Campagnolo compatible with Shimano?

Hannes Basson

Hi all

I recently bought wheels that has a 11 speed Shimano Ultegra cassette on.

I have 11 speed Superrecord on my bike.

Will the Shimano cassette work or should I buy a campagnolo freewheel body and campagnolo cassette?

Yep, I’m running 11 speed campy shifting mechanisms with 11 speed Shimano/sram cassette and chainrings. The problems only arise when you start trying to mix shifters and derailleurs. there’s an article on cycling tips you can check out to see the groupset compatibility.

Be aware that campagnolo cassettes do not have equal spacing between the sprockets. tthere iis a small variance from the bottom 4 to the middle to the three low range sprockets. The Shimano guide pulley accommodates this due to the lateral float but aftermarket derailleur pulley cages may not be as forgiving

Hi Hannes, if you bought Campagnolo wheels, I have a Campi freebody from a pair of Zonda's...I am willing to swop for the Shimano freebody if compatible. :)

Years ago I had a similar issue on a 10-speed campagnolo shifter/derailleur to shimano cassette ... and I used JTEK Shiftmates to correct the pull.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-compatibility-charts-choices/

They don't seem to have a gadget for 11-Campagnolo to 11-Shimano, thus I don't think there is a compatibility issue on the 11-speed? .... 

You only need the shift mate if you are using a campy shifter with Shimano rear derailleur or the other way around.

When using a full campy shifter and derailleur set with Shimano sprockets or vice versa it's not such a big problem as the spacing isn't far away from each other as it was with 8,9 or 10speed. The more sprockets the engineers cram into the same space the less opportunity there is for variation in spacing.

Look at the Shimano neutral vehicles in the world tour, that has to carry 11s wheels for Shimano users and 12 speed wheels for SRAM and Campagnolo users. Spacing for the 12 speed systems can't be too different to cater for both brands. When you start to mix shifters and dérailleurs it gets complicated

I'm running record cassette (on Eurus wheel) with Ultegra shifters/derraileur.

Edited by TNT1

It would work with 10speed as well. Just a little more sensitive to the set up. Eleven is less troublesome but you can’t just swap to a shimano wheel without adjusting the limits. If using it permanently and you take the time to tune out the gaps so it works relatively smooth it’s fine

I have never had an issue running Shimano casettes with campag groupset. I have wheels with both and swap around regularly.