Best road bike for 30k budget

chefzo

Hi Cycling World.

What is the best value bike for R 30 000 budget.

I know brand plays a roll. But in terms of best components/ equipment/wheels etc for 30k

Where would you go ?

Hi Cycling World.

I know brand plays a roll. But in terms of best components/ equipment/wheels etc for 30k

Where would you go ?

I had a similar topic recently...

I have a few questions you need to answer before anyone can really help a lot

1. New or used

2. Aero or lightweight

2. Disc or rim

3. To what degree do you care about resale value

4. Which frame material, and which wheel material

5. Do you want a power meter?

Of course there are many more questions, but these are quite important to start with

EDIT: Missed ROAD in title

Edited by Sid the Sloth

Hi Cycling World.

Where would you go ?

I'd buy in the Classifieds. Maybe aim for something a bit lower in price to start off with and then use the balance to get some new deep section wheels and low-rolling resistance 28C tyres.

Carbon Road bikes do not deteriorate as much as MTBs do over time, so less risk to buy them Used, assuming that they saw no crashes.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/464600/scott-foil-15-carbon-di2-mint

Without knowing your size or any other preference I just set the filters from 10 to 30K 

I'm not even sure if this is a good deal , but there are some very nice bikes going 2nd hand.

That does look like a good deal - will just need to upgrade the wheels at some point (if you want carbon).

As reference, I recently sold a 2018 Cervelo R3 (rim) with Ultegra (not DI2) and carbon wheels for R25k. Thought that was a good deal too. 

That said, having just bought a DI2-equipped bike, I would say aim for that as it is really good!

Find yourself a good 2nd hand carbon bike, with 11 spd ultegra. You might even get lucky and find a bike that has carbon wheels.

Don't buy mechanical disc brakes. Rim or hydrolic discs don't matter, weight, stiffness and above all the general sizing/the way you fit the bike do. It is better if you find a bike that has a little margin on the steerer if you need to rise the stem.

Take a close look at the frame make sure there's no crack

You can get a Merida Scultura 105 or that new aero titan with 105 for 30k from bikeaddict. I wouldn't bother looking at anything else.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I had a similar topic recently...

I have a few questions you need to answer before anyone can really help a lot

1. New or used

2. Aero or lightweight

2. Disc or rim

3. To what degree do you care about resale value

4. Which frame material, and which wheel material

5. Do you want a power meter?

Of course there are many more questions, but these are quite important to start with

EDIT: Missed ROAD in title

Cannondale.

I think you're being optimistic seeing that the blue book value is only around R25k

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3061515/

didn't know that site. Glad to see the value for my bike is higher than what I paid for it almost a year ago.

but 2nd hand value is very different according to the market, I don't really see how what an american site says applies for the SA market. Plus with all the clowns that automatically offer you 10k less than your asking price no matter how you price your item, you kind of have to price a bit higher anyways

Edited by Jbr