Cyclist over the edge of Chappies

olmec

Hi Guys.

So unfortunately cannot share VN's on here. He was riding with my mates group, they left Chappies about 2mins after us. In a nutshell, he overcooked the corner and went over the edge. His mates never saw it happen as the 1 was already through the overhanging section and the others hadn't left the top yet. They continued to roll down and stopped in Noordhoek waiting for him, they were confused as the 1st guy said he never came past and the others said they never went past him, while waiting He called them to tell them that he had gone over the edge and they must please come back, There was No car involved, this is from his and his mates mouths directly. Simple rider error. Only injured wrist and bike has a small scratch near the seat tube. Paramedics who rescued him said he was extremely lucky as he stopped on a flat section, 1 meter further he would've been completely over the cliffs edge. I have the VNs from my mate in their group if anyone wants them.

Looking at the size of that saddle bag ..... I think there was a cross wind involved [emoji6]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough on Chappies. Using the rough tar to stop was not ideal, but the thought of going over the edge is terrifying. I landed up in the wrong lane up against the barrier. 

99.9% of the time in this corner you'd be better off tucking the front and crashing before the wall that going over it I believe, he got very very lucky !

Apparently it was on the painted corner before the underpass? That corner takes no prisoners, seen a few close calls there as guys like to cut the corner on the yellow painted island. Two weeks ago there were a lot of runners coming up Chappies in the oncoming lane, I almost hit them on the island, and on New Years Day there was a car parked on that island. Be careful there...

Yes as far as I know it is this one corner, that is very very dodgy when you go down chappies for the first couple times.

Looking at the size of that saddle bag ..... I think there was a cross wind involved [emoji6]

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh and I think his "downhill KOM" will stand for quite some time LOL... He is now now to be renamed "Cliffy".

That is gps error. Look at the graph- was he doing other 200kmh from km 32-km50?

Hi Guys.

So unfortunately cannot share VN's on here. He was riding with my mates group, they left Chappies about 2mins after us. In a nutshell, he overcooked the corner and went over the edge. His mates never saw it happen as the 1 was already through the overhanging section and the others hadn't left the top yet. They continued to roll down and stopped in Noordhoek waiting for him, they were confused as the 1st guy said he never came past and the others said they never went past him, while waiting He called them to tell them that he had gone over the edge and they must please come back, There was No car involved, this is from his and his mates mouths directly. Simple rider error. Only injured wrist and bike has a small scratch near the seat tube. Paramedics who rescued him said he was extremely lucky as he stopped on a flat section, 1 meter further he would've been completely over the cliffs edge. I have the VNs from my mate in their group if anyone wants them.

I assume the bibs are a write off 

I assume the bibs are a write off

Maybe just needed a wash and some nice smelly stay soft?

Mine would have holes all over the back, and that wouldn't be from the fall.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

I was riding up Chappies from Noordhoek and had just come around that corner and he came flying past me. I saw him come around the previous corner, leaning the bike like Valentino Rossi, so he was sending it. A couple seconds later I heard what sounded like a pedal clipping the floor, but when I turned around there was nobody there. Only when I got home I saw that the guy had gone over the edge!

I was riding up Chappies from Noordhoek and had just come around that corner and he came flying past me. I saw him come around the previous corner, leaning the bike like Valentino Rossi, so he was sending it. A couple seconds later I heard what sounded like a pedal clipping the floor, but when I turned around there was nobody there. Only when I got home I saw that the guy had gone over the edge!

This is a safe space, unlike the descent of Chappies. You can admit you were doing a 5 min power test here.

A mate quipped... Roadies can't ride drops

Glad the rider is OK

Edited by Mamil

Before the work on Chappies we used to fly down towards Noordhoek.How we never went over amazes me.You have to really commit and trust the bike.

My son was flying down there about 6 years ago at sunrise and a car coming up cut the corner and all he could do was bail into the mountain side.Bike replacement and he was pretty beat up.

I hit the deck at about 55 odd km/h last year and broke a few bones in my hand/fingers and fractured my patela..... Lost a LOT of skin.

Funnily enough on Chappies. Using the rough tar to stop was not ideal, but the thought of going over the edge is terrifying. I landed up in the wrong lane up against the barrier. 

I have the descending yip so hard now. I get dropped every time the road points down

Stick to the dirt, it's far softer to land on.