Need some advice on Shimano Ultegra shifting issue.

Bateleur1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I can’t see you indicate the mileage done in the three years? You might have a worn out chain and cassette.

Chain and casette has been replaced and is well maintained. As I said the shifting between the other 10 gears is smooth and faultless.  Just that it did not go all the way.

Firstly loosen the cable at the rear completely and spin the cranks. If it does go into the smalles gear you know it is your cable. If not it can only be your limit screws or your hanger.

Not saying this is your problem but this is what I experienced with a 10spd Ultegra. And I had this frame for a year or so. Shifting also not going down. Tried everything in the book except new cables. Bought all the cables from brake to shifters. When I tried to remove the inner cable from the frame it did not want to come out. The inner cable guide got fused to the cable and did not want to move inside the guide. Had to remove the guide and make another plan. 

Check the frame guides and lube them well. Now its like a new groupset although at 20000km   

Firstly loosen the cable at the rear completely and spin the cranks. If it does go into the smalles gear you know it is your cable. If not it can only be your limit screws or your hanger.

One of the first things I did.  What I should confirm if after doing that see if I can push the derailer to the top and check that it does go all the way to the top.

I would say better choice, but don't they break?

Nah.  Not the way I ride in anyway.  I don't aero tuck for several reasons:

A) I can't

B) How does a soccerball aero tuck?

Hit a rock at almost 50 km/h this morning and the bike took it on the chin.  The front tyre not.

Pretty good bike in my opinion.

HI, i had exact same issue with my Ultegra 11spd. Eventually decided t check what was happening. all the other gears indexed perfectly. Decided to pull the cable out (also internal routing) at the shifter and thats where i saw the cable started "fraying" inside the shifter and would not let it shift into the smallest gear. replaced and lubed a new cable also cleaned the old existing housing. Its 100% now.
hope this helps. 

ps. make sure there are no small bits of dirt or old cable in the shifter.

Edited by Cappi

Very sexy bikes.

But they have a load of availability issues I have heard.  

Since Covid hit, bike suppliers in Germany just could not keep up with demand.