SRAM bring AXS wireless ecosystem to GX Eagle drivetrain

News bot

Oops, I got home with GX AXS on my bike. Will post first impressions and pics tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the mechanical XO1 Eagle it is replacing.

I didn't take pics, but it looks like the ones in the article so you don't really need to see that.

I swopped out the pulley wheels with cSixx ones. My previous deraillieur's was tired so I replaced them a few weeks back. Seemed like a waste to let the nice blingy cSixx ones go to waste.

Performance on the GX AXS is insanely good. The shifting is 100% spot on every time and is instantaneous. I am going to go as far as to say it is in a different league compared to the mechanical XO1 Eagle (which is way better than mechanical GX). So in short this cannot be compared to mechanical GX at all. I think the only thing it can be compared to is XO1 and XX1 AXS, and I can't do that because I haven't owned either of those. But the fact that the only difference between them and GX AXS is the cage material, I think it's gonna be similair in performance.

As for setup, making micro asjustments while riding is very simple and using the app is also intuitive. The only thing I am still getting used to is the shifting - I find myself going the wrong way (ie to a harder gear when I want to go easier), but the buttons can be switched around which I will try before I go out for another ride. The actual feel is very different to a mechanical shifter - it feels like a button - but that is a good thing.

The only downside if this whole system is that the deraillieur is very chunky compared to a mechanical one - so it looks a bit odd. But the neater cockpit makes up for that...

Anyway, long story short, I am very happy with the purchase. I think it's worth then money, although I have to say if I paid the 22k odd for XO1 or XX1 I don't think that would be worth the cash. For reference, the cassette and chain are XO1, which in my experience shifts much better than the GX equivalents - so overall this is still not a cheap groupset...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't take pics, but it looks like the ones in the article so you don't really need to see that.

I swopped out the pulley wheels with cSixx ones. My previous deraillieur's was tired so I replaced them a few weeks back. Seemed like a waste to let the nice blingy cSixx ones go to waste.

Performance on the GX AXS is insanely good. The shifting is 100% spot on every time and is instantaneous. I am going to go as far as to say it is in a different league compared to the mechanical XO1 Eagle (which is way better than mechanical GX). So in short this cannot be compared to mechanical GX at all. I think the only thing it can be compared to is XO1 and XX1 AXS, and I can't do that because I haven't owned either of those. But the fact that the only difference between them and GX AXS is the cage material, I think it's gonna be similair in performance.

As for setup, making micro asjustments while riding is very simple and using the app is also intuitive. The only thing I am still getting used to is the shifting - I find myself going the wrong way (ie to a harder gear when I want to go easier), but the buttons can be switched around which I will try before I go out for another ride. The actual feel is very different to a mechanical shifter - it feels like a button - but that is a good thing.

The only downside if this whole system is that the deraillieur is very chunky compared to a mechanical one - so it looks a bit odd. But the neater cockpit makes up for that...

Anyway, long story short, I am very happy with the purchase. I think it's worth then money, although I have to say if I paid the 22k odd for XO1 or XX1 I don't think that would be worth the cash. For reference, the cassette and chain are XO1, which in my experience shifts much better than the GX equivalents - so overall this is still not a cheap groupset...

where did you buy ? This morning my XTR worked decently but I did see a mechanical GX deraileur go through a wheel and breaking spokes, which shortened our ride and didn't give me much confidence in GX components  :lol:  :lol:

I heard everything is sold out anyways... let's see when I finally get my pay if there's anything for sale.

where did you buy ? This morning my XTR worked decently but I did see a mechanical GX deraileur go through a wheel and breaking spokes, which shortened our ride and didn't give me much confidence in GX components :lol: :lol:

I heard everything is sold out anyways... let's see when I finally get my pay if there's anything for sale.

I bought from the Hanger Bike Co - they had one so you won't have luck there. As I understand there were only 250 in SA yesterday, so most shops got 1 unit. But they are taking pre orders for delivery end April.

I was also sceptical going GX. I have had mechanical GX Eagle before - it was absolute shyte when I compared it to XO1 11spd as well as XO1 Eagle. This is however so far very impressive. Watch this vid to see comparison between AXS GX, XO, and XX:

https://youtu.be/XgH0VF9Ihr4

Time will tell how it holds up though. I am sure I will be able to be a bit more objective in a few weeks when the excitement (and need to justify to myself that I spent my money well) wears off.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Paying double VAT and duties is not clever ... it is desperate... :ph34r:

The good stores don't charge VAT on export goods to my knowledge and there is no local duty on cycling parts. If you are talking about another country, as you were...

I bought from the Hanger Bike Co - they had one so you won't have luck there. As I understand there were only 250 in SA yesterday, so most shops got 1 unit. But they are taking pre orders for delivery end April.

