947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

"Finish Time and Australian partners Race Tec also recently developed a revolutionary and affordable admin and timing system for event organisers which can run off smartphones and mobile devices".

From the Finish Time website. All chummy chummy seems like.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Prince said:

"Finish Time and Australian partners Race Tec also recently developed a revolutionary and affordable admin and timing system for event organisers which can run off smartphones and mobile devices".

From the Finish Time website. All chummy chummy seems like.

Money greases some sticky situations very nicely

Got to ride the MTB route in Steyn City yesterday.

I am so glad i did not enter the MTB race!

i'd be really upset paying close on R500 only to find 40-60% of the route is on concrete golf cart tracks - really not joking about this

seriously for the first 25km you might as well have slicks and a close range cassette.

the last 25km is mostly offroad. even that was not great. 

i'd say there was only 1 section of around 1.5km that was fun. the rest felt like it was just zigzagging on boring paths that are not maintained to make up the distance.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, FondTF2 said:

True. 

Off the web site " Finish Time is the official timing company of the 947 Ride Joburg Road. "

Not sure why the moved from Racetec.

Just another timing chip to add to the bloody collection

Timing chip in the race pack.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, Furbz said:

Got to ride the MTB route in Steyn City yesterday.

I am so glad i did not enter the MTB race!

i'd be really upset paying close on R500 only to find 40-60% of the route is on concrete golf cart tracks - really not joking about this

seriously for the first 25km you might as well have slicks and a close range cassette.

the last 25km is mostly offroad. even that was not great. 

i'd say there was only 1 section of around 1.5km that was fun. the rest felt like it was just zigzagging on boring paths that are not maintained to make up the distance.

Was wondering about this. Thanks for the feedback. Feel better now about not entering.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:39 PM, Pikey said:

My last race I did was 94.7 2018 before leaving SA for while . So got no idea what they will do with my seeding . 

It is what it is, am just happy to ride in the warm sunshine ☀️ and participate ????

#ClosedRoads

On 10/7/2021 at 12:39 PM, Pikey said:

My last race I did was 94.7 2018 before leaving SA for while . So got no idea what they will do with my seeding . 

It is what it is, am just happy to ride in the warm sunshine ☀️ and participate ????

Nice one - my last one was 2015 before we left in 2016. I arrive on the Friday from Ireland and will hopefully have 4 weeks of cycling in the legs after a 3.5 month hiatus. Going to also just take it slow and hope not to overheat.  Super pleased that the finish isn’t in steyn city again. Counting the days of riding between now and then, but have a stag weekend in Dublin this weekend, so losing a couple of days already. 

Also now entered the Tour Durban the following Sunday, which should be a bit easier at lower altitude and with less hills. 

Any idea where the number collection will be? I'm out of town that whole week prior and only get back late on the Friday before the race. Saturday morning is going to be a rush to get everything sorted.

Also, suggestions for parking? I suspect the N1 ( west) offramp to the stadium is going to be a nightmare. Option is to park in Melville/ Aucklandpark and ride in (supposedly just 7/8km)

1 minute ago, WR 1.0 said:

Any idea where the number collection will be? I'm out of town that whole week prior and only get back late on the Friday before the race. Saturday morning is going to be a rush to get everything sorted.

Also, suggestions for parking? I suspect the N1 ( west) offramp to the stadium is going to be a nightmare. Option is to park in Melville/ Aucklandpark and ride in (supposedly just 7/8km)

The number pickup will be at the FNB stadium. The expo will be there instead of the dome Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I think Friday it is still open till 20h00. https://ridejoburg.co.za/expo/

Also want to see how they do the Covid dance around that. 

9 hours ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

The number pickup will be at the FNB stadium. The expo will be there instead of the dome Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I think Friday it is still open till 20h00. https://ridejoburg.co.za/expo/

Also want to see how they do the Covid dance around that. 

Probably a one way system with masks and social distancing

16 minutes ago, BigDL said:

Probably a one way system with masks and social distancing

It's always been a sort of "informal" one way system - you come in one end and go out the other. They just have to make it official ????

11 hours ago, Bonus said:

It's always been a sort of "informal" one way system - you come in one end and go out the other. They just have to make it official ????

I remember being turned around by officials when I tried to enter the expo on the wrong side of the one way.

So just got my seeding mail. I think they must have been very generous, if the normal group names are to be believed.