"ROOF RY" PIRATE RIDING "RACE JOINERS'

Cardinal Richelieu

Hi Guys

What is your views on persons that don't want to enter events but joins the event just after the start and bypass the finish line or even better finishes off in the finishing area and want all of the chill zone benefits.

Was recently part of a event with 68 riders where we had 2 pirate rides and they feel they did nothing wrong and that it is a free country where they can do what they want.

The event was between 2 coastal towns this was on a route that was created by the race organizers where farmers permission was required.

Regards

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at Tour Durban start a few years back. One club had many pirate riders in the start pens. Race organizers kicked them out and announced the whole club was banned from the race for good. Don't know if you can ban a whole club, but they said that. Zero sympathy from fellow riders.

Hi Guys

What is your views on persons that don't want to enter events but joins the event just after the start and bypass the finish line or even better finishes off in the finishing area and want all of the chill zone benefits.

Was recently part of a event with 68 riders where we had 2 pirate rides and they feel they did nothing wrong and that it is a free country where they can do what they want.

The event was between 2 coastal towns this was on a route that was created by the race organizers where farmers permission was required.

Regards

Humans are deuterostomes.That means that when they develop in the womb the anus forms before any other opening . This means that at one point a human is nothing but an asshole . Some people never develop beyond this stage 

Hi Guys

Regards

That's thinly veiled theft, isn't it ?

This part: 'they feel they did nothing wrong and that it is a free country where they can do what they want.'

I wonder how they would feel if things were reversed and people helped themselves to their bikes and kit while they were chilling the chill zones ?

I mean, its a free country after all...

It's wrong, no way around it. 

2 scenarios though:

1. On public roads that are not closed off - they are technically right that they can do what they want in terms of riding there. Doesn't make them less of a box, but I guess you can't fault them from a legal perspective. I assume if the public roads are closed specifically there may be a case against them - I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what that is. The chill zone, that's plain old theft. 

2. Where the race passes through private property - someone that is not part of the event is trespassing. Simple as that...

Either way, box. 

I rode a Belgian sportif event a few years ago (with a few thousand riders) - the organisers had set up a little checkpoint after 100km's where they diverted anyone who hadn't entered the event down a road that would deliver them into the middle of nowhere with no easy way to backtrack or to rejoin the course. 

This doesn't help you at all, but maybe it helps you feel a bit better that you're not alone.

What is the legality of posting their photo on the wall in the lbs? Free country and all.

It's wrong, no way around it. 

2 scenarios though:

1. On public roads that are not closed off - they are technically right that they can do what they want in terms of riding there. Doesn't make them less of a box, but I guess you can't fault them from a legal perspective. I assume if the public roads are closed specifically there may be a case against them - I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what that is. The chill zone, that's plain old theft. 

2. Where the race passes through private property - someone that is not part of the event is trespassing. Simple as that...

Either way, box. 

even on public roads, they have no business joining the group. If they cause an accident resulting in injury they would need to be removed to medical care at the events expense....

remember the Willie episode from years ago at the CTCT.

even on public roads, they have no business joining the group. If they cause an accident resulting in injury they would need to be removed to medical care at the events expense....

remember the Willie episode from years ago at the CTCT.

Agree 100%. I am just not sure if you can legally stop them from doing it (on open public roads that an event uses). 

I think that the Cardinal was more referring to the use of the race facilities on a stage race (MTB ?) rather than sharing the road with these miscreants.

Agree 100%. I am just not sure if you can legally stop them from doing it (on open public roads that an event uses). 

The reverse does apply. I entered Shova a few years ago, had problems with my son and rode back down Fox hill, the broom wagon passed me. I then wanted to ride back to the race and join in. Cops were insistent, since the broom wagon had passed I could not ride the route as I had officially entered the race, the race is over once the last rider passes. I would end up in the back of the van if I did.