Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty..........you know I LOVE your events and have done 12 Carnival City races in my life.

But on a practical side.......................
Not risking my R500 as non-refundable amount.

1. Covid dictates and there is a 99.5% chance of the event cancelling 
  2. I place my R500 on the line for 9 other dudes to have a secure entry and then last minute they cancel leaving me out of pocket

I'll rather wait until someone invites me as part of their team.

7 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Frosty..........you know I LOVE your events and have done 12 Carnival City races in my life.

But on a practical side.......................
Not risking my R500 as non-refundable amount.

1. Covid dictates and there is a 99.5% chance of the event cancelling 
  2. I place my R500 on the line for 9 other dudes to have a secure entry and then last minute they cancel leaving me out of pocket

I'll rather wait until someone invites me as part of their team.

I hear you and would feel the same with regards to 9 others leaving me out of pocket. Why not ask for a R50 “deposit” from each one that thinks they’ll do it. (you get their semi-commitment, and only stand to lose R50). They then each pay you R450 just before entries close. 

That said, if the event is cancelled, you have the option to roll the R500 to next year’s event. 

It’s hard for us too, as we have to do everything to get the event ready, and (1) hope we get entries, and (2) hope the next wave doesn’t affect the event. That’s one reason we’ve gone with the DC-type event… limit the group sizes to a manageable limit, year still have some good, hard racing.

Hopefully the last minute rush happens in October, and people have time to think about doing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The BLUEPRINT FOR COVID 19 RISK MITIGATION PLANNING AND IMPLIMENTATION STRATEGIES OF MASS PARTICIPATION EVENTS released by CyclingSA has been released, or at least we received a copy today.

Our event has less than 2500 participants, so a negative test before the event is not required, neither is being vaccinated (although it is recommended).
Have a read through the Blue Print, and know that we have a lot of the details ticked off.

BLUE PRINT FOR COVID 19 RISK MITIGATION PLANNING AND IMPLIMENTATION STRATEGIES - MASS PARTICIPATION FINAL.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This time next week we hope to have legs up, with a beer in hand, to do it all again the next day.

So happy that we have a race, and that cyclists have some racing to go to.

Long term weather looks promising too… not too hot, rain in the week leading up to a mild spring morning on both days, with a fickle breeze.

• 2 weeks later...

A successful event held yesterday (100Km) and today (160). Minimal mechanicals, no crashes, and lots of fun had by all.

Numbers we’re low, but we all enjoyed the alternative format of racing. We’ll be back in 2022 with a few tweaks and improvements.

• 8 months later...

Hi @Frosty,

I'm seeing some conflicting messaging, is the event returning to non-team event or will we still have the TTT?

16 minutes ago, Roul said:

Hi @Frosty,

I'm seeing some conflicting messaging, is the event returning to non-team event or will we still have the TTT?

Nothing conflicting.

This is the thread for the 2021 event, which was a Team TT because of unknown times with events due to covid regulations.

2022 is a return to a normal mass participation event, and details have been updated on our website accordingly. Almost everything is done i.t.o. getting ready to open online entries; we had a few challenges with some service providers, unable to assist due to the impact of covid on their business. A real shame.