Tools: Replacing SRAM GXP Bottom bracket and Crank (Road)

sunchaser

Hi All, 

Please assist me where to buy tools (or toolset) to replace an old SRAM (2015) Bottom bracket and crank.

This is what I got at local LBS, but no handle. At Builders, they have no idea the type of handle for fitting???

post-6255-0-14754000-1618290089_thumb.jpeg

The tool in your pic is for a Shitmano crank - It is used to remove the plastic retainer cap, which is finger tight on the non drive side crank. After it is removed the 2 allen cap screws & plastic spacer are removed and the crank should slide off the shaft.

GXP cranks use an allen key on the non drive side crank - But here it gets a bit confusing - there are 2 allen bolts when you look at the crank a smaller one inside a bigger one - you will use the smaller one to loosen the crank - when you start it will loosen and then tighten again, so you need to carry on loosening it and it will push the crank off the spline. Once the crank is off, you then pull the drive side crank and spindle out of the BB.

Basically what is happening the small allen bolt loosens from the internal thread on the spindle and then as its loosening it pushes against the inside of the larger allen bolt which in turn pushes the crank off the splines on the spindle. 

DO NOT! remove the larger allen bolt - I repeat - DO NOT ! remove the larger allen bolt

Google GXP crank installation - there are pdf's from SRAM that explain with pictures

Ok thanks, I think I have nailed down the procedure. Managed to remove crank, just BB.

...where do buy the correct tool or toolset?

Bottom Bracket Tool Guide (Basic to Advanced) (firstcomponents.com)

The Park tool option I think is awful. I would not buy it. For some reason they make a lovely tool for PF30 BB's, but this design for the GXP/Shimano option is completely different.

post-5932-0-89320500-1618295323_thumb.png

I have the 'Bike-hand' version for GXP. looks like this (can't remember where I bought it). This works well, although in about 10 or 12 BB removals I have once managed to miss the head of the tool with my hammer. Chipped frame.  :cursing:

post-5932-0-66448400-1618295469_thumb.png

I have not been able to find a threaded BB removal tool for a GXP BB. (GXP and Shimano BBs are basically PF25/PF26)

Edited by 100Tours

Ok thanks, I think I have nailed down the procedure. Managed to remove crank, just BB.

...where do buy the correct tool or toolset?

It all depends on what type of BB you have

Pressfit - the right tool is the first one in 100tours post above - My method is a long round punch insert through the drive side and tap around the sides of the bearing inside the BB and the bearing will pop out, just be careful not to tilt the bearing while tapping it as it must come out straight   - repeat for the opposite side - I actually made a special tool with a rawl bolt and threaded rod which also works

For external threaded BB you need this tool

post-2304-0-30174100-1618296680_thumb.jpg

The tool you need  is the one for Shimano/Sram outboard threaded BB.  There are others that look the same so make sure that the diameter and number of notches match.