Quality of Ultegra brake Calliper (road)

SURFER

have to agree, that last pic its not just the caliper that shows corrosion but the nipple/nut too, that makes me think something corrosive has come into contact there, very possibly sweat.

Have you ever cycle and sweat that you drip on your brake calliper.  No ways

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not something new. 6600 series also had problems with corrosion. You could see the little corrosion lines under the clear coat.

I think it is shocking that a brand like Shimano only offers a 6 month warranty on this and this is what happens after six months.

agree, 

I am not saying Shimano is%%%.  Ultegra awesome, but it seems that they got issues with quality of "paint".  So, if you buy new bike, be aware of this issue.

I am not saying Shimano is%%%.  Ultegra awesome, but it seems that they got issues with quality of "paint".  So, if you buy new bike, be aware of this issue.

Not good at all :thumbdown:

I have not seen any Deore LX; XT; SLX; XTR or SRAM/AVID calipers do this. There might be the exceptions out there, but as a rule - NEH

Me thinks it is manufacturing quality that's gone down the tubes. Perhaps the MTB calipers are built with more metal to the construction, enabling better heat dissipation over the entire body of the caliper - whereas the Road calipers seem more compact and lighter. What you safe on weight you end up paying for somewhere else.

Long live rim brakes :thumbup:

Eldron applies some protective spray to customer bikes. Maybe something like that can help? I think he did say there is a supplier of the product he uses here in SA. He has even coated his coffee machine.

Have you ever cycle and sweat that you drip on your brake calliper.  No ways

something has dripped on there, take a look at the nipple/nut thing. If it was just the caliper I might have agreed with you, but the fact that the nipple is also corroded tells me its not just a paint quality issue.

Can't help with the cause but that's how the underside of my sister's Polo looked thanks to being parked on Beach Rd Moullie Point all day and night. Even in a garage, bikes/cars are not safe from the corrosive effects of salty, moist air. 

My bike with Ultegra that I got towards the end of last year started bubbling under the paint on the caliper from oxidation in the same place as yours after 6 months. I noticed the same on the DI2 derailleur in one spot after only 3 months. Very poor metal prepping and coating.I replaced both after an accident so I have another 5 months to go before the new ones show the same.....

something has dripped on there, take a look at the nipple/nut thing. If it was just the caliper I might have agreed with you, but the fact that the nipple is also corroded tells me its not just a paint quality issue.

The fittings are carbon steel into an aluminium caliper body. I've seen this rust happen on my daughtes bike that has Deore mtb components. She doesn't ride it often but the corrosion set in within a year of purchase. The distributors didn't want to hear anything.

My Dura Ace rear derailleur jockey cage pivot shaft rusted within a year too, to the point where the cage would jam while changing gears. Distributor said its a maintenance issue. I've never had to service my SRAM FORCE or Campagnolo Record derailleurs and the latter is 20 years old.

Conclusion, Shimano is a grudge purchase

I get the bit about corrosion under the paint, but what about the bolt that connects the hose? those look a little ropey as well, so perhaps something's getting on the whole things and causing it? at least, that's what I found on mine. And it was on the rear as well - no sweat dripping there. I'm guessing salty sea air.

I get the bit about corrosion under the paint, but what about the bolt that connects the hose? those look a little ropey as well, so perhaps something's getting on the whole things and causing it? at least, that's what I found on mine. And it was on the rear as well - no sweat dripping there. I'm guessing salty sea air.

Depends on the size of the derrière I suppose... 

Have a set of XT M8100 Calipers that are over 9 months old, no issues yet.

Picture with heavy corrosion suggests a corrosive agent has found it's way onto the caliper...
Both Locknuts(Banjo in MTB terms), seem to have corroded (assuming they are steel, based on the colour of the corrosion), both suggest something is getting onto these calipers. Almost looks like a leak of brake oil from above the locknut...

Shimano Brake oil is non-corrosive. 
(Learnt from experience, spilt all over my XT levers and no issues months later).

A stretch, but what do the discs look like, is there any contamination(Brown/blue/green colouring) on them as well?

Picture with heavy corrosion suggests a corrosive agent has found it's way onto the caliper...

Both Locknuts(Banjo in MTB terms), seem to have corroded (assuming they are steel, based on the colour of the corrosion), both suggest something is getting onto these calipers. Almost looks like a leak of brake oil from above the locknut...

(Learnt from experience, spilt all over my XT levers and no issues months later).

A stretch, but what do the discs look like, is there any contamination(Brown/blue/green colouring) on them as well?

To repeat, nothing is getting on the caliper or Locknuts.  No sweat or corrosive agent (brake oil or cleaning agent)

Just poor quality material (locknut) and paint on caliper.  Combine this with Cape Town sea air, deadly.

As I mentioned in previous post, got Dura Ace from 2009.  No indication of any corrosion on any part (bolts, derailleurs or calibers). Much better  quality, but you pay for it

If you want, I can post photo of disc (like new).  I will know if there is any brake oil leaking.

I had a  similar issue with aluminum windows. see photo.   it happened 8 years after installation.  All window frames were replaced for free.  Poor quality.  it is the same with the caliper.

The message is that if you buy be careful of Ultegra (at the moment).  Not sure of the new 105 or Dura Ace. 

post-4178-0-46698100-1617277087_thumb.jpg

post-4178-0-49680100-1617277105_thumb.jpg