Cyclist over the edge of Chappies

olmec

Literally impossible to be going 130km/h into that bend, Not on a motorbike or even in a car can you reach that speed. So perhaps Strava error or something else, But humanly impossible, especially considering there is a right hand bend about 50m before this one. Also the gradient isn't steep enough at all to even get close to that speed.

IRC correctly, Red Bull did a promo thing with an F1 car on chappies a few years ago. can't find the clip, but i suspect if trying hard enough, the driver could get into the corner @>130kmh. whether he'd get out is another story and would make an awesome youtube moment

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't have happened with a different brain :eek:

for the record, it was a joke

too funny all the okes commenting from out of town on how to ride that particular corner, especially since I bet most if not all of them have likely only ever ridden it from the opposite direction, if at all.

I didn't dare posting it, but I'm pretty sure you're right

too funny all the okes commenting from out of town on how to ride that particular corner, especially since I bet most if not all of them have likely only ever ridden it from the opposite direction, if at all.

:ph34r:

100% This is not one for racing - discretion is the better part of valour. or in my case, cowardice is the better part of discretion when it comes to this painted menace.

for the record, it was a joke

I didn't dare posting it, but I'm pretty sure you're right

:ph34r:

I've never been know to pull punches. Instead of being stoked that "Cliffy" lives to ride another day, an army of unqualified keyboard warriors will proclaim his stupidity after the fact.

No one commenting was there on the day, so really...

If it had been a corner in the opposite direction he would have been in oncoming traffic and potentially under a car/bus/truck. 

Just to add a little masala spice to this post, The cornet he went over was on the opposite side of the road, Misjudged the bend and went straight over the opposite side.

Now, reading all these comments about and not knowing himself etc, What if he had a front wheel blow out as he entered the cornered at say 40km/h for example, he then tried to brake but didn't have enough road to stop? Even the best bikehandlers would struggle to stay in the left lane, descending at speed on that gradient if they've just had a front wheel blow out.

What if he had a front wheel blow out 

This is what I suspect happened with my wife's Chappies crash (I wasn't there to see it).  She was between corners, perfect sunny dry day, and the tube had definitely exploded for reasons unknown.

Accidents happen.  Even if the guy was cornering like Rossi (as mentioned previously) something unexpected could have happened.  

Ouens, lets not get too jujgerag over this incident. Its very easy to overcook that corner. Into Noordhoek it tightens up as you exit. Theres enough grip to go in hot with lost of grip then the camber falls away slightly and the gradient drops to -11% for that corner. Couple that to the tightening up of the corner, inexperience and balls way bigger than most can handle .........you're on the opposite side of the road.

I had a similar close call yeeeeears ago. In my case a gust of wind participated. I had fast enough reflexes to lock the back brake and slide the back wheel to get the bike pointing more tightly. Since then I treat that corner with the utmost respect. Others have learned from my experience as will Cliffy White's tjommies and witnesses. Sometimes the momentary purpose of our lives is to serve as a beacon or warning for others. Cliffy will respect that corner far more now and he's now a legend. Anyone who goes over the edge on Chappies and lives, their name lives forever in history. 

Absolutely. I was there in March last on my roadie. We cycled out of muizenberg in a heavy wind up to the viewpoint then over redhill and back. I remember pushing but also staying in my lane and having to dab the brakes so that i didnt drift into the oncoming lane, there was a car some distance behind us. Once we took that right hander over looking long beach, we were full on in a head wind.

Quite easy to get over 40 and I am a slow rider!!

post-21957-0-59158300-1619087453_thumb.jpg

I haven't read all the arguments about whether he was going too fast or whether we should all be riding slower, but in flying we say that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing and if thereafter you can use the 'plane again, it was an excellent landing.

Based on this, as he walked away and the bike looks rideable, he rode the corner in excellent fashion and we should all commend him for his skill.

..... Once we took that right hander over looking long beach, we were full on in a head wind.

Quite easy to get over 40 and I am a slow rider!!

Of the Capetonians in this thread I probably have the least experience of this section of road - on a bicycle.

I have done the "pass", sorry J, coastal road, so many times on motorcycles and in cars.  As with any pass and coastal road, you get a nice rythm going ... and then a corner closes in that bit extra and it gets scary quickly .....

As for cycling this road.  Doing the normal CTCT direction I nearly cr@pped myself after the lookout point .... it was a PERFECT day !!  Coming around the corner a GUST of wind nearly dumped me in the pond !!  :eek:   Next section to the toll booth I stayed in the middle of the road !!  (thankfully it was a week day, and I was not holding up any cars)

After coffee I cycled back to Noordhoek .... wind impact totally different, and at different spots.

The locals probably knows what to expect, and where to expect it.  For a first timer it was downright scary !  :ph34r:

As for exceeding 40km/h .... many many spots were this can be done easily on a big bulky MTB, so it must be super easy on a road bike.

Whatever the reason or cause, GLAD "Cliffie" had a safe landing.   :thumbup:   He surely has a braai-story few can rival .... 

Fantastic that Cliffie got off lightly from this one.

It's mentioned previously, that the corner "tightens up".

That is the key to most people overcooking a corner, no matter the vehicle.

I've never been know to pull punches. Instead of being stoked that "Cliffy" lives to ride another day, an army of unqualified keyboard warriors will proclaim his stupidity after the fact.

No one commenting was there on the day, so really...

Lol...I have almost come short on that corner.You cannot sit up even the slightest and you are on the other side of the road.You gotta go for it if you like fast

I must say there are some tiny flying creatures in Cape Town that if they end up in your eye they burn like blazes and you cant stop fast enough to get them out.

Like what exactly?

Lightening strike?

Bug flew into his eye?

A dolphin jumped out of the sea and bumped him?

He saw the ghost of a Texas ladies' man

I must say there are some tiny flying creatures in Cape Town that if they end up in your eye they burn like blazes and you cant stop fast enough to get them out.

I was hoping someone would pick up my reference to a Concrete Blond song. Ghost of a Texas ladies man.