Maxxis tyre choice, please help

Jared Falck

I am looking for a set of maxxis tyres to replace my current specialized ground control and fast trak, I really liked the specialized tyres so I am looking for something in the same grip and rolling resistance, I am going to maxxis as I prefer them and they should be more durable( fast track wore out very fast). The maxxis alternative must be durable though even with the fail compound. Should I just put a maxxis ardent race on the back and ground control on the front because the ground control is my favourite tyre I’ve ever ridden. I ride 3 times a week at the spruit, northern farms and places like those, looking for something that should last at least a year.

Thanks so much.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think this will grip just as well as the tyres I currently have and still be very durable?

Edited by Jared Falck

Do you think this will grip just as well as the tyres I currently have and still be very durable?

I run the Maxxis ardent race upfront and ikon in the rear. In winter I change my tyres to Maxxis forekaster up front and ardent race / rekon in the rear.

Enjoying this setup, for me its a good balance of grip and rolling resistance.

That being said. Some of the guys in my cycling group prefer to run the ikon up front and ardent race in the rear.

In my opinion. Can’t go wrong with the ardent race / ikon setup

Ardent Race 2.35 Front and Back.

For Gauteng MTB Tracks Specially.

Ikon Wears Too Fast.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Thanks everyone, I’m thinking of going for an ardent race on the rear and ardent up front or rekon race on the rear and rekon up front, how does that sound?

Also if I’m crazy please let me know because I might look into using and ardent race at the rear with a specialized ground control at the front.

Thanks

Edited by Jared Falck

I like the way a bike "Feels" When Both Tyres are the Same.

The Bike Also looks Good.(Balanced)

Added Advantage is that When the Back Wears you can move the Front to the Back and Buy New for the Front.

Ardent is a Very Good Choice for the Front and Lasts Forever if Undamaged.

The Ardent is also a very Tough Tyre that can Stand a lot of Abuse.

Maxxis Tyres are the Best for Tubeless and will stay Inflated even Without Sealant if there is no leaks in the Rim/Valve.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Thanks everyone, I’m thinking of going for an ardent race on the rear and ardent up front or rekon race on the rear and rekon up front, how does that sound?

Also if I’m crazy please let me know because I might look into using and ardent race at the rear with a specialized ground control at the front.

Thanks

the Rekon has better shoulder knobs than the Ardent. I would rather run Ardent race front and rear than a Ardent up front again.

Rekon race 2.35 front and back worked well for me. Lasted more than a year riding jonkershoek and surrounding trails in stellenbosch. Rolls super fast and pretty stable on downhills too

Decided I’ll either go for an ardent up front and ardent race at rear, please let me know if you think I should use a recon at the front instead. Also anyone have any thought of an ardent/rekon race at the rear with a specialized ground control in the front.

Edited by Jared Falck

Used to ride:

Front: Ground Control

Rear: Fastrack

Now ride:

Rear: Maxxis Icon

Front: Ardent Race

Similar sizes - front 2.2; rear 2.0

I’d say it’s pretty much the same. I do think the spez tyres are a little ‘softer’ and maybe a little more grip, but I’d say the maxxis ardent race better rolling resistance than the control.

My son rides the same maxxis combo and he is done just over 3,000km on his combo; but he weighs 56kg.

I used to get almost 2,800 on the spez; I think I’ll get close to same on the maxxis.

Used to ride:

Front: Ground Control

Rear: Fastrack

Now ride:

Rear: Maxxis Icon

Front: Ardent Race

Similar sizes - front 2.2; rear 2.0

I’d say it’s pretty much the same. I do think the spez tyres are a little ‘softer’ and maybe a little more grip, but I’d say the maxxis ardent race better rolling resistance than the control.

Thanks, I currently am running the specialized combo and think it’s awesome, it just isn’t durable enough for me( fast track on the back wore down really fast but still has some life). I don’t really like the ikon so I have been thinking of:

Ardent- front

Ardent race- rear

After what you said I think I’ll look into some others too, thanks.

My son rides the same maxxis combo and he is done just over 3,000km on his combo; but he weighs 56kg.

I used to get almost 2,800 on the spez; I think I’ll get close to same on the maxxis.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure what kind of mileage I could expect so this helped a lot.

I have used both of the combos you mention. My 2c, the Ikon is better than the Fast Trak on the back, but the Ground Control is better than the Ardent Race on the front. Just make sure you get the Grid casing on the Spez tires.

Does anyone know what would be the maxxis equivalent of:

fast trak 29x2.0 rear

Ground control 29x2.2 front

I need to measure my rims to see how big of a tire I can use.

Thanks

Edited by Jared Falck