Leaving Thule ProRides on car?

Butterbean

Just wanted some feedback from those with more experience - i recently popped some roof racks and thule pro rides on top of the car, so that when we tow we can still carry bikes.

I'm aware of all the hassles that can come with roof mounted carriers, but one thing im not sure of is -

A) leaving the racks on the car? I know the thule locks are just for display really, so are these like an oft stolen item?

B) the wheel chocks are a slide off system - is it safe to leave these on?

Thanks!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted some feedback from those with more experience - i recently popped some roof racks and thule pro rides on top of the car, so that when we tow we can still carry bikes.

I'm aware of all the hassles that can come with roof mounted carriers, but one thing im not sure of is -

A) leaving the racks on the car? I know the thule locks are just for display really, so are these like an oft stolen item?

Thanks!

A) yes

B) No

I've lost a wheel chock before. I know of racks stolen off of cars. 

Plus the aerodynamic drag not only made more wind noise but increased fuel consumption.

But, the convenience of having them on all the time is awesome.

its a personal choice

a have 2 on my car

the wind noise is ***

but i dont want to fit racks on roof whenever i want to ride

so i leave mine on

the rack isnt that easy to take off

never thought of the wheel chocks to be honest

Complete racks are stolen off cars including the load bars. This during events or while parked to go out riding. 

Not practical to remove it before a ride or event but the risk is there. 

My advice.... make sure the setup is insured. 

I leave my thule racks on my car, but I insured them as well as my roof racks. Been doing it nearly 4 years now without incident. 

Way too much of a schlep to fit and remove them the whole time and storage space for them at my place is also too limited.

Wheels chocks get stolen off often, slide them off its a 30sec hassle but to replace 2 chocks is around R700

Complete racks are stolen off cars including the load bars. This during events or while parked to go out riding. 

My advice.... make sure the setup is insured

This.

School fees with regard to this is very bitter.

My complete setup was removed and reposessed off my car in less than 10 minutes in a busy parkinglot with supposed carguards (not that a guy in a reflective vest means anything anywhere ever)

I'm still farked off about it, and have not been back to the establishment for this reason (another hubber's racks were stolen in the same parkinglot.)

Edit, these were uninsured. but the set I replaced them with has now been insured. 

Edit again: I drive out to ride almost every weekend, sometimes more, If I had to fit and remove the setup everytime, I'd probably give up cycling.

Edited by RocknRolla

This.

School fees with regard to this is very bitter.

My complete setup was removed and reposessed off my car in less than 10 minutes in a busy parkinglot with supposed carguards (not that a guy in a reflective vest means anything anywhere ever)

I'm still farked off about it, and have not been back to the establishment for this reason (another hubber's racks were stolen in the same parkinglot.)

Edit, these were uninsured. but the set I replaced them with has now been insured. 

Those thieves really got their slice of the pie.... buggers

Edited by Steady Spin

My advice.... make sure the setup is insured. 

Happened to me after having my racks/pro-rides on various vehicles untouched for over 9 years.

Fortunately insurance paid out for new racks/pro-rides and I got myself the Thule Euroway.

I leave them on my car (x3). Just leave the wheel chocks on the one rack I use a couple of times a week, the other chocks I remove and throw behind my back seats. 

Not too much hassle if you have to remove every now and then, but a pain to do daily. So I run the risk of one set being stolen, but I recon that's a risk worth taking. The effort it has saved me over the lifetime of the racks is worth more than what a new set would cost. 

Thanks fellas,

Yeah the racks and bike carriers are insured for sure... I'll take the wheel chocks off as thats a quick job... 700 bucks a pop doesn't sound like something i want to do often!

Thanks!

I'd be more concerned about the increase you will have in fuel consumption by leaving those on your roof all the time. Petrol is *** expensive.

I'd be more concerned about the increase you will have in fuel consumption by leaving those on your roof all the time. Petrol is *** expensive.

my average fuel consumption went up from 6.4l/100km to about 6.9l/100km. so not a biggie

Does the sun damage them? And what parts should be checked for damage? Both sun and normal use.