Full suspension mtb squeaks and creaks.

MJ the Expat

You'll find that suspension bearings, despite being sealed and usually with washer/seals over them on the bolt side, eventually give up. Not all at the same time and those exposed to the elements eg FSR pivots out back or the main pivot near the BB take more punishment. Water is the enemy. My Enduro has just started creaking after 3 years  or so. I noticed it when I stood a pedaled first. Very minor creaking. I washed the bike 2 weeks ago and since then it has creaked far more noisily and not only when I stand to pedal. Just goes to show what water and washing does to a bike. I hate to think how many bikes get pressure washed into oblivion especially at marathon events...

Do yourself a favour.

Remove the rear wheel and the shock ... give move the linkage through it's motion feeling if the bearings are toast.

FSR type bikes with a failed bearing can see failure on the chain or non drive stays if a bearing has seized.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last few times my duallies made a noise was due to a failed freehub bearing and the bike before that due to a cracked frame

Do yourself a favour.

Remove the rear wheel and the shock ... give move the linkage through it's motion feeling if the bearings are toast.

FSR type bikes with a failed bearing can see failure on the chain or non drive stays if a bearing has seized.

Yes, this weekend will see me doing a bit of a strip down...

Last few times my duallies made a noise was due to a failed freehub bearing and the bike before that due to a cracked frame

Big boned rider issues Bwahahaha

You should be able to feel the freehub and wheel bearings grinding away if you allow it to free spin and then feel/touch/hold the seat stay. Normally it wouldnt reverb thru the seat stay

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Headset: This can even happen on a Road bike

stanchions: Could possibly happen on a hardtail and has no relation to a duallie

bb: Any bike can eventually get a noisy BB when worn out or a crappy press-fit installation.

seat post: Applicable to any bicycle, just simple maintenance

internal cables:  Applicable to any bicycle with internal cable housing, just simple maintenance

pivots: The only partially valid point in your whole post, and that is only from wear and tear or poor maintenance ... the same way any set of hubs can make a noise on any bicycle if not looked after

So just what are you complaining about again?

IF your car engine starts making a noise, do you blame it on the fact that the car has suspension?

6e67ec394bd583fb3038bdf1a957098d.jpg

When im bombing down a hill side or smashing sum gravel  i hear F@#$  all unless my mouth creaks when im smiling from ear to ear and up hill breathing to heavily or walking so no squeaks creaks on my bike.  :whistling:

I even get annoyed riding with people who's bike make a noise  :lol:  :lol:

currently doing my nutt in with Cura brakes that have developed a lazy piston. I know I need to the lube the pistons but have been too fixated on recovering fitness. Last night it got to the point where I was ready to remove the rotors and use my foot to brake!

Problem is with my noisy brakes I can't comment on my mates noisy creaking BB.... :(

currently doing my nutt in with Cura brakes that have developed a lazy piston. I know I need to the lube the pistons but have been too fixated on recovering fitness. Last night it got to the point where I was ready to remove the rotors and use my foot to brake!

Problem is with my noisy brakes I can't comment on my mates noisy creaking BB.... :(

just remind your "mate" that you are riding dragging your brakes so that he/she can keep up with you!

I dismantled the suspension on my Enduro on Saturday to inspect the bearings, or at least give them a turn to see if they were notchy yet. Interestingly, they seemed IMO to be almost all serviceable. The only bearings with significant lack of smoothness were the two on the main linkage pivot, i.e the ones where the main shock linkage pivots on the seat tube. 

I put the lack of noticeable wear down to better bearings and better sealing - each bearing has a top cap with a rubber seal in it. I still have some squeaking to deal with so I'll start with those worn bearings and try and eliminate the possible sources as I go along.