Vinyl wrap my helmet.

MJ the Expat

I'd like to change the color on my helmet.

Something custom.

Is it possible with something like a vinyl wrap?

Or spray paint?

Something custom.

Or spray paint?

Both options are possible.  Not sure if you were hoping to do it yourself or get someone to do it for you.  Check out these for inspiration:

Wrap:  https://wrapmybike.shop/product-categorie/helmets/

Paint:  

If painting, make sure you use a polystyrene safe primer to protect the help from the paint.  Otherwise the paint will eat you helmet...

Many years ago I wanted to have my motorcycle helmet re-sprayed, but was warned that the helmet-shell was manufactured to slide across tar, and by re-spraying it, it(the paint) could possibly grab onto the road surface twisting your neck  ..... is that a thing or a tall tale?  :ph34r: 

Many years ago I wanted to have my motorcycle helmet re-sprayed, but was warned that the helmet-shell was manufactured to slide across tar, and by re-spraying it, it(the paint) could possibly grab onto the road surface twisting your neck  ..... is that a thing or a tall tale?  :ph34r: 

Tomorrow is Friday

My first thought when I read the post heading !!!

(And I suspect Alouette3 may just agree with you)

My first thought when I read the post heading !!!

(And I suspect Alouette3 may just agree with you)

I suspect the vinyl prevents it from splitting like it should, but as for sliding across the tar I very much doubt it will grab the road surface any more than not having it.

Adhesive vinyl may be okay perhaps but I would not spray paint a helmet; I would rather throw it away and replace it. The solvents in the paint may well damage the shell of the helmet, even though it is not visible to the eye. And when you need it most, you may find it is unfortunately compromised.

Something custom.

Or spray paint?

can always just go with this design, very popular

Adhesive vinyl may be okay perhaps but I would not spray paint a helmet; I would rather throw it away and replace it. The solvents in the paint may well damage the shell of the helmet, even though it is not visible to the eye. And when you need it most, you may find it is unfortunately compromised.

Just don't spray the "foamalite" protection part, stick to the shell only and use acrylic paint and it will be fine. Your masking game needs to be on point. Check out ETOE on YouTube, he explains it in detail. It's a total PITA to do.

Just don't spray the "foamalite" protection part, stick to the shell only and use acrylic paint and it will be fine. Your masking game needs to be on point. Check out ETOE on YouTube, he explains it in detail. It's a total PITA to do.

Agreed. The "looks" part of the helmet is just a thin layer of plastic that is mostly for aesthetics but also because the surface of polystyrene damages quite easily so it prevents the polystyrene from getting hundreds of little dings because you dropped your helmet when picking up the car keys/lightly bumped it against the dining room table, etc. In a crash the thin outer layer does nothing for protecting your head, that is the polystyrene's job.