947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I want to ask the opinion of you hubbers on drafting a group you are not actually riding with?

A group of 4 or 5 riders passed me on the road and I hung onto the back of them for a while, they were going at a pace I felt comfortable following, but I knew there was no way I could lead, I felt bad "using" them so I dropped off them again, but what is the opinion of you hubbers in a situation like that? 

I made sure to never cause any disruption to them when they made lead changes or anything, so would you just keep hanging on the back of them, or was dropping off the back again the right thing to do?

Some people do that at the front of the bunch they are riding with for 99% of the race, and then sprint to try win in the last 500m. Lousy, but... That's racing.

In your case, hang in there as long as you can and enjoy the pull.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jase619 said:

On a side note, we could potentially use the number board holders to mount those pesky CTCT bike boards as they don't fit so well on the handlebars when you have Garmin in place. 

Or does CTCT frown upon that.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

It’s their opposition’s hardware. ????

3 hours ago, ouzo said:

but from what I understand from his post he is just wanting to use the rubber piece that holds the number board, so I dont see an issue.

1 hour ago, Jase619 said:

Apologies, was just referring to the black plastic piece, not the actual number board haha

Sorry, was trying to (facetiously) respond as CTCT would… it’s not allowed as it’s our opposition’s.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Agreed, but the problem here is that she dismounted and physically stepped over the bunting and the team vehicle just carried on as well. Even when she asked, everyone from the lead vehicle, bike marshall and team car said "carry on" 
Sorry but that is an amateur error on every level. So even a creative reward would be problematic. *** one all round. 
Really hope she returns next year to settle the score and animate the women's racing again.

This I think is the essence of the problem. Both the lead car and Emma going over the tape - What were they thinking???

They could have easily recovered by turning back.

54 minutes ago, Li Mu Bai said:

Some people do that at the front of the bunch they are riding with for 99% of the race, and then sprint to try win in the last 500m. Lousy, but... That's racing.

In your case, hang in there as long as you can and enjoy the pull.

I pretty much sat in a bunch until just after kyalami . 3 horrible crashes on the N1 north. Then pretty much solo until just after Nelson Mandela bridge. Once on the motorway home , a guy called John ( red kit) did a massive pull until just before Gold reef... so I took over and we passed a few groups along the way. 

Of course nobody helped until we hit the last bit of Nasrec road then a guy did a small stint but pulled off and I carried on . Then he out sprinted me to the line for 3456 place ????????.... it’s just how it is .

But I did have 2 guys inside FNB come and thank me for the last pull.I looked for John who had done a big turn at Speed but unfortunately couldn’t find him. It’s the little things sometimes . 

@Chadvdw67if you can get in a group and hang on ,but only hang on,take it. 

5 minutes ago, Pikey said:

I pretty much sat in a bunch until just after kyalami . 3 horrible crashes on the N1 north. Then pretty much solo until just after Nelson Mandela bridge. Once on the motorway home , a guy called John ( red kit) did a massive pull until just before Gold reef... so I took over and we passed a few groups along the way. 

Of course nobody helped until we hit the last bit of Nasrec road then a guy did a small stint but pulled off and I carried on . Then he out sprinted me to the line for 3456 place ????????.... it’s just how it is .

But I did have 2 guys inside FNB come and thank me for the last pull.I looked for John who had done a big turn at Speed but unfortunately couldn’t find him. It’s the little things sometimes . 

@Chadvdw67if you can get in a group and hang on ,but only hang on,take it. 

I've hung on to bunches for dear life and have bunches hang onto me so often over the years it doesnt bother me anymore. Although I'm always surprised to see people hanging onto my wheel as I dont see myself as that strong.

On Sunday heading back on the M1 I thought I was alone at one stage, looked back and the bloke behind me apologises saying he doesnt have the power to come to the front to help.

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I've hung on to bunches for dear life and have bunches hang onto me so often over the years it doesnt bother me anymore. Although I'm always surprised to see people hanging onto my wheel as I dont see myself as that strong.

On Sunday heading back on the M1 I thought I was alone at one stage, looked back and the bloke behind me apologises saying he doesnt have the power to come to the front to help.

Ditto on the 1st part. Most guys have calves bigger than my thighs , so when I can pull anybody on a flat section I am gobsmacked.

I don’t mind if someone apologises , there’s always someone quicker than you can only hold on and no more. Besides that, like @NotSoBigBen said  I am only a hacker and always happy to finish upright .

3 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I've never 'familiarised' myself with the exact twists and turns of a route but then again I'm just a hacker

Ya. I've only ever worried about the route for things like SA champs and stage races, and then it was only because I needed to know where's what for team duties, not cause I was worried about going the wrong way. For a funride, I'd also have blindly followed the lead vehicle.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:34 AM, Brett MTBer said:

From what I understand of the rules regarding lead vehicles the ‘lead vehicle’ in terms of item 4 of the rules was not doing its job, it was ill prepared to do its job since it neither knew the course nor did it remove an obstacle. What sanction does the race organiser get from CSA for this? They should be fined according. From everyone’s perspective it seemed like a few guys having a good time in someone’s Porsche without any concept of their responsibility to the race, very poor PR.

