The headset from hell - Scott spark RC 900

MJ the Expat

I finally got my wife the bike she always wanted.

But, they hate each other right now. Like really. And I feel *** about it.

A few weeks after we got the the brand new bike, the headset started creaking.

I opened it up and was surprised to see that there were no aluminum headset cups. The bearing fits straight onto the carbon fibre.

The bike was due for its first service in a few days, so I decided to put a light coat of grease between the bearing and the carbon fiber. Just enough to shut it up.

A few days later, I took it to the bikeshop and told them what happened and what I did to make the creaking headset go away.

When I went to go fetch the bike, they told me to use carbon paste between the headset and the bearing.

Ok, if you say so. They even gave me some.

So, three weeks on and the creak is back with a vengeance. And my wife is in tears.

I was surprised to find that the bikeshop didn't remove the small coating of grease in the headset. That was still there.

I was expecting carbon paste...

Anyway, wiped it all clean and used the carbon paste as they suggested.

The headset is once again quiet but for how long, I don't know.

My question is: this is not supposed to happen on a brand new bike and yes, I should make a moer of a fuss about it BUT, I want to know: what is supposed to come between the bearing and the headset, keeping on mind the bearing goes straight onto the carbon?

I'll be swearing at the bike shop tomorrow but for now, I want to know what I don't know.

I have trust issues when it comes to bike shops - this isn't helping. ????

I finally got my wife the bike she always wanted.

But, they hate each other right now. Like really. And I feel *** about it.

A few weeks after we got the the brand new bike, the headset started creaking.

I opened it up and was surprised to see that there were no aluminum headset cups. The bearing fits straight onto the carbon fibre.

The bike was due for its first service in a few days, so I decided to put a light coat of grease between the bearing and the carbon fiber. Just enough to shut it up.

A few days later, I took it to the bikeshop and told them what happened and what I did to make the creaking headset go away.

When I went to go fetch the bike, they told me to use carbon paste between the headset and the bearing.

Ok, if you say so. They even gave me some.

So, three weeks on and the creak is back with a vengeance. And my wife is in tears.

I was surprised to find that the bikeshop didn't remove the small coating of grease in the headset. That was still there.

I was expecting carbon paste...

Anyway, wiped it all clean and used the carbon paste as they suggested.

The headset is once again quiet but for how long, I don't know.

My question is: this is not supposed to happen on a brand new bike and yes, I should make a moer of a fuss about it BUT, I want to know: what is supposed to come between the bearing and the headset, keeping on mind the bearing goes straight onto the carbon?

Carbon paste in a headset is a recipe for disaster???????? The granules are going to get in to the bearings, it’s a moving part, carbon paste shouldn’t be anywhere near it. I suggest finding a new LBS.

Grease on the crown of the fork, grease all over the bottom bearing, little bit of grease on the frame where each bearing sits, grease on the top bearing, grease on the expansion thing, put the headset top cap on, stem on, everything tightened until no play and then torque the stem bolts to spec.

Basically, grease everywhere. This should be cleaned and redone every few months (depends on conditions). If there is still a creak, it’s coming from somewhere else.

Majority of new frames will come with bearings directly to carbon. My last 5 bikes have been this way.

Edited by BikeisLife

Had a spin on a friend's rc pro over the weekend and it was spooky quiet.

If you don't trust the shop find another dealer who you feel more comfortable with. Shouting at them is just going to give you a headache.

Scott is a great brand and have never had issues with repairs/warranty.

Jip, as per the previous post - find another authorised Scott dealer.

Sadly some bike shops are good on the shop front, and crap in the workshop ....

Sadly many of us have gone through this frustrating process of cr@p after sales service, from various different brands.  

As for bikes creaking .... it does happen.  But a decent shop CAN resolve it.  Though creaking can be frustrating to pin point .... IF it is in the headset, then they really should solve it quickly.

Might be a silly question / suggestion but are you sure the creaking is coming from the headset bearing ?

