Stripped Crank, Repair or Replace?

Bjorn881

I took a big rock strike today, which unfortunately stripped one of my Sram XX1 cranks to such a degree that the pedal subsequently fell out after a bit of riding. Unfortunately a new Sram XX1 crankset is out of the question, even the Gx crankset at R3k is eye watering! I see Rapide sell a set of cranks without the chain-ring for a much more palatable R1k, is this a good option!? I'm not particularly concerned about the crank weight as I mainly ride Trail/Enduro trails! Are there any other brands that I should be looking at? Alternatively if its feasible, where would one go to have the stripped thread removed from the crank and a new thread installed?

Most engineering places can insert a helicoil if its just the threads that are stripped. If the metallic insert has become unbonded with the carbon cranks, then there are some attempts but it's not a good prognosis.

The Rapide and Lyne cranks are pretty great options. Had Lyne, and absolutely no complaints from them.

Good luck man!

Xxi are a carbon crankset, if you hit it hard enough to ultimately destroy the pedal thread should you not be looking for a new crankset from the start?

Edited by BMXER

Screw the pedal in from the other side, the pedal thread will tap the thread again as the thread material is harder than the crank arm

That definitely will not help if the pedal already fell out.

Retapping a stripped pedal thread is also extremely unsafe.

Get a new crank. A strike hard enough rip out a pedal will be hard enough to damage the crank.

If you are insured, perhaps you can claim for a replacement.

Screw the pedal in from the other side, the pedal thread will tap the thread again as the thread material is harder than the crank arm

Had a couple glasses wyn, so I MAY be off the mark here...

...but SURELY putting a thread in 180 degrees opposite the intended thread direction, MUST cut a thread in the opposite rotation of the thread-cut that is needed?

I can imagine using the OPPOSING pedal to cut the correct-direction thread, but if you think righty-tightly, lefty-loosely, and then put a pedal thread in from theWRONG side, it MUST cut the thread incorrectly...

As I said, 2 BIG Chardonnay’s, so forgive my fuzzy logic...

Chris

...but SURELY putting a thread in 180 degrees opposite the intended thread direction, MUST cut a thread in the opposite rotation of the thread-cut that is needed?

I can imagine using the OPPOSING pedal to cut the correct-direction thread, but if you think righty-tightly, lefty-loosely, and then put a pedal thread in from theWRONG side, it MUST cut the thread incorrectly...

Chris

Thread direction doesn’t change when you flip her over. You still screw it the same way.

@Madmarc - most engineering shops will turn that out for you in an hour or less. And at a fraction of the cost of the tool. Or ask your LBS and they can send it off to get fixed. 

But if its a carbon crank arm, I'd resign it to a paperweight and get a new one. 

I have no idea, it was just a "side of the road" fix one of the guys on my ride did with a stripped pedal and it worked a treat. I can't recall the direction the thread went in but I can confirm that this does in fact work  :thumbup:

But again, this was a side of the road hack to be able to get home. What the rider did after the fact and or if the pedal is still in the crank I cannot comment  :whistling:

Chris

I have no idea, it was just a "side of the road" fix one of the guys on my ride did with a stripped pedal and it worked a treat. I can't recall the direction the thread went in but I can confirm that this does in fact work  :thumbup:

But again, this was a side of the road hack to be able to get home. What the rider did after the fact and or if the pedal is still in the crank I cannot comment  :whistling:

As stated earlier, pedal thread direction wont change. thing of a nut and bolt, it doesnt matter on which side of the nut you screw the bolt into, its still righty tighty lefty loosey. 

me thinks Zebra had 2 BOTTLES of Chardonnay, not 2 glasses.

Cross threaded yes, stripped no. Once a thread is stripped there's not enough material to take the tightening force and the pedal will fall out again in pretty short order.

OP - Carbon Ninja FTW, in this case. He may be able to bond an insert on for you.