Starting to look for a replacement of my Apple Watch 6

Cois

So I am still waiting for Apple to fix my Apple Watch series 6.  But I lost all my trust in a device that did not last 3 months before it broke.

I tried doing a bit of reading on the Garmins, and Suunto range of watches, but they do not have very friendly websites.

What I am looking for is something that can work with my iPhone, has O2 stats and HR monitoring.  I am using my Apple Watch series 3, but it takes forever to charge and lasts about 36 hours per charge.  

What will the best watch be for about the same price as an Apple Watch series 6?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ - this needs to be your first stop IMO. He has done reviews on just about every watch on the market. Strap yourself in though, his stuff is comprehensive. 

I am a Polar user / fan solely because I like the square screens (M400 / V800) but I believe both Suunto and Garmin will be solid options for what you need. 

So I am still waiting for Apple to fix my Apple Watch series 6.  But I lost all my trust in a device that did not last 3 months before it broke.

I tried doing a bit of reading on the Garmins, and Suunto range of watches, but they do not have very friendly websites.

What I am looking for is something that can work with my iPhone, has O2 stats and HR monitoring.  I am using my Apple Watch series 3, but it takes forever to charge and lasts about 36 hours per charge.  

What will the best watch be for about the same price as an Apple Watch series 6?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ - this needs to be your first stop IMO. He has done reviews on just about every watch on the market. Strap yourself in though, his stuff is comprehensive. 

I am a Polar user / fan solely because I like the square screens (M400 / V800) but I believe both Suunto and Garmin will be solid options for what you need. 

Ooh... I see this is the website I have been looking for....  Even a few trainer options to compare

Thanks Robert

I am not sure of the pricing for the apple watches but the garmins have a wiiiiide range ito pricing so you should find something in your price range that offers what you need. The Garmins all work well with iOS. I am a garmin fanboy but the others are also good quality brands. I have the basic forerunner30 and am happy. My wife has a vivosmart 4 which is a bit fancier than mine but the slender design is more suited to woman imho. My boet has one of the high end forerunners and he is happy. My toppie has just got the new venue sq and so far also happy. All of them get used permanently and get about 4 days on a charge without using the GPS(this brings the battery life down A LOT). Mine doesn't give the O2 stats but the others all do. 

One negative for me, the straps don't last. So just buy a few spares form aliexpress as soon as the watch is bought and by the time they arrive you will be ready to replace them.

Also a Garmin fan, started with a Forerunner 15 many moons ago, just got the 245 music a couple of months back and it is a game changer. Has the O2 and Heart rate monitoring you are looking for. Wife got the same one almost a year ago, no complaints with it being her daily wearable. My brother has had about 4 of the Garmins as well, currently on a Fenix 5 Plus, which he loves.

Definitely recommend anything in the range, dependent obviously on what features you are looking for there is definitely something there for everyone

Cois, what happened with your 6. I'm on a 5 now and was hoping to upgrade to the 6 but now I'm not so sure. 

I would prefer to stay in the Apple ecosystem as far as possible but a couple of glitches with Strava on the watch made me start shopping for a better "sport" solution. The Apple watch always struck me more as an everyday wearable rather than a sport watch.

Cois, what happened with your 6. I'm on a 5 now and was hoping to upgrade to the 6 but now I'm not so sure. 

I would prefer to stay in the Apple ecosystem as far as possible but a couple of glitches with Strava on the watch made me start shopping for a better "sport" solution. The Apple watch always struck me more as an everyday wearable rather than a sport watch.

I woke up one morning and the unit asked my passcode.  That was sort of weird for me.  Tried to input the code, but it did not take the key presses.

I took it off, put it on the charger and went to shower.  Got back and it displayed the Apple Logo.  Dresses myself and put on the watch and it was dead.

Tried to reset it, but it was 100% not working.  Took it to Apple and they said that a module inside was stuffed and needed to be replaced.  Time for delivery of the part is 5 - 7 working days.  That was 7 working days ago, and still waiting.

The watch 6 was great, but I lost all trust in it.  If a module breaks within 3 months, it spells disaster for me in the long run.  I only got the 6 due to the O2 monitoring.  Nothing else.

I woke up one morning and the unit asked my passcode. That was sort of weird for me. Tried to input the code, but it did not take the key presses.

I took it off, put it on the charger and went to shower. Got back and it displayed the Apple Logo. Dresses myself and put on the watch and it was dead.

Tried to reset it, but it was 100% not working. Took it to Apple and they said that a module inside was stuffed and needed to be replaced. Time for delivery of the part is 5 - 7 working days. That was 7 working days ago, and still waiting.

The watch 6 was great, but I lost all trust in it. If a module breaks within 3 months, it spells disaster for me in the long run. I only got the 6 due to the O2 monitoring. Nothing else.

With all due respect that is being a little dramatic, they make probably 10's of millions of these watches, they will surely have some early failures.

Unless you have looked around on Google and the series 6 has widespread issues?

The watch 6 was great, but I lost all trust in it.  If a module breaks within 3 months, it spells disaster for me in the long run.  I only got the 6 due to the O2 monitoring.  Nothing else.

Sorry to hear. I hope it was just a random incident. 

My 5 survived a hard crash during a ride that was enough to really scratch the screen. 

With all due respect that is being a little dramatic, they make probably 10's of millions of these watches, they will surely have some early failures.

Unless you have looked around on Google and the series 6 has widespread issues?

It might be, but I give a rats ass.  For the money that you pay for the device, I expect top notch performance and reliability,  That is why I still use a Mid 2013 Macbook Air.

If they did screw up, I do not care.  It is not my problem.

It might be, but I give a rats ass.  For the money that you pay for the device, I expect top notch performance and reliability,  That is why I still use a Mid 2013 Macbook Air.

If they did screw up, I do not care.  It is not my problem.

The big issue you are having is more to do with Core than Apple. Core has royally stuffed up Apple support (and pricing) in this country, along with peoples faith in Apple.

As with any mechanical or electrical device, things break, how the problem is resolved is what is key.

Happy with garmin 6x pro.. Battery lasts for about 5 days with GPS usage for about 2 hours a day. Best thing I enjoy about it though is paying for stuff with tap and go and the golf feature gives very accurate distances

I am using a 945 and I'm very happy with it now that I'm on Android. On IOS the Bluetooth connection to the phone was as reliable as Eskom.

But I'm also on my 2nd unit. The sensor module on the first one died and Garmin replaced it. These things happen and switching to another brand won't be a 100% guarantee.

Nothing wrong with the Series 6. Cois seems to have had a fault with his, but this is not anything normal. Series 6 watches are not having any more issues than any other model. Edited by BigDL

Replacement part was received yesterday.  Another 2-3 working days to fit...

If I gave this level of service to my clients, I would be without a job.  But Core does whatever Core wants.  The Russian is above the rule of law.

I would go with a Garmin - much better watch than the Apple, with good battery life and features.

I still have my Fenix 3 HR going on 4 years now and never had a problem - still works as well as the day I bought it and it is used all the time, as a smartwatch, and for training (running, cycling etc.)