I also bought my wife a brand new 2020 RC900 world cup (yellow one) in Nov last year.

After a few rides we had the same thing that definitely sounded like a creaking headset bearing - when under load and turning handlebars there was a constant creak, creak, creak.

So I narrowed it down to headset or cables but didn't go as far as you and open her up.

Took to my LBS bike shop (not where we bought the bike) and they found that when the bike was built, they didn't put foam into the frame around the cables, hence the creaking / ticking when turning handlebars.

They squirted in some foam and the bike is silky silent and the 2nd love of my wife's life.

My 2c from my experience...

Edited by JBK

Interesting.

The Foil is exactly the same.

I'm use carbon paste. Thanks for the tip.

The creak is definitely from the headset.

I'm not used to carbon paste near a bearing or grease onto carbon fiber.

I know grease was the solution on my previous bike that had aluminum cups pressed into the carbon.

I never had issues.

This thing though...

Iesh.

Might be a silly question / suggestion but are you sure the creaking is coming from the headset bearing ?

I also bought my wife a brand new 2020 RC900 world cup (yellow one) in Nov last year.

After a few rides we had the same thing that definitely sounded like a creaking headset bearing - when under load and turning handlebars there was a constant creak, creak, creak.

So I narrowed it down to headset or cables but didn't go as far as you and open her up.

Took to my LBS bike shop (not where we bought the bike) and they found that when the bike was built, they didn't put foam into the frame around the cables, hence the creaking / ticking when turning handlebars.

They squirted in some foam and the bike is silky silent and the 2nd love of my wife's life.

My 2c from my experience...

Well, the issue went away when I put a light grease onto the headset.

It came back a few weeks later which is where we are now.

I'll ask another LBS tomorrow and also try and get some advice from the manufacturer (if they'll respond...)

The creak is definitely from the headset.

I'm not used to carbon paste near a bearing or grease onto carbon fiber.

I know grease was the solution on my previous bike that had aluminum cups pressed into the carbon.

I never had issues.

This thing though...

Iesh.

I understand it as the carbon paste will sit between the outer bearing race and the carbon. In effect it wont go near the moving part of the bearing. At least that's what I'll try. I need to get some paste tomorrow though, I used the last of mine when I adjusted my position a couple of weeks ago.

Carbon safe grease or assembly compound should be all you need.

Avoid lithium grease.

Make sure to clean everything including where the stem contacts the steerer and where the stem face plate contacts the handle bar. Grease the surfaces.

Carbon paste goes onto any surface that requires grip. Bearing doesn’t.

Make sure everything is torqued to spec.

Had this banshee scream twice. Once on carbon seat rails and once on the headset/steering area.

Clean and grease fixed it permanently

Edited by Steady Spin

Make sure you tighten up the headset top cap really tight. It’s the one place on a carbon frame where an extra NM or two is fine. Fixed a lot of creaks for me.

Make sure you tighten up the headset top cap really tight. It’s the one place on a carbon frame where an extra NM or two is fine. Fixed a lot of creaks for me.

The top cap isn’t a bolt or there to hold the fork in the frame. It’s used to preload the headset bearings. Too tight and you affect your steering you will kill the bearings.

I had the same issue with a my TREK 9.9 - used light film of carbon assembly grease where bearings seat in the headset and on the carbon handle bars - sorted

This sounds weird to me: Yes, the bearing needs to fit into the carbon and no alu cup is needed but in my head (and my two hamsters in here normally have quite an argument), if you have a creaking noise there it means that there's play between either the steerer and bearing or bearing and frame. This leads me to ask another question: Does the bike have the correct bearing?

According to what I can see off the Syncros website: https://www.syncros.com/za/en/product/syncros-is42-28-6---is52-40-headset?article=2505800001222

The bearing size needs to be: 51.9 x 40 with an angle of 45deg. This is normally stamped onto the bearing itself.

I am based in Garsfontein if you need any assistance please feel free to look me up.