Crossing through Tygerberg reserve from Plattekloof to Bloemendal ?

Jbr

Hey guys,

since Dunoon is getting out of control I'm less and less keen to cycle passed on my way from sunningdale to the trails.

I'm now trying to find a way to the trails without cycling my MTB around the world.

I see on google that there seem to be plenty of trails on the tygerberg nature reserve, but according to strava, not so many activites use them...

post-139805-0-10964100-1618474677_thumb.jpgpost-139805-0-06735500-1618474683_thumb.jpg

Maybe some of you know a way through ? I think I'm gonna head there sometime to explore.

We rode and explored a lot in the Tygerberg Nature Reserve - MANY YEARS AGO, when it was still allowed. There are only jeep tracks up there that connects Plattekloof to Majik Forest, but it's all still in the reserve with big fences to keep people out - AFAIK. The closest we got was a track that went from where the Pick n Pay in Plattekloof now is, all the way on top of Plattekloof and then it went to the masts of Tygerberg. So unfortunately the Reserve is off limits for cycling. So, not to be rude, but you are going to waste your time looking for a possibility.

I'm going to follow this topic if you don't mind. I live in Parklands and am also reluctant to cycle down Sandown/Malibongwe anymore to get to the trails. 

We rode and explored a lot in the Tygerberg Nature Reserve - MANY YEARS AGO, when it was still allowed. There are only jeep tracks up there that connects Plattekloof to Majik Forest, but it's all still in the reserve with big fences to keep people out - AFAIK. The closest we got was a track that went from where the Pick n Pay in Plattekloof now is, all the way on top of Plattekloof and then it went to the masts of Tygerberg. So unfortunately the Reserve is off limits for cycling. So, not to be rude, but you are going to waste your time looking for a possibility.

:(  that's a bit sad... Guess I'm gonna have to move to Durbanville then  :lol:

Ja...DuNoon...'nuff said

Driving past there is becoming a challenge these days.

Methinks we need to start a petition to get some trails built on Blaauwberg hill...

post-103677-0-01906500-1618479893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Ja...DuNoon...'nuff said

Driving past there is becoming a challenge these days.

Methinks we need to start a petition to get some trails built on Blaauwberg hill...

attachicon.gifBlaauwberg.jpg

That would be so awesome to have a hill to train on safely nearby ! Sick of the early morning missions to kloofnek in heavy trafic

That would be so awesome to have a hill to train on safely nearby ! Sick of the early morning missions to kloofnek in heavy trafic

I'd be happy to be allowed to just ride up the existing road which has a proper incline. It will definitely be a good workout.

In the early days of Tygerberg MTB club (+- 12 years ago) we were invited by the manager of the Blaauwberg reserve to look at the possibility to build trails on Blaauwberg hill.  They took us up there in a 4x4.  My memory is a bit faded due to too many hours on the bike in the sun (not old-age!), but I think the decision at the time was that it would be too expensive to build trails there due to the nature of the terrain.  We also started building Meerendal around that time. (Tygerberg at that stage had fewer than 300 members).

Hey guys,

since Dunoon is getting out of control I'm less and less keen to cycle passed on my way from sunningdale to the trails.

I'm now trying to find a way to the trails without cycling my MTB around the world.

I see on google that there seem to be plenty of trails on the tygerberg nature reserve, but according to strava, not so many activites use them...

attachicon.gifroad.JPGattachicon.gifstrava.JPG

Maybe some of you know a way through ? I think I'm gonna head there sometime to explore.

I also live in Sunningdale and have been avoiding the Du Noon area.since I moved to Sunningdale a year ago. Cycling in that area is simply too risky.To get to the TBT I simply connect with the cycling lane running in Blaauwberg road, then right on the M14,(all the time on the designated cycle lanes/pavements ) then left on the M14 at the traffic circle near Makro. The only risky area is the traffic lights on top of the bridge which are out of order but thereafter it is plain sailing all the way to the TBT .On the cycle lanes and pavements I always adopt a courteous  approach towards pedestrians and have not had any bad experiences in the past .

