Stripped Crank, Repair or Replace?

Bjorn881

My one pedal somehow got severely cross threaded I think: the pedal was skew, I must have knocked it somewhere or perhaps it become loose on the trail. I took it to the shop and they fitted a helicoil, it's been good as new since. It didn't cost much, R 185. This was Knipe Racing.

Edited by aquaratza

My one pedal somehow got severely cross threaded I think: the pedal was skew, I must have knocked it somewhere or perhaps it become loose on the trail. I took it to the shop and they fitted a helicoil, it's been good as new since. It didn't cost much, R 185. This was Knipe Racing.

I appreciate that "helicoil" may be a generic term used here but Timesert offers a slightly meatier alternative. Find an expert.

Thank you for all the advice, after thinking it over I concur that an impact big enough to rip out a pedal unfortunately justifies new crank arms. It's mildly annoying that 90% of new cranks come with a mandatory chain-ring hence increasing the cost! Anyway I opted to go for the Rapide StrongArm SL Crank arms which come without a chain-ring which kept the cost down as I'm not bothered by the difference of just over 200g weight difference between the Sram XX1 and Rapide Alloy cranks.

I see the OP has solved the problem by purchasing a new crank but just to add to this, helicoils are junk in my opinion and a proper threaded insert is a way better option, there is a difference between the two.  The most common thread size for most pedals will be an imperial thread form, the size will be 9/16"x 20 threads per inch British Standard Cycle (BSC).  This size and thread form is very specific to the bicycle and older motorcycle industries and you will not easily find an insert or a tap off the shelf from any engineering supplier in South Africa let alone for the left hand thread. The Park Tool kit is the best option and definitely a bicycle specific solution for stripped threads in an aluminium crank arm however best used by someone with a hands-on engineering background and the correct equipment, you don't want the new thread tapped skew which would cause the pedal to wobble.