947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

On 11/23/2023 at 1:30 PM, Pieter-za said:

and many (majority?) are in denial re this simple truth and will try even more / different etc products next time, instead of training and to condition properly to deliver the required effort....  (in general)

totally agree - incorporate intervals into your training. also improve your core - google core workouts for cyclists - it works. find out what works when you do cramp on the bike - i move back or bit forward on the saddle and/or pinch the skin above your lip but below your nose(don't laugh). chew Rennies.

Edited by The itch

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kgoroba said:

Anyone know how to use the photo voucher from 947 to get photos? I've been trying to download a Fab4 which costs less than the voucher but checkout still requires money. 

Please help. First 947 Road race completed

I wanted to purchase 3 photos. No way am i going to pay R800 for 3 photos. They can shove that where the sun don't shine.

21 minutes ago, Barry said:

I wanted to purchase 3 photos. No way am i going to pay R800 for 3 photos. They can shove that where the sun don't shine.

I didn’t buy any photos last year and I didn’t even wear the stickers this year.. 🤣🤣

madness.!

54 minutes ago, Barry said:

What would you consider a reasonable cost for:

1. Low resolution photos ?

2. Print quality photos ?

With dwindling entry numbers, the photographers must be selling less and less .... at what point is it no longer worth their time and equipment to shoot these events ?  (I have a friend stopped doing this some time back  ..... cost of lenses ..... time out shooting and lots more time behind a pc, and people dont want to pay)

Then again, three of the events I did this year had professional photographers (one even had videographers), and shared the print quality photos free of charge.   I also bought photos from CTCT and Winelands, in each case purely because it was very nice photos .... I wont pay for "so-so" photos ..... 

One can only wonder where the tipping point is between "our expectations" and the break even point for event organisers, as well as their service providers.

31 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

With dwindling entry numbers, the photographers must be selling less and less .... at what point is it no longer worth their time and equipment to shoot these events ?  (I have a friend stopped doing this some time back  ..... cost of lenses ..... time out shooting and lots more time behind a pc, and people dont want to pay)

Then again, three of the events I did this year had professional photographers (one even had videographers), and shared the print quality photos free of charge.   I also bought photos from CTCT and Winelands, in each case purely because it was very nice photos .... I wont pay for "so-so" photos ..... 

One can only wonder where the tipping point is between "our expectations" and the break even point for event organisers, as well as their service providers.

People were whining about the RAF photo packages, which were free and not that bad actually. Given the hard costs of photographing an event, R80 for an image is not an unreasonable amount. 
Back in the day, agencies like MyPicture and Action Photo often had to pay many events to sell images to riders. Plus the imaging software for sorting etc is pretty pricey, and you need to pay staff on the day. So these are all costs to be recovered before showing a net turnover. 
Everyone expects their image to be a cover shot, unfortunately not everyone is cover shot material and when you're nailing over 10000 button/shutter actuations on a single event, there has to be a compromise between creativity and getting a clean infocus image in the moment.
Personally I think event images should be subsidised at least in part as brand value for A sponsor/event. 

Also a reality in SA, photography is generally not an understood medium of communication, both in value and creation. This is a whole other topic on it's own. 

29 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

People were whining about the RAF photo packages, which were free and not that bad actually. Given the hard costs of photographing an event, R80 for an image is not an unreasonable amount. 
Back in the day, agencies like MyPicture and Action Photo often had to pay many events to sell images to riders. Plus the imaging software for sorting etc is pretty pricey, and you need to pay staff on the day. So these are all costs to be recovered before showing a net turnover. 
Everyone expects their image to be a cover shot, unfortunately not everyone is cover shot material and when you're nailing over 10000 button/shutter actuations on a single event, there has to be a compromise between creativity and getting a clean infocus image in the moment.
Personally I think event images should be subsidised at least in part as brand value for A sponsor/event. 

Also a reality in SA, photography is generally not an understood medium of communication, both in value and creation. This is a whole other topic on it's own. 

Yeah I had to be real with myself.. open mouthed, breathing heavily, red faced and sweaty isn’t a good look for me..😬🤣🤣

not interested in photos of that🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

947 MTB photos were free the Trailseeker series photos are free. As stated probably R80 each would be fair. As for professional photos i don't think this would apply. Photos are mass uploaded no editing nothing. I pay almost half that for kids school photos and i probably get 15 or so.

Kids photos from school are R105 per digital image, or R190 for all three. Two kids means R380 per year, excluding group photos.

Prefer to take my own photos at the start of every year, and let them decide which ones they like.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Kids photos from school are R105 per digital image, or R190 for all three. Two kids means R380 per year, excluding group photos.

Prefer to take my own photos at the start of every year, and let them decide which ones they like.

Even at R380 i would take them and even throw in a keyring or coffee cup😂. As for 947 at R800 for 3 images i can easily walk away and i think many others could/have done the same.

2 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

Yeah I had to be real with myself.. open mouthed, breathing heavily, red faced and sweaty isn’t a good look for me..😬🤣🤣

not interested in photos of that🤦‍♂️

Look ahead .... spot the Tog ....  zip up ... pull that tummy in .... get a gap to other riders for a clean shot .... smile .... damn hard work to create a worthy canvas for a pic ..... 😋

2 hours ago, Barry said:

947 MTB photos were free the Trailseeker series photos are free. As stated probably R80 each would be fair. As for professional photos i don't think this would apply. Photos are mass uploaded no editing nothing. I pay almost half that for kids school photos and i probably get 15 or so.

I get your point.

I have seen some pretty crappy pics - Durbie Dash.

Decent, but minimal to zero editing - Trailseeker.  Actually miffed that I could not get the photo they took after the finish at the Trailseeker banner 

Good - Trans Augrabies as well as Vines and Views.   Not sure how much editing .... but thought went into the composition ....  V&V also had rapid shots in action spots, very nice !!   (zero cost for these high res photos)

As a keen photographer I will gladly pay for a GOOD photo.  I wont download crappy pics, even when it is free.

Editing .....takes a LOT of time when dealing with these volumes.  But if you want prime price for a prime photo, either edit it properly, OR sell me the RAW image.

9 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I get your point.

I have seen some pretty crappy pics - Durbie Dash.

Decent, but minimal to zero editing - Trailseeker.  Actually miffed that I could not get the photo they took after the finish at the Trailseeker banner 

Good - Trans Augrabies as well as Vines and Views.   Not sure how much editing .... but thought went into the composition ....  V&V also had rapid shots in action spots, very nice !!   (zero cost for these high res photos)

As a keen photographer I will gladly pay for a GOOD photo.  I wont download crappy pics, even when it is free.

Editing .....takes a LOT of time when dealing with these volumes.  But if you want prime price for a prime photo, either edit it properly, OR sell me the RAW image.

As a photographer that has dealt with mass quantity pics and quick turn around time, you need to keep any edits to a absolute minimum. This means basic straightening of the image, possibly some slight exposure corrections and thats about it. 

There is no time for anything else, shoot jpg and get the stuff out.

As for composition etc., someone raised a good point earlier, not very easy when you're shooting 1000s of riders coming past, but I'll add another dimension to this and that is experience. In order to keep internal costs down they most likely use students or inexperienced photographers for these events.

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Look ahead .... spot the Tog ....  zip up ... pull that tummy in .... get a gap to other riders for a clean shot .... smile .... damn hard work to create a worthy canvas for a pic ..... 😋

Oh yeah I forgot about the tummy.!! 😳🤣