SRAM bring AXS wireless ecosystem to GX Eagle drivetrain

News bot

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gifmini_20210330_140206.jpg Just got my new toy and busy fitting it now.

Dead easy to do and set up. Even comes with a multi tool and Sram drinks coaster so it must work well  :whistling:

Don't indeed hitting it with a rubber mallet though......

dont, some idiot broke his hanger doing  so  :lol:  :lol:

got my hands on a kit, with the tygerberg membership discount from CWC!

I wouldn't say it was easy peasy to fit.

Firstly, bit annoying that you have to take your grips off to put the remote on... I actually ****** up a brand new esi grip (okok maybe 200km old, pretty new) trying to take it off, so had to put back an old for now...

Then I ****** up the screw that held my old shifter, quite a mission to take it off :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Then I do understand why they don't advertise it as compatible with shimano :

- Firstly because you do have to adjust a couple gears that don't seem  to have the same spacing

- Then because the provided chain gap tool doesn't work on the shimano cassette, you don't have the space between the first gear and the chain to use it properly.

Both issues are very easy to solve though, seems to be running pretty smooth, I'll take the little one for a ride later see how it feels, if it needs further ajustments, then tomorrow bloemies recon !!

EDIT : Ah man it works even better than on my road bike. Maybe I should get an ultegra cassette/chain rather than the force  :lol:  :lol:   

Edited by Jbr

Firstly, bit annoying that you have to take your grips off to put the remote on... I actually ****** up a brand new esi grip (okok maybe 200km old, pretty new) trying to take it off, so had to put back an old for now...

Then I ****** up the screw that held my old shifter, quite a mission to take it off :ph34r:  :ph34r:

- Firstly because you do have to adjust a couple gears that don't seem  to have the same spacing

- Then because the provided chain gap tool doesn't work on the shimano cassette, you don't have the space between the first gear and the chain to use it properly.

Both issues are very easy to solve though, seems to be running pretty smooth, I'll take the little one for a ride later see how it feels, if it needs further ajustments, then tomorrow bloemies recon !!

EDIT : Ah man it works even better than on my road bike. Maybe I should get an ultegra cassette/chain rather than the force  :lol:  :lol:   

So you recommend fitting to a Shimano setup? 

Wierd that you had some spacing issues. The combo seems to work flawlessly on mechanical systems.

The b gap tool shouldn't be a problem it's designed for use with 52t and 50t low gear sprockets. The 51 of your Shimano is in the middle so...

This system has sold out like hot cakes. Almost faster than Cape epic early bird entries

So you recommend fitting to a Shimano setup? 

Yep, works much better than my old XTR !

Wierd that you had some spacing issues. The combo seems to work flawlessly on mechanical systems.

The b gap tool shouldn't be a problem it's designed for use with 52t and 50t low gear sprockets. The 51 of your Shimano is in the middle so...

This system has sold out like hot cakes. Almost faster than Cape epic early bird entries

the gap between the first and second gear must be too small, there's not even space to put the tool with the chain on the 2nd gear (it's not the same tool as the one shown on the XX1/XO1 fitting tutorial)

Put one one and worth every penny.No more cables all over and shifting is fast and very good even under pressure on the pedals

The trim isn’t per gear as I thought, it’s just like the barel ajuster as it impacts all the gears. I was so convinced it was per gear already on my force AXS

Edited by Jbr

Knipe Racing yesterday installed the GX AXS unit I got from BikeMob, along with a 10-52t GX Eagle cassette. I took it out to Jonkershoek today. It replaced an 11-speed XO1 derailleur and an XG-1150 cassette.

It's a massive upgrade. Shifting was extremely smooth, quiet, fast, intuitive. The paddle position is different to what I'm used to so I found myself having to think about how to change gears many times and my thumb going somewhere where there was nothing. My cycling friend, who's been riding an AXS for over a year, said I should swap out the paddle with an alternative SRAM made option, which was on sale recently at Evobikes. 

But yes, massive upgrade, super happy, glad I waited for SRAM to bring out an affordable option. It talks to my Garmin Edge 530 too, pretty cool having the gear number on the screen.

post-128151-0-47569200-1617395206_thumb.jpg

Edited by aquaratza

Knipe Racing yesterday installed the GX AXS unit I got from BikeMob, along with a 10-52t GX Eagle cassette. I took it out to Jonkershoek today. It replaced an 11-speed XO1 derailleur and an XG-1150 cassette.

It's a massive upgrade. Shifting was extremely smooth, quiet, fast, intuitive. The paddle position is different to what I'm used to so I found myself having to think about how to change gears many times and my thumb going somewhere where there was nothing. My cycling friend, who's been riding an AXS for over a year, said I should swap out the paddle with an alternative SRAM made option, which was on sale recently at Evobikes. 

But yes, massive upgrade, super happy, glad I waited for SRAM to bring out an affordable option. It talks to my Garmin Edge 530 too, pretty cool having the gear number on the screen.

attachicon.gif20210402_094731.jpg

Mine arrived today .....

Any tips for a novice bike mechanic?