Converting Cannondale F4 Trail MTB to gravel bike - advice on rigid fork

Hi everyone, hope someone can help with rigid fork advice. I want to convert my old Cannondale F4 Trail MTB (2010) 26er to a gravel bike. I was thinking of replacing the RST fork with a rigid fork.

“The head tube is the oversized OnePointFive standard. Cannondale uses a double-pass, smooth-weld technology that does not look as impressive as single-pass welding, but is claimed to reduce stress risers (areas that generate excessive stress at certain spots on the frame) that can be caused by machine welding.

Up front, you get an impressive RST fork with a 1.5-inch aluminum steerer tube and external rebound, compression (including a lockout with blow-off) and air-spring adjustment.”

Does anyone have any ideas on rigid forks for this build project?

Thanks!

JH

Edited by JH Vagrant

Coming along - think I will have to stick with the fork for now. Like the drop bars. My guy is looking for some shifters ????

post-151724-0-97249100-1617775110_thumb.jpeg

Edited by JH Vagrant

I would suggest using a 26" fork and  not a 29er... so 440mm crown to axle as opposed to 470.

OR, if you really wanted to pull the bike geo into 'gravel' numbers, find a 405mm or 410mm axle to crown gravel fork.

I would suggest using a 26" fork and not a 29er... so 440mm crown to axle as opposed to 470.

OR, if you really wanted to pull the bike geo into 'gravel' numbers, find a 405mm or 410mm axle to crown gravel fork.

Having taken your advice on this before I can only say do this, it makes a massive difference!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Jewbacca - the challenge seems to be the 1.5inch steerer fube. Can one find that size, or willI have to go with 1,1/8 and then use shims or something?

Thanks for the advice Jewbacca - the challenge seems to be the 1.5inch steerer fube. Can one find that size, or willI have to go with 1,1/8 and then use shims or something?

How much money do you want to spend?

I have a Cannondale Hooligan mini velo frame and rigid lefty fork sitting around doing nothing... The rigid lefty fork has a 1 1/5th steerer and stem/spacers.

I's sell the frame, wheels, fork and stem for cheap

How much money do you want to spend?

I have a Cannondale Hooligan mini velo frame and rigid lefty fork sitting around doing nothing... The rigid lefty fork has a 1 1/5th steerer and stem/spacers.

I's sell the frame, wheels, fork and stem for cheap

I am so deeply in love with this bicycle, but I know my girlfriend and/or housemate will potentially kill me if I bring another bicycle into our passageway. 

I am so deeply in love with this bicycle, but I know my girlfriend and/or housemate will potentially kill me if I bring another bicycle into our passageway. 

Sell the other one and swap it with this one.

Your s/o might not even notice the difference

hahahahahahaha

It is a super cool little bike. I am in a similar boat. Thinning the herd and it is the 'least practical' so is 1st on the list of bike things that need to go. (He says while not actually advertising it)

It's so cool she might think it's cute and let you keep it!

I might have a cannondale head tube reducer for you - to fit a normal steerer tube in there.