Indoor Trainers...best trainer for noise, stability and resistance

Alexis

I know, I know. I'm late to the party. My excuse was pregnant/baby. 

I'm looking for a unicorn - a trainer which wont make noise (at least not enough noise to wake up a toddler). That is stable (mom can't be in a cast).  And offers resistance (I don't see myself on a road/mountain any time soon). 

AND - the kicker - not going to break the bank. If you can pick up a second hand one without the risk of a dodgy purchase - all the better.

Thanks sportsfans!

I'm sure that there will be many opinions on this, of which mine is one, but it's probably got to be a direct drive trainer (wheel-on makes a heck of a noise), which only really gives you three options at the lower end:

Wahoo Kickr Core

Tacx Flux S

Elite Suito

Perhaps maybe one of the later model 'proper' Kickrs as well, but I'm not sure exactly when they went silent, someone else might advise.

I've got an original Tacx Flux and it's fine for me. However I don't have a baby in the house so can't comment on that aspect.

Edit:

Neither the Flux S or Elite Suito is silent in the same way the CORE is.  But ultimately, all those trainers make some amount of noise once you put a bike on it. After all, there’s still a drivetrain of metal on metal.  No doubt the CORE is very quiet, but once you turn on a fan – all of these trainers are quiet in comparison.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

Edited by bertusras

True, the wheel on trainers do make a noise if you run your nobblies on it. Then it is unbearable but if you run slicks you get a mere 69db (a vacuum cleaner is over 100). The Tacx flow or even the Satori smart won't be too expensive.

I'm sure that there will be many opinions on this, of which mine is one, but it's probably got to be a direct drive trainer (wheel-on makes a heck of a noise), which only really gives you three options at the lower end:

Wahoo Kickr Core

Tacx Flux S

Elite Suito

Perhaps maybe one of the later model 'proper' Kickrs as well, but I'm not sure exactly when they went silent, someone else might advise.

I've got an original Tacx Flux and it's fine for me. However I don't have a baby in the house so can't comment on that aspect.

Edit:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

Teljoy has rent to buy Suito trainers. You end up paying a lot more though than just buying outright

True, the wheel on trainers do make a noise if you run your nobblies on it. Then it is unbearable but if you run slicks you get a mere 69db (a vacuum cleaner is over 100). The Tacx flow or even the Satori smart won't be too expensive.

We also have a Satori Smart (with trainer tyre) at home and the noise difference between it and the Flux is very noticeable.

Later model Kickr .I traded my version one for a version four .Cadence now standard feature and a lot quieter .Bite the bullet and try and get one .They keep their value for later resale 

We went for the Kickr CORE, for all the reasons already mentioned above.

The fan to cool you down while cycling makes more noise than the trainer ....

How accurate does it need to be?

I have the Snap2 with slicks and one room away from the 2 kids. Doesn't wake them up.

Cons - if you want it to be very accurate, it requires you to calibrate it with every ride.

Otherwise ticks all the boxes

You could look for a used Cycleops Powerbeam with bluetooth. You should pick up for about 3 or 4 k. I have one. I also have a R22k+ Tacx Neo2. The old Powerbeam is only slightly louder (if at all - either way neither is at all audible in the room next door) and pretty much does everything the Tacx does from basic functional utility perspective, albeit you need a seperate cadence sensor and you need to calibrate the Powerbeam. It's also"wheel on". Different mounting kits are used for QR vs Thru Axle, so check which it comes with depending on your bike. They come up for sale fairly frequently here on the Hub. The Tacx is "very nice" but the Powerbeam really is a perfectly serviceable piece of kit. I wanted both Ant+ and Bluetooth in the same trainer, which was I got the Tacx. The Powerbeams come in only one or the other. If you can live with that you'll have a good sturdy quiet trainer that is durable and does everything you need at a very good price. My wife has now inherited my Powerbeam and is perfectly happy with it. I bought my Powerbeam used from my trainer, who is a former Pro cyclist; so it's seen some use but never a moment's trouble. Hope this helps....

PS: The Powerbeam is a smart trainer and will give you all the resistance you practically need unless you're built like The Hulk. You can Zwift with it etc

PPS: Don't make the mistake of buying one of the newer Cycleops Magnus trainers with the fan visibly built into the flywheel. I did when I wanted both Bluetooth and Ant+ and my oath it but the was loud! I couldn't believe the amount of noise it made - I thought I had a small jet turbine in the room with me. I returned it forthwith to Takealot.

Simply put, if the trainer you use is louder than the floor fan you use, it's really not a great product!

Edited by MudLark

Either DCRainmaker or GPLama have done some sound back to back tests on indoor trainers. Have a search on YouTube.

+1 for Cycleops Power Beam

Had mine since 2014, never had a moments trouble with it...my only regret is that it is only ANT + and not BLE

+1 for Cycleops Power Beam

Had mine since 2014, never had a moments trouble with it...my only regret is that it is only ANT + and not BLE

They're incredible bang for you buck on the used market.