JKMTB_

Hi all!

I recently bought a new bike and thus have no money left for anything else! However, I am in need of a new cycling computer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me.

I am a Mountain biker who would like to be able to share rides on Strava and have a budget of R1000 if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Hi all!

I recently bought a new bike and thus have no money left for anything else! However, I am in need of a new cycling computer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me.

I am a Mountain biker who would like to be able to share rides on Strava and have a budget of R1000 if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Xoss G+ from your LBS, if they have an Omnico account.

Allows you to sync HR & Cadence if you have those additional sensors.

You can get a Giant Neos GPS for around R1400. You won't find a cheaper GPS. There are some things missing like linking to power meters and cadence meters but if you're lokking to link to those types of devices you'll shopping in a whole other market.

I’d say strava on mobile for now, it can connect to your hr monitor too just make sure you have some battery. Save your pennies then buy a Garmin Edge 520 on the hub, they do pop up for R2500 every now and again or you can buy mine for that when you have the cash!

spend your R1000 on a HR strap (a bluetooth one, not an ANT+ only) and use strava on your phone man, it's gonna work well, and the day you want a real cycling computer or fitness watch your initial R1000 won't be lost !

Edited by Jbr

Agree with the suggestions

- strava on phone

- hrm

But you can also get a cheap basic non gps bike computer. You cn get one for r150-200. This way you can also see some basic data like speed while you ride

Polar h7 or h10 hrm with polar beat/flow app. You dont need anything else but they do sync with strava as well as discovery. I dont have s strava premium account but keep the app on my phone to see what my personal bests were/are since it draws the infow strait from the polar apps.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Really appreciate it. I'll use my phone for now.

What would you all recommend I save for? I'll keep an eye out for a Garmin Edge 520 but what else should I check out?

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice everyone. Really appreciate it. I'll use my phone for now.

What would you all recommend I save for? I'll keep an eye out for a Garmin Edge 520 but what else should I check out?

Thanks again

The computer should match YOUR use.

The Garmin 130 is perfect for recording most of the stats.

The larger units are needed when you want to use the unit for navigation ...

If it is for recording your stats .... get a watch that can pair with a hart rate strap.

Perfect for recording your rides, and the rest of your activities.

If it is for recording your stats .... get a watch that can pair with a hart rate strap.

Perfect for recording your rides, and the rest of your activities.

Totes agree with this!!

I fortunately have an Apple Watch, which measures my heart rate during my ride. I start the Strava "outdoor ride" when I start my ride, and carry my phone in my saddle bag / backpack. From this data I have everything I need to know where I am in my training/fitness/intensity

Although I'd love to own a power meter, or Garmin front mount computer thingie, I cannot (at my level) justify the expense, and find that my apple watch gives me as much information and data that I need... And as an added bonus, it also tells the time ;)

What would you all recommend I save for? 

Maybe a better option is a cheaper end Fitbit, or similar wearable watch that measures your heart rate, and then as others have suggested, use your phone to track your ride/speed, etc... 

You'll also have the added bonus that you don't have too much clutter or crap, and just a single wearable watch...

Edited by Mark James

Xoss G+ from your LBS, if they have an Omnico account.

Allows you to sync HR & Cadence if you have those additional sensors.

My cycling buddy has a Xoss G+.

Does what it needs to do and auto sync with Strava. Pretty accurate when compared to my Lezyne.