Scott 17 Addict 20

Brian C.

I purchased a brand new Scott 17 Addict 20 Dec 2020, after riding the bike for around three weeks  a spoke broke in the rear wheel

Scotts response a spoke braking so soon is possible a "material fault on the spoke"

New spoke fitted .

Three rides later the rim in the same rear wheel started to split around the spokes.

Scott fitted a new rim.

Two rids later with the new rim fitted another broken spoke.

I am now waiting for Scott to fit new wheels.

By the time I get the new wheels fitted the bike has spent 5 weeks in my garage collect dust.

I am very frustrated spending a lot of money on a new bike and it is problem after problem

I am looking for help please

Has anybody else experienced these type of problems on a new bike?

What can I do do to overcome these problems ?

Brian welcome to the Hub.

These things happen.  Sadly so.

Bad service .... sadly all too common !!  :cursing:

On my Scott Spark MTB a spoke broke after about 6 months.  I did not even think of taking it to the dealer.  Took it to a trusted bike workshop.  Later that afternoon I had my bike back.  Granted it cost me a few rand, but no hassles nor down time ...

About 6 weeks later another spoke broke on the same wheel.  I chatted with the bike shop .... we decided to replace this spoke and monitor the situation.  IF more broke we would do a rebuild with all new spokes.

Again a few rand, but also no down time.

During the next year the wheel held up and no further issues were had.

If you let us know where you stay, the Hubbers can point you to the GOOD workshops in your area.

My opinion, I always start a statement saying this so that no one can try to quote what I say as gospel or that I know my sh!t (because I know just enough about something to get myself into trouble  :clap:).

Manufacturers almost always skimp on one or a few parts on a new bike to reduce costs. You will find that those wheels are most probably some factory wheels and are not really worth much if you decide to sell them. But again, this is just my opinion  :whistling:

My opinion, I always start a statement saying this so that no one can try to quote what I say as gospel or that I know my **** (because I know just enough about something to get myself into trouble  :clap:).

Manufacturers almost always skimp on one or a few parts on a new bike to reduce costs. You will find that those wheels are most probably some factory wheels and are not really worth much if you decide to sell them. But again, this is just my opinion  :whistling:

JIP !!

Having paid those school fees, I learnt the expensive way why some bikes are "entry level" ....

That said, a quick google shows this aint no entry level bike.  OR, is this a truly top end frame with crap components to balance the price point .....  In this price range I understand the OP's frustrations.

Not ideal. Ask them if they have a set of wheels to lend you whilst you are waiting for replacement wheels.

I had a similar situation a number of years back and the bike shop lent me a wheel to use whilst mine were being repaired.

Not ideal. Ask them if they have a set of wheels to lend you whilst you are waiting for replacement wheels.

I had a similar situation a number of years back and the bike shop lent me a wheel to use whilst mine were being repaired.

Thank you for your comment

On my Scott Spark MTB a spoke broke after about 6 months.  I did not even think of taking it to the dealer.  Took it to a trusted bike workshop.  Later that afternoon I had my bike back.  Granted it cost me a few rand, but no hassles nor down time ...

About 6 weeks later another spoke broke on the same wheel.  I chatted with the bike shop .... we decided to replace this spoke and monitor the situation.  IF more broke we would do a rebuild with all new spokes.

If you let us know where you stay, the Hubbers can point you to the GOOD workshops in your area.

Thank you for your feedback, I live in Fish Hoek

lose weight  :ph34r: 

(disclaimer - this hub is frequented by sarcasm, hence the comic sans font, which means whatever is said using this font was made in jest and thus not to be taken seriously)