Scam or not

bierblik

Like to hear your thoughts, scam or not? Looks a lot like the "I'm in Ghana but the bike is for my brother...etc". Except he wants to use bike hub pay. So I guess the real question is, how does bike hub pay safeguard me from being scammed in this instance?

"Hello I am actually in dubai But I have a person whome I know in Durban you can courier it to him and he will pay the cash using bike hub pay method since I am shipping it through sea is it possible to get a bicycle specific package from a local bike shop and pack it and send so that it doesn’t get damaged in the sea shipping. I tried getting a package in Durban but couldn’t find any please only if it’s packed the bike can be transported"

If you have doubts, then back out.

If you really still keen, check how long they user/member of bikehub.

What the user history on past sales, if any.

If fairly new user, less than 6 months I will be more suspicious.

Interesting twist to the usual storyline...

I haven't used bikehub pay but it seems like a safe option for both parties.*

*if used as intended

Edited by Thomo

Looks like he wants to pay after you ship it.

“ you can courier it to him and he will pay the cash using bike hub pay method”

Which is the whole purpose of Hub Pay ...

1. Pay to Hub Pay

2. Payment con firmed

3. Courier goods, WITH tracking

4. Tracking confirms delivery

5. Short period to inspect goods

6. Money is transfered to seller.

No risk to either party.

Which is the whole purpose of Hub Pay ...

1. Pay to Hub Pay

2. Payment con firmed

3. Courier goods, WITH tracking

4. Tracking confirms delivery

5. Short period to inspect goods

6. Money is transfered to seller.

No risk to either party.

I know. I use the platform. Read my post again.

The bike needs to be shipped first. Then paid. He uses bikehub pay to create credibility in the transaction.

Like to hear your thoughts, scam or not? Looks a lot like the "I'm in Ghana but the bike is for my brother...etc". Except he wants to use bike hub pay. So I guess the real question is, how does bike hub pay safeguard me from being scammed in this instance?

"Hello I am actually in dubai But I have a person whome I know in Durban you can courier it to him and he will pay the cash using bike hub pay method since I am shipping it through sea is it possible to get a bicycle specific package from a local bike shop and pack it and send so that it doesn’t get damaged in the sea shipping. I tried getting a package in Durban but couldn’t find any please only if it’s packed the bike can be transported"

SCAM 

I know. I use the platform. Read my post again.

The bike needs to be shipped first. Then paid. He uses bikehub pay to create credibility in the transaction.

We both saying the same ...

Pay FIRST ..., then the rest of the Hub Pay steps.

Seems this buyers either dont get this, or has other plans .... and thus the possibility of a scam.

BUT ... if the buyer wants tu use Hub Pay, maybe just explain the steps to him

Bikebub pay is secure, a scammer will likely try to change the terms and find some excuse why he then can't use it. This sounds like a scammer.

Morning all, I know someone who got that exact same message, the Dubai story. The buyer had a user name shakti something.

If you copy and pasted the message I would definitely say that raises a number of red flags, the grammar and spelling is terrible, usually a clear sign to steer well clear. Pretty sure the bikehub pay, as suggested by others, will be a bait and switch tactic. This sets off many alarm bells.

So just an update. After sending him an alarming number of messages and questions he has "accepted the offer and paid" apparently. I guess I'm supposed to expect a message from Bike hub that there's a payment for me and I can continue with the shipment.

But yes all indications are that this is still a scam. Even if the proposed payment method was bike hub pay, he would've fallen short in the end, and I'd be safe

Morning all, I know someone who got that exact same message, the Dubai story. The buyer had a user name shakti something.

That could have been me, I have reported it multiple times, but the account was still active. I just told him once the bank verifies the funds, I will then release the bike to the first person at my door. He agreed to do payment the following day, have not heard of him since.