I also live in Sunningdale and have been avoiding the Du Noon area.since I moved to Sunningdale a year ago. Cycling in that area is simply too risky.To get to the TBT I simply connect with the cycling lane running in Blaauwberg road, then right on the M14,(all the time on the designated cycle lanes/pavements ) then left on the M14 at the traffic circle near Makro. The only risky area is the traffic lights on top of the bridge which are out of order but thereafter it is plain sailing all the way to the TBT .On the cycle lanes and pavements I always adopt a courteous  approach towards pedestrians and have not had any bad experiences in the past .

So I'm assuming after the makro bridge you turn left to get back to contermanskloof intersection to rejoin nitida/bloemendal ? That's a massive detour from where I stay, like double the distance, my idea is to do exactly what you say, except I go straight after makro/the bridge and then cross over the mountain down into bloemendal. But it seems impossible without going around tygerberg reserve and then up majik forest, but then same thing, I end up riding 40km on the road just to go to the trails... I'd rather go ride my road bike or drive to the trails.

Edited by Jbr

Tygerberg MTB Club is often approached by land owners outside of the Tygerberg area who are interested in developing trails. Our main focus however is on trails within our geographical area, particularly if there is a possibility of linking them. 

We were approached a while back wrt developing a corridor of sorts from the atlantic seaboard to the tygerberg trails but the proximity to DuNoon made it a non-starter.

If a more feasible option presents itself or if the landowners surrounding the nature reserve reconsider allowing cyclists on their land, we'll definitely try to make a plan to at least make some of the detour route exciting.

Tygerberg MTB Club is often approached by land owners outside of the Tygerberg area who are interested in developing trails. Our main focus however is on trails within our geographical area, particularly if there is a possibility of linking them. 

We were approached a while back wrt developing a corridor of sorts from the atlantic seaboard to the tygerberg trails but the proximity to DuNoon made it a non-starter.

If a more feasible option presents itself or if the landowners surrounding the nature reserve reconsider allowing cyclists on their land, we'll definitely try to make a plan to at least make some of the detour route exciting.

To be honest, I wouldn't use any trail near dunoon area as it would be EVEN MORE dangerous than riding on the road, where at least you can count on the fact that it's a bit busy as an ally. But it would be nice to just be able to cross like this :post-139805-0-10964100-1618474677.jpg

From De Grendel or even Plattekloof 3 or 2 with a door Bloemendal side would be a great alternative

To be honest, I wouldn't use any trail near dunoon area as it would be EVEN MORE dangerous than riding on the road, where at least you can count on the fact that it's a bit busy as an ally. But it would be nice to just be able to cross like this :post-139805-0-10964100-1618474677.jpg

From De Grendel or even Plattekloof 3 or 2 with a door Bloemendal side would be a great alternative

There are 3 land owners involved. One I know is slowly warming to the idea of mountain bikes on their land. The other 2 have more perimeter security than a prison but if anybody has good contacts at De Grendel and thinks they may be able to assist in negotiating access, please pm me.

There are 3 land owners involved. One I know is slowly warming to the idea of mountain bikes on their land. The other 2 have more perimeter security than a prison but if anybody has good contacts at De Grendel and thinks they may be able to assist in negotiating access, please pm me.

Thanks for the great communication, fingers crossed for that one owner to give you guys a go, it would be amazing to have that traverse ;)

I would also appreciate a route from this side (Sunningdale) across the hill to Bloemendal and back. That would be great for the club to recognize all the members residing on the atlantic side of the Tygerberg. I have taken a detour down the R27 to Paddocks and then to Makro and up Plattekloof to the very top, over Jip de Jager and then up, up and more up to the start of the Protea Hotel Traverse. (by that time I'm properly poked) so I have only attempted this a handful of times to date since DuNoon became a no-go area. As Jbr says, this in fact becomes a road ride session instead.

Having said all that, I am confident that all the club members on this side will be overjoyed if the club could sanction the opening of the Blauuwberg Hill road to cyclists with the understanding that no trails are going to be built (at least for starters since the membership has grown substantially since the early days of only having 300 members.)