The pipetrack above Hout Bay is closed!

Bicyclegear

After 30 years of riding the pipetrack above Hout Bay, it has been closed!

The pipetrack is a peculiar piece of thoroughfare, traversing multiple landowners, including private and SanParks land. It route has been so important for anyone wanting to stay off the Main Road, when riding into or out of Hout Bay.

ERF 1783 is private land and the owner has decided to start developing. He is doing this by putting up a big black fence both sides of the pipetrack on his property. Effectively making a dead-end, if you are coming up from Hout Bay.

I believe he is well within his rights to do so. Would it not be awesome to for this developer see the value that cyclist and cycling bring to Hout Bay and greater Cape Town. 

Would it not be clever and a great bit of PR for this developer to integrate a bicycle thoroughfare through his property? Who knows given the profile of the cyclist, he might sell a house to one.

Let us see how this unfold!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he is well within his rights to do so. Would it not be awesome to for this developer see the value that cyclist and cycling bring to Hout Bay and greater Cape Town. .

I noticed the gate track being layed on the weekend. Can I ask why you say it's in his rights to do so?

To the best of my knowledge this land was always part of the roads department and many times over the years they talked about tarring and using it as a bypass for Constantia Nek.

My feeling is that a precedent has been set over the last couple decades, as it has always been open to cyclists and walkers, even being using to get around accidents when the Nek has been closed. They have put up fences in the past, but they have always been removed! Never felt safe cycling up the Nek and the pipe track was always my route having grown up in Hout Bay.

Think a petition is in order.

Is the erf that was sold not only above the pipe track road? 

I noticed the gate track being layed on the weekend. Can I ask why you say it's in his rights to do so?

To the best of my knowledge this land was always part of the roads department and many times over the years they talked about tarring and using it as a bypass for Constantia Nek.

My feeling is that a precedent has been set over the last couple decades, as it has always been open to cyclists and walkers, even being using to get around accidents when the Nek has been closed. They have put up fences in the past, but they have always been removed! Never felt safe cycling up the Nek and the pipe track was always my route having grown up in Hout Bay.

This!!

That road has heritage or soemthing or the other. Same thing happened in langebaan where the land owner tried to close a road now called stompneus drive. It went to court and the road is still open. This was a few years ago.

The pipetrack traverses a number of properties. The pipetrack does indeed carry water into Hout Bay, The city leases the road from each land owner. When I developed the Vlakkenberg MTB trail, I had to find out all of this the hard way... 

This!!

That road has heritage or soemthing or the other. Same thing happened in langebaan where the land owner tried to close a road now called stompneus drive. It went to court and the road is still open. This was a few years ago.

Do you have link to the article still?

If you look at the EGIS erf map for Cape Town, you will see that ERF 1783. I think a list would be a great start, showing how many people actually use the pipetrack.

I think the approach should be about, showing the land owner how many people use the pipetrack. Is Change.org a good online petition site?

How do you find that erf one the map?

I searched erf 1783. Nothing

1783, houtbay. Nothing

1st questions, does the developer even know of the road/trail access.

Does anyone know the of the developer?

The city should really put in a bike path/lane on the side of the road as well like the one in constania, that grey hard pack stuff.

Does anyone know the of the developer?

Have you contacted the roads or town planning department to ask them RE the works?

That area should fall under Southern District, relevant details attached and hopefully they can assist you.

post-5403-0-21672800-1618384073_thumb.jpg