Full suspension mtb squeaks and creaks.

MJ the Expat

Help me settle an argument.

A full suspension mtb will eventually squeak and creak.

Anyone who says it never happens probably doesn't ride enough or doesn't get the bike dirty.

Headset, stanchions, bb, seat post, internal cables and pivots.

They will eventually get noisy.

What say you?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think creaks and squeaks are a result of all the rough terrain the bike will be exposed to, so perhaps a good clean (major service) and following torque specs should get it reasonably quiet?

I disagree, if you maintain your bike it won't squeak and make other funny noises. Noises on anything appears because something is inherently wrong or no longer the way it was designed. It's like folks saying that a Beetle always leaks oil - it leaks oil because the seals and gaskets are the original ones when it left the factory, just because it still runs doesn't mean it should be like that. 

All my bikes make noises and includes the full sus, road and hardtail .The best of the lot is an alu road bike and a steel hardtail .The cranks/pedals and seat are usually the prime suspects 

My Trance 29 is two and a half years old with almost 4000km on it. Not a squeak or creak to be heard

My 11 year old Merida hardtail ridden weekly doesn't squeak and creak. Gets maintained regularly and if a squeak or creak does happen, its get's dealt with quickly.

My Prev scalpel creaked and squeaked , took it to my bike shop about 4 times replaced bearings x 2 bb etc etc etc.. Ended up beaing a crack at one of the pivots.. 

I get that a FS mtb will have the odd noise, and some will be noisier than others, but what's with (what seems to be) the majority of road bikes that sound like someone stirring a bucket of rusty spanners? perhaps I'm just fussy, but I have a conniption fit when my bikes squeak or rattle

Notnif you maintain it properly, some bikes are more prone to it however

Ny last VPP bike refused to creak no matter what awful conditions i go through

I get that a FS mtb will have the odd noise, and some will be noisier than others, but what's with (what seems to be) the majority of road bikes that sound like someone stirring a bucket of rusty spanners? perhaps I'm just fussy, but I have a conniption fit when my bikes squeak or rattle

I insists, bearings :

- wheels

- freehub

- pedals

- BB

if all these bearings are replaced as often as they need to be (meaning before the noises happen), provided that you clean and lube your chain regularly, you shouldn't have noises on your bicycle.

For full sus MTBs it is very expensive though keeping up with the wear of all your bearings, especially when you ride it 2/3 times a week. That and the suspension services a couple times a year (if not more, according to manufacturers recommendations)

Help me settle an argument.

Anyone who says it never happens probably doesn't ride enough or doesn't get the bike dirty.

Headset, stanchions, bb, seat post, internal cables and pivots.

They will eventually get noisy.

What say you?

Any bike will eventually squeak and creak if not maintained properly. A FS just has an extra set of pivots to generate noise with, but if kept clean and greased it won't.

Headsets, BBs, pivots and seatposts get noisy with dirt ingress, cleaning and greasing it solves it. Stanchions should never be noisy.

My guess is you ride enough, and get it dirty, but you neglect it.