Full suspension mtb squeaks and creaks.

MJ the Expat

Help me settle an argument.

A full suspension mtb will eventually squeak and creak.

Anyone who says it never happens probably doesn't ride enough or doesn't get the bike dirty.

Headset, stanchions, bb, seat post, internal cables and pivots.

They will eventually get noisy.

What say you?

If you maintain it religiously, no.

If you ride and service like any normal person would, then yes of course. The questions is just how much it annoys you and how long you can put up with it. A noisy bike irritates the hell out of me, it ruins my ride - I know it shouldn't, but I get fixated on it. So whenever I pick something up, I just sort it out immediately - it's PITA, but my bike is quiet. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the 14 or more bearings in my bikes rear suspension are creaking under pedaling loads. A sure sign that some of the linkage and pivot bearings are worn out...

Some of the 14 or more bearings in my bikes rear suspension are creaking under pedaling loads. A sure sign that some of the linkage and pivot bearings are worn out...

A friend of mine had that same issue a while ago. Turned out to be his rear thru axle that wasn't tightened properly. Dead silent again now.

This weekend my bike also started making creaking noises under load. I was SURE it was the BB. guess what...Thru axle. Which also explained my slightly crappy shifting.

A friend of mine had that same issue a while ago. Turned out to be his rear thru axle that wasn't tightened properly. Dead silent again now.

This weekend my bike also started making creaking noises under load. I was SURE it was the BB. guess what...Thru axle. Which also explained my slightly crappy shifting.

hahaha you always blame the BB first, and it is very rarely gilty ;) Last time it was one of my pedals !

hahaha you always blame the BB first, and it is very rarely gilty ;) Last time it was one of my pedals !

Oh totally! I am often guilty of this.

I even slapped a bunch of new grease into the freehub, so my ride is super silent now.

Anyone who says it never happens probably doesn't ride enough or doesn't get the bike dirty.

What say you?

Back on topic. I don't agree. If your bike is noisy, you're not giving it the required maintenance. If you ride more or ride in terrible conditions all the time you will need to do more maintenance to keep your bike running well. If you do minimal maintenance or don't replace parts when necessary, your bike will ride like a P.O.S.. 

I do however think you get two types of cyclist. The one that hates a noisy bike, and the one that doesn't even notice the noises. Sometimes I wish I was the latter, I would save a lot of money and I would probably ride better not thinking something is going to break because of whatever new noise my bike is making. On the other hand though, a silent bike is soooo satisfying to ride.

Edited by Rock Guy

A couple of months back my buddies bike was squeaking like the just juice ad. I kept on telling him to bring it around to me and we will sort it out. 3 weeks later he. Gave it a wash and lubed up everything. The bike was fine. A week later we were riding in the rain, and now his bike is still squeaking but not as bad. I do suspect it is his seat that is a bit loose on the mountings.

You'll find that suspension bearings, despite being sealed and usually with washer/seals over them on the bolt side, eventually give up. Not all at the same time and those exposed to the elements eg FSR pivots out back or the main pivot near the BB take more punishment. Water is the enemy. My Enduro has just started creaking after 3 years  or so. I noticed it when I stood a pedaled first. Very minor creaking. I washed the bike 2 weeks ago and since then it has creaked far more noisily and not only when I stand to pedal. Just goes to show what water and washing does to a bike. I hate to think how many bikes get pressure washed into oblivion especially at marathon events...

So the moral of the story: Don't wash bikes anymore, they cause noises  :offtopic:  :oops:  :eek:  :clap:

You'll find that suspension bearings, despite being sealed and usually with washer/seals over them on the bolt side, eventually give up. Not all at the same time and those exposed to the elements eg FSR pivots out back or the main pivot near the BB take more punishment. Water is the enemy. My Enduro has just started creaking after 3 years  or so. I noticed it when I stood a pedaled first. Very minor creaking. I washed the bike 2 weeks ago and since then it has creaked far more noisily and not only when I stand to pedal. Just goes to show what water and washing does to a bike. I hate to think how many bikes get pressure washed into oblivion especially at marathon events...

So the moral of the story: Don't wash bikes anymore, they cause noises  :offtopic:  :oops:  :eek:  :clap:

Ya that's pretty much what I do, made possible by dry Cape weather and very few muddy rides. Doesn't last forever though :-)

What say you?

Headset: This can even happen on a Road bike

stanchions: Could possibly happen on a hardtail and has no relation to a duallie

bb: Any bike can eventually get a noisy BB when worn out or a crappy press-fit installation.

seat post: Applicable to any bicycle, just simple maintenance

internal cables:  Applicable to any bicycle with internal cable housing, just simple maintenance

pivots: The only partially valid point in your whole post, and that is only from wear and tear or poor maintenance ... the same way any set of hubs can make a noise on any bicycle if not looked after

So just what are you complaining about again?

IF your car engine starts making a noise, do you blame it on the fact that the car has suspension?