Towbars are sometimes loose - does it bother anyone?

Gerald_D

Hi

I am new here. Busy developing a local product to tighten up most loose towbars - those where the square tube is loose in the receiver. The problem is very much discussed in American forums, but I can't find that the locals experience it.

Here are some examples:
https://youtu.be/J_fHQmeOEGs?t=34

We (iTrekz) are testing a clamp with a similar function to those in the videos, but modified to cater for local towbars. The Toyota HiLux often has towbar by Bosal with a knurled screw which needs to be avoided. Further, they use a 54x54mm tube, bigger than the American/British 2inch tube. And the receiving square socket it welded up from laser cut plates that protrude down . . . . . therefore our anti-rattle clamp looks like the attached, different and stronger to those found on Amazon.   post-182381-0-47837500-1618496561_thumb.jpg

Our development was for guys towing lightly loaded trailers (heavy loads don't rattle so much), then my son pointed out that bike racks are also an issue - and pointed me to this forum! :) 

Yours comments would be appreciated, thank you

That is great!

The removable towbar's rattle on my wife's previous car irritated me a lot. Bonus points if you can adapt it to be able to lock somehow, I reckon it is a question of time before we will see stolen trailers and bike racks with luggage and bikes etc taken with the towball and all.

That is great!

The removable towbar's rattle on my wife's previous car irritated me a lot. Bonus points if you can adapt it to be able to lock somehow, I reckon it is a question of time before we will see stolen trailers and bike racks with luggage and bikes etc taken with the towball and all.

Thank you Philip

I had two opposing comments today; you suggest to make it more lockable, another guy wants to have it more removable because he says that is why he bought a removable tow hitch. Will play with two concepts and see if we can satisfy both.

Thank you Philip

I had two opposing comments today; you suggest to make it more lockable, another guy wants to have it more removable because he says that is why he bought a removable tow hitch. Will play with two concepts and see if we can satisfy both.

On some vehicles the towbar blocks the number plate, thus the removable towbar is supposed to be removed when not in use.

For longer term use I have replaced the "removal pin" with a bolt and lock nut. A com bination of a shim and TIGHTENING the bolt provided a nice snug fitting unit.

Much more of a challenge to keep it removable .... get it to snug ... AND still be able to fit and remove easily ....

Thank you Philip

Interesting.

My fear is that the swerkater pulls out the locking pin and steals my trailer or bike carrier.

So any device that makes it harder to steal will better.

But I also understand why the other guy wants to be able to remove it quickly.

• 5 months later...

A bit of feedback on this thread . . . .

My son, Sean, has now sold a number of these anti-rattle clamps mostly for HiLux owners who have seen this thread. It has not yet been "advertised" anywhere else. Has also been fitted to FJ Cruiser and Pajero. Sean now has a decent stock and will start a proper promotion campaign. Selling at R295 ex-Cape Town. info@itrekz.com

I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole in the top and side of the receiver. Grub screw in each solved all rattles. 

Edited by dave303e
for got to add tapped...

Interestingly, my Navara has a similar issue. There is however on the removable section, a captive nut with a corresponding hole in the outer section, so when I next go to the hardware store I just need to get a big enough bolt, to fasten everything together.

Bit of a thread hijack, but rattling towbars nonetheless, I always keep empty 1L milk sachet bags handy - a 12cm x 12cm square cut out of the sachet put over the ball before you hook the trailer takes away any play between the ball and the hitch - which stops that irritating noise of a trailer rattling when you brake or go over a bump.

2 hours ago, Thug said:

. . . . .  when I next go to the hardware store I just need to get a big enough bolt, to fasten everything together.

Be careful of hardware store bolts - they generally are of the lowest strength grade and snap easily.

Our clamp has 12mm threads equivalent to grade 8.8 strength and can be tightened to 90 Nm. This is really heavy duty and permanent. A different league to most of the other solutions above.

Installation guide Rev01.pdf

Edited by Gerald_D

Seems that the rattling of the towbar is more an issue from others than for me. The bolt on the side of my removable towbar is adjusted to keep snug but loose. Still some movement but cant even say that i have ever heard noise of either towing a trailer or using a bike rack. Noise from trailer hitch on towbal would also probably be more.