Scam or not

bierblik

So just an update. After sending him an alarming number of messages and questions he has "accepted the offer and paid" apparently. I guess I'm supposed to expect a message from Bike hub that there's a payment for me and I can continue with the shipment.

But yes all indications are that this is still a scam. Even if the proposed payment method was bike hub pay, he would've fallen short in the end, and I'd be safe

Please keep us updated. Hopefully they don't find a way around bikehub pay.

I see the account is still active. What is the point of reporting if nothing gets done.

Click on his profile and see when it was first registered by bike hub ?

I have the same issue now with a guy from dubai but knows someone in durban and wants to use bikehub pay? Also wants to have the bike sent and inspect upon arriving and then release the funds

Click on his profile and see when it was first registered by bike hub ?

June 2020, he is definitely up to no good. I see someone left him a scammers rating.

Geez are we finally seeing a change of the generic "Oilrig" text to something a bit more specific? Pity they had to drag Durban into this. 

Hi all, 

We have had a number of reports regarding this user and suspicious sounding requests.

Although I understand the caution, and it's well placed online, we've had no reason to believe this user is a scammer when reviewing the recent reports. 

Since launching Bike Hub Pay we have had a number of enquiries from foreign buyers in Jordan, Qatar, UAE, Germany and Denmark. Some private buyers simply wanting something they cannot get in their local markets and a smaller number of resellers in the UAE and surrounds.

International deals via Bike Hub Pay are more complex though and as such it's not something we're openly recommending just yet. The major stumbling block is the shipping times and risks around further delays in the unlikely case of a return.

In a local deal shipping usually takes no more than 3-4 days, but for international sales it's likely 2-4 weeks. Given the way Bike Hub Pay functions where the seller receives payout once the buyer has the item it's understandably not a route many sellers want to go if there may be a long delay.

Earlier this year we had a similar deal go through with a buyer in Jordan, however the buyer agreed to release payment once the bike was delivered to a depot in Joburg. For the moment this is the safest (and quickest) way to handle an international deal via Bike Hub Pay - the buyer will accept the deal once the bike is delivered to their local contact.

We will take a closer look at this user, but if the deal is done via Bike Hub Pay as suggested above and you only ship the bike once WE confirm payment is secure there's no risk to you as the seller.

Hi all, 

We have had a number of reports regarding this user and suspicious sounding requests.

Although I understand the caution, and it's well placed online, we've had no reason to believe this user is a scammer when reviewing the recent reports. 

Since launching Bike Hub Pay we have had a number of enquiries from foreign buyers in Jordan, Qatar, UAE, Germany and Denmark. Some private buyers simply wanting something they cannot get in their local markets and a smaller number of resellers in the UAE and surrounds.

International deals via Bike Hub Pay are more complex though and as such it's not something we're openly recommending just yet. The major stumbling block is the shipping times and risks around further delays in the unlikely case of a return.

In a local deal shipping usually takes no more than 3-4 days, but for international sales it's likely 2-4 weeks. Given the way Bike Hub Pay functions where the seller receives payout once the buyer has the item it's understandably not a route many sellers want to go if there may be a long delay.

Earlier this year we had a similar deal go through with a buyer in Jordan, however the buyer agreed to release payment once the bike was delivered to a depot in Joburg. For the moment this is the safest (and quickest) way to handle an international deal via Bike Hub Pay - the buyer will accept the deal once the bike is delivered to their local contact.

We will take a closer look at this user, but if the deal is done via Bike Hub Pay as suggested above and you only ship the bike once WE confirm payment is secure there's no risk to you as the seller.

I do understand all of the above, the red flag though, when I agreed to do the transaction, the moment I mentioned that I will get my bank to verify, the reply was sure and the he ghosted me. 

Hi all,

Matt, what happens if the seller ships the bike to a local agent / depot and then the buyer claims they never received it and hence want their money back from Bike Hub Pay ?

Matt, what happens if the seller ships the bike to a local agent / depot and then the buyer claims they never received it and hence want their money back from Bike Hub Pay ?

Especially since courier companies don't insure second hand goods. I know Courier Guy doesn't

I do understand all of the above, the red flag though, when I agreed to do the transaction, the moment I mentioned that I will get my bank to verify, the reply was sure and the he ghosted me. 

That is a red flag, as mentioned we will take a deeper look into this particular user. 

In a case like this we'll defer to the courier tracking. If the courier confirms that the item was delivered to the address specified by the buyer we'd regard the deal as accepted and proceed with payout.

That is a red flag, as mentioned we will take a deeper look into this particular user.

In a case like this we'll defer to the courier tracking. If the courier confirms that the item was delivered to the address specified by the buyer we'd regard the deal as accepted and proceed with payout.

I think the crux of the matter is that a scammer will never actually hand over cash to another party with the intent on getting the item and his cash back.

So once Bike Hub can 100% confirm that the money is irrefutably in their account, it's probably a legit deal.

BUT these scammers are sharp and clever and I wouldn't put it past them to try something. But for sure they'll always opt for the easier scam.