Riding the Cross Cape route: tips for your 7 day ride plan

Bike Hub Features

By now it's likely that you might have come across or heard of the Cross Cape route. It's a cycling route put together by Wesgro and Western Cape Tourism in a bid to encourage cycle tourism in South Africa. Spoiler alert: It’s a gem!

Earlier this month Rae Trew-Browne went to a solo mission to discover what the Cross Cape route has to offer. You can catch the photo packed recap of his trip here for some inspiration, but if you're considering your own Cross Cape adventure read on! Rae has some tips to share below.

Click here to view the article

Would love to do this ride, unfortunately the safety in SA is of concern, every now and then I flick through the Cycling Safety thread, seems like incidents are increasing everywhere with some real horror stories. Pity.

Thanks for the write up Rae nice to have a breakdown of the route. I'm definitely going to give this a bash. It must have been such an experience. Out of interest I've been wanting to find out what do you or others pack in those bike bags that one needs for bike trips like these? They seem so slim and confined. Cheers

I’ve met Rae and he just looks like a guy who can ride and clearly judging by his first leg he can

I’ve done most of this ride and as an average rider, this is probably best done over 7 days minimum - some of the days are so tough. Avoid the hot months

Would love to do this ride, unfortunately the safety in SA is of concern, every now and then I flick through the Cycling Safety thread, seems like incidents are increasing everywhere with some real horror stories. Pity.

This ride is about as safe as it gets anywhere - not sure about Greyton to Stellies but the rest is super safe - that said it’s nice to have company for some of the tough days

I have previously done overnight trips on the Oudtshoorn to Calitzdorp and Calitzdorp to Vanwyksdorp legs solo in both directions.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I rode from Knysna to Hoekwil on the Seven Passes route and back after an overnight stay.

Pudding joined us on day one and for a few beers in his part of heaven and I can attest to the beauty of the rides.

Logistically it is easy to do an out and back overnight ride on any of the legs if you want to get a taste for the bike packing thing.

Edited by eddy

I have previously done overnight trips on the Oudtshoorn to Calitzdorp and Calitzdorp to Vanwyksdorp legs solo in both directions.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I rode from Knysna to Hoekwil on the Seven Passes route and back after an overnight stay.

Pudding joined us on day one and for a few beers in his part of heaven and I can attest to the beauty of the rides.

Logistically it is easy to do an out and back overnight ride on any of the legs if you want to get a taste for the bike packing thing.

Time wise and for practicality this is the one of the best ways to do it - not everyone is able to take off a week.

I plan to build some cottages on my land and offer accommodation for this sort of day to 2 day ride types.  If my guests look slow enough I'll even "guide" them

One of my many so far unfruitful ideas as I ponder my unemployment

Time wise and for practicality this is the one of the best ways to do it - not everyone is able to take off a week.

I plan to build some cottages on my land and offer accommodation for this sort of day to 2 day ride types.  If my guests look slow enough I'll even "guide" them

Base yourself in Hoekwil and ride to Oudtshoorn, spend the night there and ride back the next day. Ride to Knysna, overnight and ride back.

Would work for me.

Wayne, I have been itching to ask.

With you prior experience in flip flop`s if I recall correctly.

Is their not a cycling product, example bike bags, that can be done with the equipment and raw material to your disposal.

Possible to make tube and patch, two local bikes shop says hard to get items at the moment.

Being able to provide within the cycling industry is one of my dreams, but sadly for the future, desk jockey is my future.

Edited by DJuice

Wayne, I have been itching to ask.

With you prior experience in flip flop`s if I recall correctly.

Is their not a cycling product, example bike bags, that can be done with the equipment and raw material to your disposal.

Possible to make tube and patch, two local bikes shop says hard to get items at the moment.

Being able to provide within the cycling industry is one of my dreams, but sadly for the future, desk jockey is my future.

I thought about this but having staff in this country is for the brave and stupid.  For sure some people make a success out of it as I did for at least half of my 22 years but mostly I just made a salary and lead a great lifestyle which is invaluable.

I sold my premises, gave FNB their share and literally gave away the machinery I could - some stuff I couldn't even give away

When you make a product all about price, someone is always going to find a way to be cheaper.

Whatever is in my future I want no part of staff, BEE or unions.  I have no desire to create employment and be punished for it

I thought about this but having staff in this country is for the brave and stupid.  For sure some people make a success out of it as I did for at least half of my 22 years but mostly I just made a salary and lead a great lifestyle which is invaluable.

I sold my premises, gave FNB their share and literally gave away the machinery I could - some stuff I couldn't even give away

When you make a product all about price, someone is always going to find a way to be cheaper.

Whatever is in my future I want no part of staff, BEE or unions.  I have no desire to create employment and be punished for it

You dont have an industrial sowing machine lying around do you ?

You dont have an industrial sowing machine lying around do you ?

for planting SEEDS in a field, or do you mean a SEWING machine... :whistling:

sorry, could not resist, since SOWING machines do exist! ^_^

Chris

for planting SEEDS in a field, or do you mean a SEWING machine... :whistling:

sorry, could not resist, since SOWING machines do exist! ^_^

Chris

Monday!!

Edited by Eddy Gordo