Lourensford trails now open to the public

Christie

This is a good development, possibly.

I got a pamphlet at the gate when I went to buy beans.

I have not ridden there, but it sjould be nice. It is such a large, beautiful piece of land, riding should be spectacular. There will also be some nice singletrack they use for w2w.

Price is steep, at R2500 per year (it looks like they are pitching it at a specific market.)

The maximum of 6 rides a year is a bit of a bummer imo, but tourists can ride there now, and I suppose it is a "try before you buy" approach for us locals. (???? I wonder if this is 6 per year, or total forever)

It looks like the trails are adminestered by the shooting club, which also perhaps explains the ride time restrictions. (There is also a horse riding club, it is possibke that different clubs get allocated seperate time slots)

post-154-0-77120400-1617519353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christie

Year pass at Jonkers (4 people) = R700

Year pass at Wannabees + Helderberg = R1100

Year pass at Helderberg = R700

Other trail centers like Tygerberg, Oak Valley, etc also in that price range.

No restrictions on time, and quality of trails are much better (maybe with the exception of Wannabees).

What a joke with those prices. Why would anyone pay that? Are they offering anything that actually justifies those costs.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Went there when they reopened not so long ago. Bought our day passes and then we were told we have to be back by 09:30.

Clay Hub could also not really give us any specific detail on the trails. Just kept pointing to a map on the table.

Trails aren’t bad, there just seems to be some weird rules

Those have always been the ridding restricted times, and one could always join. Used to be managed by one of the bike shops up until last year where it was R700/year but no day passes of any kind.

Personally I felt even the R700 was a bit much given the restrictions, the inability to ride alone and lack of trail markings. It’s a nice trail but it’s not actually anything special. I’d slap it square in the middle of wannabes and oak valley.

Year pass at Jonkers (4 people) = R700

Year pass at Wannabees + Helderberg = R1100

Year pass at Helderberg = R700

Other trail centers like Tygerberg, Oak Valley, etc also in that price range.

No restrictions on time, and quality of trails are much better (maybe with the exception of Wannabees).

What a joke with those prices. Why would anyone pay that? Are they offering anything that actually justifies those costs.

They targeting the guys that can afford the 200k spez bikes and want a noddy badge trail ride to go with it.