Appropriate chainring size

Scott roy

I have considered going back to 2x but my frame is 1x specific

500% gear range still too narrow? 

get a cheap 26er with deore 3 x 9 groupset. you could get a swerx version for under R10k here if you're patient. that will give you more range and hipster cred

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, chainring too big for the climbs, too small for top speed... If only... someone invented a kind of chainring that had two different sizes.. maybe with a device to switch between them?

Standard XT 2x10 setup even with a Praxis wide range cassette doesn't really give you much more range than a SRAM 10-50/500% cassette. 

I’m from Pretoria. I ride out in zwavelspoort side

What are the 'serious climbs' you are referring to? WTF and Achilles?

I think you should give the 36T time to be honest. Pretoria is not all that steep. Sure, it has some sections like the above, but they're generally not all that long and most of the time you're on the flatter gradients when riding around the plots in the East.

isnt there A 10-52 eagle cassette now ? 

get that and keep the 36 , 38 is WC level ballsy 

how much time are you really spending above 52kph ?

isnt there A 10-52 eagle cassette now ? 

get that and keep the 36 , 38 is WC level ballsy 

how much time are you really spending above 52kph ?

KCNC and maybe Sunrace too make a 9-52. But I am not sure what derailleur would accommodate that.

Hi all. Ever since I rebuilt my bike with lighter components I’ve felt it just wants to go faster and faster. I’m currently running a 36t chainring with Sram xx1 10-50t cassette. I have a hard time on serious climbs so I want to go to a smaller chainring like a 34t but I am afraid of loosing out on my top speed. then on flats my 36t feels to small and I want a 38t chainring so I’m wondering should I go the 38t direction and maybe get out the saddle more on climbs or the 34t option and loose my top speed a bit? I’ve also thaught of going oval but I am not to sure about it’s benefits and loses

36t with 10 back feels too small on flats? Then you are flying 45km/h+ on flats, I personally do not know anyone who does this on a mtb for prolonged periods.

Either go 34t or get a 10-52 cassette.

KCNC and maybe Sunrace too make a 9-52. But I am not sure what derailleur would accommodate that.

The kcnc 9/50 is the worst piece of kit I’ve ever tried - if you love noisy grinding sounds, it’s great

What are the 'serious climbs' you are referring to? WTF and Achilles?

I think you should give the 36T time to be honest. Pretoria is not all that steep. Sure, it has some sections like the above, but they're generally not all that long and most of the time you're on the flatter gradients when riding around the plots in the East.

I do a fair amount of climbing so like on a 30-40km ride I climb 500-1000m. Yes I do ride wtf a lot also mooikloof wall

36t with 10 back feels too small on flats? Then you are flying 45km/h+ on flats, I personally do not know anyone who does this on a mtb for prolonged periods.

Either go 34t or get a 10-52 cassette.

I don’t really go above 40km/h on flats but even on the slightest downhills I do 45-50km/h

Hi all. Ever since I rebuilt my bike with lighter components I’ve felt it just wants to go faster and faster. I’m currently running a 36t chainring with Sram xx1 10-50t cassette. I have a hard time on serious climbs so I want to go to a smaller chainring like a 34t but I am afraid of loosing out on my top speed. then on flats my 36t feels to small and I want a 38t chainring so I’m wondering should I go the 38t direction and maybe get out the saddle more on climbs or the 34t option and loose my top speed a bit? I’ve also thaught of going oval but I am not to sure about it’s benefits and loses

Get a 38 and use it for flatter rides, keep the 36 and stick that on when you know you're gonna need it?

Oval chainrings supposedly improves the power through the stroke and should in my mind help with climbs. Perhaps try a 34t oval ring which should aid in the climbs and give you that ~2 kph advantage on the flats? Just a thought.

From my chats about oval rings at LBS it seems that a 34t oval is (apparently) equivalent to a 36t round ring...I dunno for sure. Anyone know if this is indeed so?

[edit] - I ride 34t round and Eagle 11-50 ring at the back and it works plenty fine for me. Average speed on tarred flats is ~25 kph and max is around ~44/45 kph but then I am striking matches like mad. 

On trails I have never run out of gears and spun out pedaling.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

I do a fair amount of climbing so like on a 30-40km ride I climb 500-1000m. Yes I do ride wtf a lot also mooikloof wall

What is your overall fitness like at this moment? Do you think that you will improve on it? If so, I'd stick with the 36, but if you are really struggling then I would go down to a 34 in the interim whilst you build up your fitness, and then switch back to the 36 once you're stronger.

For reference, I ride a 34:34 (or 36:36 I don't recall) ratio on my gravel bike all around PTA-East with no real issues.

34/50? Your legs will be spinning like crazy.

Call me old fashioned, but if you are struggling on the hills, you don't need easier gears, you need to train harder.

Blasphemy! 

Everyone knows OP needs to buy a new lighter bike!