Starting to look for a replacement of my Apple Watch 6

Cois

For one Garmin doesn't do touch screens. So for smart watch functios inputting anything is a pain with 5 buttons

My toppies venu and my wifes vivosmart4 are both touch screen.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s not so much about “function” as both will tick most boxes. It’s more to “how” they handle the functions and the experience.

Garmin at it roots is a sports watch that they have bolted on smart functions. Apple Watch is a smart watch that they have bolted on sports activities. And it’s this foundation that makes the user experience different depending on weather you recording an activity or using it’s smart functions.

iOS integration with Apple is just seamless and I find my day to day use far superior that Garmin. Reading messages, responding, setting alarms, listening to music, just slick and seamless. But then I can’t stand the way it tries to record activities.

Reliability I cannot fault Garmin. I still have a Fenix 3 that my son uses daily and the battery still lasts over a week and connects to bike power/cadence etc. without issue. Same for my Fenix 6.

How do you mean the way it tries to record activities? 

I was dead keen to get a Garmin to replace my Apple Watch S3, but ended up getting a S4 instead because of an offer. The difference was night and day iro sports functionality, battery life whilst using GPS etc etc. Have now (after 2 years) just upgraded to the S6 and am constantly surprised by the ongoing enhancements in functionality and Health updates. The S4 struggled to measure open water swimming accurately, whilst the S6 is beast. I also love the metrics linked to sleep, HRV etc, to the point where the S6 gives me better information than the whoop strap service I subscribed to for 18 months. 

I ended up going for the Venu from Garmin.  I miss the functionality and simplicity of the Apple watch.  The Venu missed quite a few things, but it is almost 1/2 the price of the Apple Watch 6.

One big issue is the missing protection for it.  Missing flights of stairs, and the one I miss the most is the integration with the health kit.  Some things gets updated, puls steps , but like SpO2 stats does not connect to the Garmin (or I don't not know how to connect it). Oh and having to sync the watch to get some of the data from the watch all the time is kind of a pain.

I will see by this weekend if the Venu will replace the Watch 6, but this far I a still on the fence with it.  One thing I must say is that the battery does last longer then the series 6 and it can read my whatsapp messages without a problem.

How do you mean the way it tries to record activities?

Activities recorded by native app are locked into Apple ecosystem with no API’s into 3rd party like TrainingPeaks, Strava etc. Only option is to record the activity with 3rd party app. Also, native app very limited in data you can see while exercising etc.

Activities recorded by native app are locked into Apple ecosystem with no API’s into 3rd party like TrainingPeaks, Strava etc. Only option is to record the activity with 3rd party app. Also, native app very limited in data you can see while exercising etc.

Healthfit does exactly that. Permission is granted to the app to read the workout data and then sync to Strava for example.

The ecosystem is not locked.

I ended up going for the Venu from Garmin.  I miss the functionality and simplicity of the Apple watch.  The Venu missed quite a few things, but it is almost 1/2 the price of the Apple Watch 6.

One big issue is the missing protection for it.  Missing flights of stairs, and the one I miss the most is the integration with the health kit.  Some things gets updated, puls steps , but like SpO2 stats does not connect to the Garmin (or I don't not know how to connect it). Oh and having to sync the watch to get some of the data from the watch all the time is kind of a pain.

I will see by this weekend if the Venu will replace the Watch 6, but this far I a still on the fence with it.  One thing I must say is that the battery does last longer then the series 6 and it can read my whatsapp messages without a problem.

I was Apple Watch, then went Garmin (all the fan boys here hyping the ***!) and am so happy with my Apple Watch 6 again.   For the 95% of my life NOT exercising it's 10000% better in every respect, and to be honest, Strava on it is no different to my Garmin watch recording except the Apple has added functionality.  I find the GPS more accurate too.

It's just a much better product for 99.9% of your daily life and sporting, I cannot imagine going back to a 1980's Casio interface Garmin with it's erratic syncing, no goals, and the like.  

I ended up sending the Garmin back.  The mail problem for me in the end was the protection of it.  I have not broken any device yet, but as I am a fall risk, I don't want to chance it.  I will look at a better model that you can at least protect.  For now my Apple Watch 3 will have to do its thing till I get a replacement for it.  I have a SpO2 meter that I can use for now to monitor my saturation if I start feeling bit weird.

Not at all, apple native activities now go direct into strava and from there into garmin etc.. Use my watch when commuting or shopping rather than my edge. Works seamlessly

af0202da2dd942786d205c93e62345ae.jpg

Edited by BigDL

Not at all, apple native activities now go direct into strava and from there into garmin etc.. Use my watch when commuting or shopping rather than my edge. Works seamlessly

af0202da2dd942786d205c93e62345ae.jpg

Fair. I might have been a little lazy on my response with a single example. So a few more to consider.

Any route follow capabilities?

3rd party sensor support? (eg. power)

Fully customizable activity screens?

Battery life (always on screen)

FIT file support

I’m not here to say one is better than the other. And I’m sure users will figure out how to optimize each to do what they want.

I’ve already said I have and use both Garmin and Apple and by no means am a power user

I ended up sending the Garmin back. The mail problem for me in the end was the protection of it. I have not broken any device yet, but as I am a fall risk, I don't want to chance it. I will look at a better model that you can at least protect. For now my Apple Watch 3 will have to do its thing till I get a replacement for it. I have a SpO2 meter that I can use for now to monitor my saturation if I start feeling bit weird.

Anything with a touchscreen is going to carry greater damage risk.

Anything with a touchscreen is going to carry greater damage risk.

The problem is the curved screen. If it was a flat screen it would not have been a problem, but anything with a curved screen is an issue.

Same with the Apple watch, the curved screen made a screen protector an issue, so I got a watch protector that encased the complete watch.

Sadly I could not find a body / screen protector for the Garmin at all

Fair. I might have been a little lazy on my response with a single example. So a few more to consider.

Any route follow capabilities?

3rd party sensor support? (eg. power)

Fully customizable activity screens?

Battery life (always on screen)

FIT file support

I’m not here to say one is better than the other. And I’m sure users will figure out how to optimize each to do what they want.

I’ve already said I have and use both Garmin and Apple and by no means am a power user

100% - not a dedicated serious sports watch, as you said previously, but great for more casual training.

100% - not a dedicated serious sports watch, as you said previously, but great for more casual training.

Apple have the rings of judgement which are a great motivation to move!

My friends who have Apple watches really find value in trying to close those rings.