Leaving Thule ProRides on car?

Butterbean

Thanks fellas,

Yeah the racks and bike carriers are insured for sure... I'll take the wheel chocks off as thats a quick job... 700 bucks a pop doesn't sound like something i want to do often!

Just be warned, taking the chocks off and on often wears them and that end plug thing out. I know because mine now are loose and the chock can rattle off with no bike on. My chocks didn't come off so lekker with that end plug in so I would remove both. I have now made a plan with the plug so it is vas again and I don't leave the racks on when not in use.

EDIT: I drive a bakkie and I have an armadillo on the back so just leave the racks in the back unless I need the load bin space for other stuff.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my average fuel consumption went up from 6.4l/100km to about 6.9l/100km. so not a biggie

on my volvo V40 it was exactly 1l/km higher.

Does the sun damage them? And what parts should be checked for damage? Both sun and normal use.

the plastic bits are probably the most vulnerable, but other than some fading I never saw anything to worry about

Does the sun damage them? And what parts should be checked for damage? Both sun and normal use.

Surprisingly no. But I would say that little ribbed strap thing that secures the wheel to the chock should be checked. Those I never left on without a bike on though so mine never saw sun but all the other parts held up well.

Never had any issues in over 9 years.

I see Thule no-longer put the key number on the lock. Did the visible number contribute to the theft of racks and bikes? Or is the lock just broken and items are removed?

Edited by Barry

my average fuel consumption went up from 6.4l/100km to about 6.9l/100km. so not a biggie

If my calculation is correct (possibly debatable) then that equates to R1500 per year if you were to drive 20,000km. Mine stay on for the convenience factor over a Securi-Lid on a bakkie so I suspect they will have a smaller impact being behind the cab.

If my calculation is correct (possibly debatable) then that equates to R1500 per year if you were to drive 20,000km. Mine stay on for the convenience factor over a Securi-Lid on a bakkie so I suspect they will have a smaller impact being behind the cab.

I think my heavy foot and all the stop/go to work is a bigger influence on my fuel economy than my roof racks / thule racks. I drove up to the Northern Cape easer weekend, and I got 6.2km/l on the open road (the racks were empty though).

My racks stay on, purely due to convenience. We mostly start riding before sunrise, so I dont want to fumble in the dark fitting my racks before I drive to the trailhead

On the RAV4 the impact on fuel consumption was minimal.

Then again, the RAV4 was never particularly light on fuel.

WITH the bikes on I drove maybe 5km/h slower to get the same fuel consumption.

With the bikes off I did not notice any particular difference.  In fairness, the RAV was not often used during the week, and mostly had the bikes on during the weekend ....

I think the older tech engines tolerate these rack better.  The modern super efficient motors may well be thirstier with the racks mounted.

On the RAV4 the impact on fuel consumption was minimal.

Then again, the RAV4 was never particularly light on fuel.

WITH the bikes on I drove maybe 5km/h slower to get the same fuel consumption.

With the bikes off I did not notice any particular difference.  In fairness, the RAV was not often used during the week, and mostly had the bikes on during the weekend ....

I think the older tech engines tolerate these rack better.  The modern super efficient motors may well be thirstier with the racks mounted.

I think its more about aerodynamics. Modern cars are much more aero and any extra stuff sticking out affects it much more.

I see Thule no-longer put the key number on the lock. Did the visible number contribute to the theft of racks and bikes? Or is the lock just broken and items are removed?

They scratched my roof rails of the car when removing the racks. If they had a key, it was not used.

My roof racks were jimmied off the van, so I believe that if they had master keys to the Pro-Rides/Roof Racks, there would have been no damage to my Van, which of course, there was.

Mine are in the sun at work and outside at night. Has been for 4 years - no damage from the sun, cold, rain, etc.

My roof racks were jimmied off the van, so I believe that if they had master keys to the Pro-Rides/Roof Racks, there would have been no damage to my Van, which of course, there was.

My setup cost me 15k and i paint a target by not removing them. But as said above it is a major undertaking to remove and replace when you need them.