Fork Debate

love2fly

On my dual suss mtb for the last 3 years I've been riding a RS 30 Gold set at 120mm travel but recently managed to get a Fox 32 Evolution 100mm. The RS is Quick Release and the Fox thru axle.

I ride trails and a mix of flats and climbs and enjoy the faster twisty descents. Im not sure I notice much if any difference between them especially the stanchion diameter so would like some input?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox has thicker stanchions and thru Axle

So the the fork and interface with the front wheel should add alot of stability if you don't weigh less than 60kg

Weigh 100kg. I just don't feel any major difference. If I give it some thought maybe a little....but just nothing that would make me want to spend money on

If you don’t notice it then nothing anyone is going to say will convince you.

On paper it can say anything but on the trail you don’t feel it.

For me I didn’t notice a difference going from a 160mm Lyrik to a 140mm Pike.

I also don’t notice a single difference when changing compression settings.

On my dual suss mtb for the last 3 years I've been riding a RS 30 Gold set at 120mm travel but recently managed to get a Fox 32 Evolution 100mm. The RS is Quick Release and the Fox thru axle.

I ride trails and a mix of flats and climbs and enjoy the faster twisty descents. Im not sure I notice much if any difference between them especially the stanchion diameter so would like some input?

I'm not really sure what you're asking?

The Fox is the more premium product. Whether you can feel a difference is purely subjective

If you don’t notice it then nothing anyone is going to say will convince you.

On paper it can say anything but on the trail you don’t feel it.

For me I didn’t notice a difference going from a 160mm Lyrik to a 140mm Pike.

I also don’t notice a single difference when changing compression settings.

Lyrik has thicker stanchions than the pike and slightly more burly lowers

But lowering the pike 20mm gave you more bushing overlap and that would account for the difference in stiffness

The more important factor is, is the Fox set-up perfectly for you? A better fork can feel the same or even worse than a cheaper fork if not set up correctly.

The more important factor is, is the Fox set-up perfectly for you? A better fork can feel the same or even worse than a cheaper fork if not set up correctly.

This is exaclty the problem I have. I had a cheap(er) Manitou Markhor fork, really liked it. Then I upgraded to a RS Reba. Just not the same and I blame the setup. I can't find the sweet spot.

This is my second Reba, the first one was fine, not much better than the Manitou. I am actually considering a Markhor again. Don't think I would actually do it, but maybe.

Weigh 100kg. I just don't feel any major difference. If I give it some thought maybe a little....but just nothing that would make me want to spend money on

At your weight both of those forks must feel like sloppy noodles under you.... do yourself a favour and demo a 34, or a Pike.

Personally I won't ride anything less than a Lyrik or 36 again, even on a short travel bike. Everything else just feels shyte in comparison.

Lyrik has thicker stanchions than the pike and slightly more burly lowers

But lowering the pike 20mm gave you more bushing overlap and that would account for the difference in stiffness

On paper. I don’t notice it on the trail.

At your weight both of those forks must feel like sloppy noodles under you.... do yourself a favour and demo a 34, or a Pike.

Personally I won't ride anything less than a Lyrik or 36 again, even on a short travel bike. Everything else just feels shyte in comparison.

Trust me the new 34's are quite surprising, I quickly test rode one (6km) and it was much stiffer than I expected

34 step cast FS at 120mm

Edited by BaGearA

On paper. I don’t notice it on the trail.

. Yes and I wouldn't expect anyone to, I was just point it for those reasons I'd expect them to feel nearly identical

The Fox is the more premium product. Whether you can feel a difference is purely subjective

My point is I don't feel a major difference. Whether Fox is premium I doubt very much. I think it's up to personal taste. 2 family members have had repeated qc issues on shocks and forks on 2 brand new Trek Top Fuels...

I'm very pernickety on setup and have played with sag and rebound quite a lot. Interestingly I like the Fox a bit softer than the base psi recommended for my weight

Edited by love2fly

My point is I don't feel a major difference. Whether Fox is premium I doubt very much. I think it's up to personal taste. 2 family members have had repeated qc issues on shocks and forks on 2 brand new Trek Top Fuels...

okay but you have A 32 evo , which was notorious for its damper problems so the performance might not be as it should , maybe have it inspected by cogent