At the same time when was the last time any race organiser, either road or MTB got a sanctioning from CSA? many of us suffer poor marking, dangerous course layouts and yet no race organiser as far as I am aware has ever been fined? CSA wants every race to be sanctioned, is this to protect the riders or simply collect valuable income? it appears CSA's approach is to assume that riders will simply not return to poorly organised races and yet in this economic climate the Pro's and semi Pro's don't have that luxury - who is there to protect them?  I agree with the concept that the rider must not follow the lead vehicle but in this case the lead vehicle should have been a km ahead of the rider to ensure the course was clear and correctly marked without obstacle, the organiser in this case shoulders the blame for appointing a lead vehicle and its occupants on what appears to simply be a joy ride. It would be interesting to see if there was a Comm in the car, if there was they should also be disciplined, though I doubt we'd ever hear about it...

This is pretty interesting, and quite valid.  Were you not CSA head of MTB not too long ago? 

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

Ya. I've only ever worried about the route for things like SA champs and stage races, and then it was only because I needed to know where's what for team duties, not cause I was worried about going the wrong way. For a funride, I'd also have blindly followed the lead vehicle.

before the days of GPS tracking  even after the race I would not have been able to tell you which roads we took.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:34 AM, Brett MTBer said:

From what I understand of the rules regarding lead vehicles the ‘lead vehicle’ in terms of item 4 of the rules was not doing its job, it was ill prepared to do its job since it neither knew the course nor did it remove an obstacle. What sanction does the race organiser get from CSA for this? They should be fined according. From everyone’s perspective it seemed like a few guys having a good time in someone’s Porsche without any concept of their responsibility to the race, very poor PR.

At the same time when was the last time any race organiser, either road or MTB got a sanctioning from CSA? many of us suffer poor marking, dangerous course layouts and yet no race organiser as far as I am aware has ever been fined? CSA wants every race to be sanctioned, is this to protect the riders or simply collect valuable income? it appears CSA's approach is to assume that riders will simply not return to poorly organised races and yet in this economic climate the Pro's and semi Pro's don't have that luxury - who is there to protect them?  I agree with the concept that the rider must not follow the lead vehicle but in this case the lead vehicle should have been a km ahead of the rider to ensure the course was clear and correctly marked without obstacle, the organiser in this case shoulders the blame for appointing a lead vehicle and its occupants on what appears to simply be a joy ride. It would be interesting to see if there was a Comm in the car, if there was they should also be disciplined, though I doubt we'd ever hear about it...

Now interestingly, the indemnity clause seems to not cover CSA...

5 hours ago, peetwindhoek said:

Was she the lady that fell in the sprint at the CTCT?

Yebo yes.

On 11/23/2021 at 3:30 PM, I FLY said:

This was about number 18 for me. 1st in 1998 on a MTB with slicks, progressed to race bike , then race tandem with daughters then back to Mtb. Took a four year break when we lived in Witbank. 

I doubt that there are any scenic routes in Jhb to compare with CTCT but I have enjoyed seeing parts of the city I might not otherwise get to see , plus the vibe is always good . 

I have never had any issues with the organizational side of the event ( I make a point of reading and understanding the pre race instructions )and unlike others enjoy going to the Expo to get my number and bump into friends. 

So far only one puncture (in 1998) and no other mishaps .

I would love to do the ctct , I really thought the expo was poorly thought out, they didn't even have basic bicycle components on offer , only supplements ,and clothing, really boring good thing I passed cycle lab on my way to the expo .

On 11/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, Comrade J said:

Here is the live view from the car, I understand the rider is still in ICU

My start time was 8:50 and I’m pretty sure we saw this rider on the floor as we came past in the opposite direction. By the time we got to that point they’d made a sharp right over a mat to clear that. From driving on the M1 a lot this was my biggest worry cause I’ve seen how big these gaps are.

could have also been a different rider

Edited by MDB1997

59 minutes ago, MDB1997 said:

My start time was 8:50 and I’m pretty sure we saw this rider on the floor as we came past in the opposite direction. By the time we got to that point they’d made a sharp right over a mat to clear that. From driving on the M1 a lot this was my biggest worry cause I’ve seen how big these gaps are.

could have also been a different rider

I was in 08:50 as well. It was a different rider we saw. My friends friend got caught there as well, thankfully not in ICU, but had to get quite a few stitches from what I have been told. I think it was my friends friend as they started at 06:30 and they did it in around 2:40-3hrs, so the time matches to us meeting at that point. Though from what I heard a few riders got caught out there unfortunately.

Edited by Kevin Simon

On 11/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, Comrade J said:

Here is the live view from the car, I understand the rider is still in ICU

That is our rider Jayde Julius. He is not in ICU. He has some bruises and some road rash but other than thay he is intact. He finished the race although he was our hopeful for a win.