SRAM SX Eagle derailleur shifting & jockey wheels

Stuart M

Hi guys,

i need some advice.

i have a sram sx eagle.

the shifting is pretty poor, has a tenancy to mash or jump gears it sounds very clicky and noisy.

want to eventually upgrade to a GX derailleur, however in the meantime could i use the GX jockey wheels on my SX since they have a lot of play and seem to be the cause of a lot of noise?

Suggest you take it to your local bike shop for an assessment. It could be a simple turn of the barrel adjuster or something more problematic like a loose derailleur jockey pulley cage to a even a bent derailleur hanger.

How proficient are you at bicycle repairs?

Has the RD been fine tuned using the RED plastic gauge that it is supplied with ?

This is critical to ensure smooth shifting  - SX - NX - GX all shift same if its setup correctly

Suggest you take it to your local bike shop for an assessment. It could be a simple turn of the barrel adjuster or something more problematic like a loose derailleur jockey pulley cage to a even a bent derailleur hanger.

How proficient are you at bicycle repairs?

i adjusted everything myself, cage is good hanger is straight but it was still doing the same so i thought i was doing something wrong so took it to the shop and they adjusted everything again but it still does the same.

they say because its the lowest tier and made cheaply thats just how it is and their fix is rebuilding hub and shimming the cassette and using aftermarket jockeys.

i mean the bikes only a couple months old

i adjusted everything myself, cage is good hanger is straight but it was still doing the same so i thought i was doing something wrong so took it to the shop and they adjusted everything again but it still does the same.

they say because its the lowest tier and made cheaply thats just how it is and their fix is rebuilding hub and shimming the cassette and using aftermarket jockeys.

Go to a real shop. Sounds like your local has no idea what they are doing.

thats crap service. Get a second opinion. Try Xciter at Waterfall centre

i've set up so many of them they work just as well as the more expensive options. There has been a couple of problems with a cassette here and there having a slightly bent tooth which is solved under warranty or a pair of pliers but the SX is essentially the same as the NX but priced for OEM's

Edited by DieselnDust