Cyclist over the edge of Chappies

olmec

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO Cliffy White didn't beat the Benz......

<you need to go waaaay back to get this one>

Hiehie .... giving away our age  .....

That Beamer add ran once or twice before Merc had it canned .... still EVERYBODY knew of both adds for years.  BEST add campaign ever, for both parties.

When I read the topic I immediately knew exactly where it happened and seeing the picture confirmed.  That is a very tricky corner and almost went over on one of my first rides going towards Noordhoek as well.  Left a bite mark in my shorts but that bloody corner burnt a permanet image in my brain.  Glad the oak is ok.

SO Cliffy White didn't beat the Benz......

<you need to go waaaay back to get this one>

Woah.. I am conflicted now.... Chuffed that I remember that.. But sad.. Cause you know... age and all.

When I read the topic I immediately knew exactly where it happened and seeing the picture confirmed. That is a very tricky corner and almost went over on one of my first rides going towards Noordhoek as well. Left a bite mark in my shorts but that bloody corner burnt a permanet image in my brain. Glad the oak is ok.

Def sounds like a road I won't ever ride on a bike..

And yeah sjoe they guy has the cycling gods firmly on his side.

Woah.. I am conflicted now.... Chuffed that I remember that.. But sad.. Cause you know... age and all.

LIke a fine wine, you only get better with the passing of time....

This road really should be on every cyclists bucket list.

As with any mountain pass .... enjoy it .... BUT dont over cook it ....

Its a very easy corner to get wrong with a very small margin for error. Theres no value in trying to die there so I prefer toundercook it and enjoy the view 

When I read the topic I immediately knew exactly where it happened and seeing the picture confirmed.  That is a very tricky corner and almost went over on one of my first rides going towards Noordhoek as well.  Left a bite mark in my shorts but that bloody corner burnt a permanet image in my brain.  Glad the oak is ok.

I dont think he hit any trees

Hiehie .... giving away our age  .....

That Beamer add ran once or twice before Merc had it canned .... still EVERYBODY knew of both adds for years.  BEST add campaign ever, for both parties.

Merc actually ran a follow up ad a few years back where they had the original Merc driver in one of their brand new S-Classes demonstrating its "self drive" tech.

The amount of cyclists I see who clearly have no idea about the simplest little things like cornering with their inside foot down it's a surprise to me that this type of thing doesn't happen more often.

Don’t your mean the opposite , other wise you get peddle strike

Don’t your mean the opposite , other wise you get peddle strike

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

So a couple of years back, about 3/4 of our group started their descent down chappies, noordhoek side, about 20 seconds before me.

I having always considered myself to be an above average descender and hit the drops to catch them. At that very corner I could feel I was carrying to much speed and started to break before the corner causing my back wheel to lock. Handsfull of front and back brakes and panic all over my being, I release and braked, release and braked causing the bike to stop skidding but still hurtling towards the edge. I leant into the corner and heard someone shout that I must 'jump off' the bike. In the turn and me in a broadslide position my back tire came off the rim. How I managed to stay on the bike, let alone keep it upright was a miracle and by miracle, I mean in the biblical sense???????????? The bike and I came to a stand still up against the wall as if placed there for a photo shoot.

Called the wife to fetch me as I could not repair the back wheel, at least that's what I told the guys which was a lie. Truth is I was to traumatized to get back on and not even 2 goo's had enough sugar to calm the nerves.

Now when passing that bend I always give thanks for being able to ride my bike and have always wondered how many other cyclist have had close experiences on that bend.

Clearly I'm not alone.

Two corners in the deep south that give me mild panic when leading up to them.

This corner on Chappies, overthinking about the entry speed, where my apex is (come in to soon and hit the yellow paint and slip, too wide and drift onto the opposite lane and risk collision). Most of the time I brake way before and take a safe middle line approach at sensible speed.

Then the no camber left turn on Red Hill descent. Seen so many people panic taking too much speed into that corner and not able to maintain a line through the corner (even seen one guy shoot straight across and do some impromptu gravel biking down the other side).

Glad the outcome of this incident was mostly good, so many fine margins and it could have been so much worse.