I was also sceptical going GX. I have had mechanical GX Eagle before - it was absolute shyte when I compared it to XO1 11spd as well as XO1 Eagle. This is however so far very impressive. Watch this vid to see comparison between AXS GX, XO, and XX:

Time will tell how it holds up though. I am sure I will be able to be a bit more objective in a few weeks when the excitement (and need to justify to myself that I spent my money well) wears off.

Its only the cage that differs from XO1 and XX1 and of course it says GX which won't please the Golfers.

Swapping out the cage for a CSixx voids the warranty but I reckon the XO1 or XX1 cages are cheaper than the CSixx unit anyway. Weight difference from XX1 AXS to GX AXS derailleur is 73gr.

The cage and titanium bolts are responsible for this. If you have an old mechanical XX1 derailleur you can probably scavenge its bolts and fit to the GX AXS.

Shifter pod is exactly the same except for the mounting hardware colour and steel bolt.

GX AXS will do nicely thank you SRAM

PS: and that steel derailleur cage doesn't look and feel cheap. It's quite nicely made with some soft edges on the back plate that alludes to a forged part and the outer cage is quite thick with the bolts loctite in place

Edited by DieselnDust

I will wait for my next Business trip to Germany - 9K for the same kit

... or wait for Shimano wireless :ph34r:

Edited by Christie

Its only the cage that differs from XO1 and XX1 and of course it says GX which won't please the Golfers.

Swapping out the cage for a CSixx voids the warranty but I reckon the XO1 or XX1 cages are cheaper than the CSixx unit anyway. Weight difference from XX1 AXS to GX AXS derailleur is 73gr.

The cage and titanium bolts are responsible for this. If you have an old mechanical XX1 derailleur you can probably scavenge its bolts and fit to the GX AXS.

Shifter pod is exactly the same except for the mounting hardware colour and steel bolt.

GX AXS will do nicely thank you SRAM

I didn't do the whole cage swop out - I just did the pulley wheels because that's what I had. Personally a steel cage is a plus for me, more robust. It's on a trail bike anyway, and I weigh more than 100kg - I don't care about 60gr. So this really is awesome for me since I have been itching for AXS for more than a year now.

I gotta be honest though, I was just saying two weeks ago I don't know how people can defile a Yeti with GX, now I've gone and done it. I am gonna get so much crap from my friends for that one! (Not coz they are snobs - because if my comment two weeks ago hahaha)

PS: and that steel derailleur cage doesn't look and feel cheap. It's quite nicely made with some soft edges on the back plate that alludes to a forged part and the outer cage is quite thick with the bolts loctite in place

Almost looks forged, not stamped. If it weren't for the branding I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference between GX, XO1, and XX1 just from handling it.

I didn't do the whole cage swop out - I just did the pulley wheels because that's what I had. Personally a steel cage is a plus for me, more robust. It's on a trail bike anyway, and I weigh more than 100kg - I don't care about 60gr. So this really is awesome for me since I have been itching for AXS for more than a year now.

I gotta be honest though, I was just saying two weeks ago I don't know how people can defile a Yeti with GX, now I've gone and done it. I am gonna get so much crap from my friends for that one! (Not coz they are snobs - because if my comment two weeks ago hahaha)

You need other friends ????

Paying double VAT and duties is not clever ... it is desperate... :ph34r:

done this many times ordering my stuff from Germany.

almost all the time price worked out the same or slightly cheaper than local suppliers.

Im referring mainly to shimano and sram sram.

local price means nothing if suppliers never have stock.

ive gone thru the scenario too many times with both companies.

They try block locals from buying overseas.

Dont have stock locally.

Answer from local agents “have you tried getting it from overseas?”

Catch 22. If everyone buys from overseas then the parent companies close down the distributor network to the country. Yeah we score on price but when something breaks and you to deal with Viktr Cznkzsksstovic who doesn't speak a word of English then ooopss let me try the US distribution centre.

If the parent companies don't protect the supply chains they end up with much more complexity in managing the supply chain from factory to user themselves. That requires a lot more capitol and doesn't necessarily generate more capital. Everytime a manufacturer tries this it degrades into a crap shoot between warranty claims and end user.

We pay more in SA because we're a small market and we don't attract the bulk order discounts that larger markets like the USA and Europe attract. Stock allocated to our distributors sits on the shelves longer or it gets sold to markets with back orders to be fulfilled. Guess what, our distributors then have to wait for restocking.

Welcome to living and operating in Africa. Every industry in SA faces the same problem and that is exaggerated during these covid times

I’ve had AXS for a while and after 1 ride I swapped the shifting as it felt counter intuitive - did the same with my gravel bike

The GX option looks awesome

I’ve had AXS for a while and after 1 ride I swapped the shifting as it felt counter intuitive - did the same with my gravel bike

The GX option looks awesome

Swapped on today's ride - much better.

I .

Now the other Yeti riders will see that you are not a real dentist.

We saw you coming from that first pinkbike article about it. You didn't disappoint.

Ps: your friends are jealous. Although I'll build my robo-jockey with a shimano cassette.