Bikes are great clothes hangers

FirstV8

there's something worse than riding past an oke with stale sweat smelling clothing. Riding past an oke who smells like he fell into a pool of eau de cologne. Jeez that smell gets into the back of your throat and sticks there. Never understood why people bath in perfume before a sweaty ride.

Interesting how ppl selectively nitpic certain points to reply to.

If you say so.

Again, take a smell once you've hung up your kit for a day or 2 and reasssess your preconceived notions.

You'd honestly be hard pressed to smell any dodgey odor if it was hung up properly post last ride at least one time. 

If you think that in 35 years of riding almost daily I haven't tried it all, you are sadly mistaken.

TBH since I been racing at 6 y/o I just copied my toppie and chucked the kit into the wash after a ride regardless of how long or hot it was. Never even really thought about re using kit tbh. Come to think of it, last time I raced kremetart I changed kit between stages. Think I didn't change before the last stage though. I got enough kit that I don't need to worry about running out if the wife doesn't wash it fast enough. But I don't think I would re wear stuff, bibs especially. My sack and crack get really sweaty.

Yeah, I'm not wearing any kit twice, not even after a 30mins ride. I sweat like a pig. 

New sweat doesn't smell, old sweat does - really bad. I have re-used hung up and dried exercise shirts before in a pinch, I wanted to kots from the smell after spending 10mins in that shirt, and the longer you spend in it, the worse the smell gets. Never again.

Damp clothes stuffed in a small space (i.e. even a washing basket) will be a great way for optimal smelly bacterial growth.

BTW, a pro tip for you, hang your sweaty stuff up to dry and then stick it in the wash basket.

For those bemoaning the water issue, just because you put your dirty clothes in the wash after each ride, doesn't mean you need to actually do a wash after each ride, you can accumulate dirty clothes until you do a full laundry load.

Lol...I wear kit twice...especially in winter...I dont sweat that much unless its a 2pm mid summer ride and if I have sweated considerably, then it goes in the wash, straight away....My MTB baggies (shell only) gets worn several times...

Im not made of money so I cant afford to buy new gear every year...

I still have my crappy Mr Price bike shirt from 2011.....Its actually sun rotting but I wear it! I think that set me back about R100 then!

Im not there for showing off expensive and fancy kit....

And as TNT mentioned...even if you dont re-wear your kit....let it dry if you are not going to wash straight away...Makes a huge difference....

Yep, almost never wear the same kit only once.

It's irresponsible and unnecessary in a water scarce planet and especially country.

Hang it up, air it out (whether in the house or in the garage draped over bikes) and re-use, at least twice IMO. The old sniff test works wonders and besides, 10min into a ride you wont notice anyway.

No, this is sif, particularly as far as the bibs are concerned. Even If i just ride around the block, everything gets put into the machine immediately.

No, this is sif, particularly as far as the bibs are concerned. Even If i just ride around the block, everything gets put into the machine immediately.

Couldn't disagree more. But then again, perhaps some are more conditioned than others to want to smell things even if they are not there.

But yes, bib lowers would be the worst. Luckily I am bibless the vast majority of the time.

HAHAHA

This is gold.

I am a pilchard at the best of times, but won't wear the same exercise kit twice. No matter what anyone says, it smells. 

This coming from a guy who is about to wear the same clothes for 3 days straight at a running race.

The thing I've noticed like on an expedition AR, we have to wear our race bib on the outside for the whole race. Thats over our rain jacket, over our shirt etc 24 hours a day. While out on the race, you don't really notice that you stink. Ones nose definitely becomes accustomed to ones own body odours.

I am always astounded at how badly my bib and backpack absolutely honk at the end of it all.

It's like Farts.... one seldom notices how badly ones own brand stinks

there's something worse than riding past an oke with stale sweat smelling clothing. Riding past an oke who smells like he fell into a pool of eau de cologne. Jeez that smell gets into the back of your throat and sticks there. Never understood why people bath in perfume before a sweaty ride.

Its just misdirected toilet spray

Lots of metro-men here lol. You lot need to hang out on building sites more...you’ll wear your cycling kit a few times over once you realise you actually smell like roses sweating out your privileged middle class diets doing dome mild to moderate cardio haha

Edited by MORNE

Lots of metro-men here lol. You lot need to hang out on building sites more...you’ll wear your cycling kit a few times over once you realise you actually smell like roses sweating out your privileged middle class diets doing dome mild to moderate cardio haha

I spend most of my days frequenting construction sites.

Even in darkest Moz have I yet to come across the pong of two day old cycling kit

there are other (and better ways) to save water...  getting rid of your lawn and swimming pool would be a good start along with a list of around 50 more do-able and practical things that I can think of right now...  but please let us all just calm down and wash them nasty old crack-sweat infested bibs

Yep, almost never wear the same kit only once. 

It's irresponsible and unnecessary in a water scarce planet and especially country.

Hang it up, air it out (whether in the house or in the garage draped over bikes) and re-use, at least twice IMO. The old sniff test works wonders and besides, 10min into a ride you wont notice anyway.