, I'll pick them up from you and throw away for you ????????

That X01 goodies you had was rubbish, I'll pick them up from you and throw away for you ????????

Hey. Moenie kom indruk nie ...

Should be some nice specials in the classifieds coming up ....

Edited by ChrisF

Ordered mine from BikeMob late last night, it arrived earlier today, woooohooo :D

Looking forward to reading your reviews. I'll probably get mine in april or june !

Hahaha well for a fee you are welcome to ;)

Didn't expect you'll pay me to take it from you as well. Such a great man you are ????????

Edited by Meezo

You can still get the stuff in from overseas if you are clever. That's what I would do.  

Paying double VAT and duties is not clever ... it is desperate... :ph34r:

Opportunity for Wolftooth to produce replacement jockey wheels for your AXS derailleur? So you can run that Shimano 1x12 chain with confidence...

Garbaruk