Quality of Ultegra brake Calliper (road)

SURFER

I got my road bike in August 2020 with Ultegra group set (R8000).  When cleaning the bike I noticed the corrosion on the front brake caliper.

Two of my cycling friends also have Ultegra group set (R8000) on their bikes.  The bikes were bought in June 2019 and the other bike in April 2020.  The corrosion on the front brake calliper is shocking.

Attached are photos of the 3 bikes (callipers)

Who else have seen this corrosion?

Are this the asme for 105 and dura ace?

According to the agents the warrantee on corrosion is only 6 months

post-4178-0-81743700-1617109408_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-23333600-1617109419_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-59955200-1617109431_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-04482800-1617109444_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, had that too. As well as derailleurs. And then my front shifter packed up twice with corrosion. First time was warrantied. Bike shop just shrugged...

I see you're in CT. Salty air and brake calipers aren't big mates. Could be some drops of hydraulic fluid too, though I though the stuff Shimano used was non-corrosive.

pic of the caliper with the boot in the pic, looks more like detergent damage than corrosion 

No, this guy does not was his bike.  I know.

My other friend does not believe on to much water, use dry cloth to clean (same corrosion).

I use water and prepsol, been doing that for years, no issue (photo with not much corrosion, bike still new).

I believe the quality not good.

Yup, had that too. As well as derailleurs. And then my front shifter packed up twice with corrosion. First time was warrantied. Bike shop just shrugged...

I see you're in CT. Salty air and brake calipers aren't big mates. Could be some drops of hydraulic fluid too, though I though the stuff Shimano used was non-corrosive.

It is the quality combined with CT weather. No hydraulic fluid.  Will let it corrode and then look maybe at SRAM to replace.  My bike only 7 months old, gets cleaned every weekend

Shocking stuff! The question then begs, what preventative measures can one adopt to prevent this from happening? E.g.is there is a wrapping type solution available??

That's corrosion and is apparent on all the Shimano disc brake calipers that use a chemical coating other than paint. The 6 month warranty against corrosion is pretty poor since most of the worlds population lives at sea level...

Shocking stuff! The question then begs, what preventative measures can one adopt to prevent this from happening? E.g.is there is a wrapping type solution available??

Not sure.  I clean my bike regular.  Also wipe with product like WD40 on callipers and detailers after every wash to prevent/delay corrosion since I stay in CT.  

My son got Dura Ace from 2009, still look like brand new, no corrosion

Seen this on a number of Ultegra disc bikes. Some bikes where only the rear is doing it and not the front.

Have you been using your bike on the trainer indoors?

Could be sweat dripping on there.

have to agree, that last pic its not just the caliper that shows corrosion but the nipple/nut too, that makes me think something corrosive has come into contact there, very possibly sweat.

Sweat is unbelievably corrosive.

Couple of sessions on IDT and a couple of my bolts and cables were showing signs of corrosion.

And those front disc calipers are perfectly positioned to catch a bucket load.!

Not something new. 6600 series also had problems with corrosion. You could see the little corrosion lines under the clear coat.

I think it is shocking that a brand like Shimano only offers a 6 month warranty on this and this is what happens after six months.

technically this is oxidization under paint from hi humid areas ( aluminum does not rust )  :whistling:

Agree, but just as bad as rust

No indoor training. Stay in CT, weather great if you ignore the wind