Long Weekend MTB away - suggestions please

JBK

Hi Guys

Looking for a venue for just the wife and myself to go for long weekend in June.

It's my birthday so we're leaving the kids behind (for the first time) and looking for somewhere no more than about 2 and 1/2 hours drive from JHB with awesome mountain biking and great accommodation (no camping please - weekend away in lieu of 50th birthday party, so a spoil).

We both ride MTB and usually about 80 - 100km rides in and around JHB. Looking for scenic and nice flowing routes and trails to ride three days in a row. Not looking for downhill or really gnarly singletrack trails as we want to also enjoy time off the bikes.

Suggestions please but also comment on the type and distance of MTB trails / routes - I may contact you for GPX files.!

Nice to have self catering option but preferably somewhere where we can also go for a light lunch and or dinner close by.

Thanks

Howdy, Karkloof in the KZN Midlands is a great riding spot. Plenty trails through the forests and pretty well marked too.

Hi Guys

Looking for a venue for just the wife and myself to go for long weekend in June.

It's my birthday so we're leaving the kids behind (for the first time) and looking for somewhere no more than about 2 and 1/2 hours drive from JHB with awesome mountain biking and great accommodation (no camping please - weekend away in lieu of 50th birthday party, so a spoil).

We both ride MTB and usually about 80 - 100km rides in and around JHB. Looking for scenic and nice flowing routes and trails to ride three days in a row. Not looking for downhill or really gnarly singletrack trails as we want to also enjoy time off the bikes.

Howdy, Karkloof in the KZN Midlands is a great riding spot. Plenty trails through the forests and pretty well marked too.

Hi Guys

Thanks buddy - but not further than 2 and half hours drive from jozi.

Wakkerstroom in Mpumalanga. Brilliant accommodation at Wetlands Game Reserve, really cheap with good food and fantastic MTB/Gravel riding!

Be sure to go to the Oude Stasie for a dop and the Wakkerstroom Hotel for a meal if you end up going there

Bit more than 2 1/2 hours, but central Drakensberg is world class.

Theres a range of accommodation options like Little Switzerland. But I'd take a look at somewhere like the Cavern, The Ledges, Hlalanathi, Mont Auxs, Tower Pizza Lodge etc... all near All Out Adventures. Plus you'll be on the doorstep of some damned amazing riding on the All Out trail network.

About three hours drive or so.

Edited by Danger Dassie

Bit more than 2 1/2 hours, but central Drakensberg is world class.

Theres a range of accommodation options like Little Switzerland. But I'd take a look at somewhere like the Cavern, The Ledges, Hlalanathi, Mont Auxs, Tower Pizza Lodge etc... all near All Out Adventures. Plus you'll be on the doorstep of some damned amazing riding on the All Out trail network.

About three hours drive or so.

I'd second The Cavern. Lovely accommodation and so much good riding in that area. Really decent wine cellar too, which makes the post-ride recovery easier...

Drakensberg region . Dumbe cottages on Wheretostay is a great place for what you want to do .Remote ,romantic with wonderful scenery , hiking and mtbing on Solly,s folly and more .Great restaurant if you go down oliviershoek pass before Bergville  

• 1 year later...

Resurrection time. 

Looking for the same but willing to go a little further on the traveling. 

Drakensburg is definitely the destination and we can do around 30km rides with 500m of climbing comfortably (aka without me getting stabbed) 

Bergville has some trails on Trailfork. More suggestions please. 

Champagne valley has trails that start at the center opposite champagne sports resort/the brewery

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Karkloof is a good option, and only a few offramps passed the Central 'berg.

Done Karkloof a lot in the past so we are looking for something new to try out. 

Can't beat a good Karkloof weekend though. 

Magoebaskloof, with the upcoming Magoeba Trek the trails should be marked and maintained?

Spin, we're off to Mount Anderson in a few weeks for 3 days. 

You'll need a group of 10 though to get the numbers for the accommodation