RockShox dust seal popping out

Hi Guys,

I haven't been on here for ages, so please excuse if posted incorrectly. 

Info:

I recently had my fork serviced/ rebuilt after the dust seal popped out, RockShox XC30 Gold Solo Air 2015. The bike had been standing a while and after consulting with the LBS we concluded that the o rings and seals are probably dry and need to be replaced as air is probably leaking into the lowers. 

Rebuild done, everything feels great for the first 70km. The fork develops about 3mm of free play before engaging the damper. I return to the LBS, they report that the shim stack has degraded, but they have added some oil to compensate...  

15km In to the next ride the dust seal pops out again (loud bang) and the fork drops down to 50psi. I contact the LBS who tell me that I'm running my fork with to much pressure.

The fork states not to exceed 205psi, I was running 140psi as I'm around 105kg. I'm going to try running it at 100psi to see if it holds. I ride mostly jeep track and mild trails, I realize these are budget forks.

Question:

Is there any merit in the LBS' response, as it does not make sense to me? 

Is it worth rebuilding the fork again, also where? Somerset West, Cape Town area.

If not, what would be the best replacement?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Dewald Schultz

Hi Guys,

Info:

I recently had my fork serviced/ rebuilt after the dust seal popped out, RockShox XC30 Gold Solo Air 2015. The bike had been standing a while and after consulting with the LBS we concluded that the o rings and seals are probably dry and need to be replaced as air is probably leaking into the lowers. 

Rebuild done, everything feels great for the first 70km. The fork develops about 3mm of free play before engaging the damper. I return to the LBS, they report that the shim stack has degraded, but they have added some oil to compensate...  

15km In to the next ride the dust seal pops out again (loud bang) and the fork drops down to 50psi. I contact the LBS who tell me that I'm running my fork with to much pressure.

The fork states not to exceed 205psi, I was running 140psi as I'm around 105kg. I'm going to try running it at 100psi to see if it holds. I ride mostly jeep track and mild trails, I realize these are budget forks.

Question:

Is it worth rebuilding the fork again, also where? Somerset West, Cape Town area.

Thanks for reading.

Get your fork to a proper suspension guru. Like Andrew at Stoke suspension, or Robbie  as RBC (in PE though).  They will be the best people to asses your fork.

I have a RS Recon that is doing the same, and I will be taking it in as soon as I have funds to have it looked at again.

As for the best replacement, it all depends how deep your pockets are. I am very happy with my RS SID on my hardtail, the Recon is also sufficient for most application. It all depends on your riding style and how much you want to spend.

Hi Guys,

Info:

Question:

Thanks for reading.

Don't go back to that lbs

Yes air leaking into the lowers from the spring side is the most likely cause for the seal unseating

Another one, less likely tho is the area where seal sits was full of oil when the seals were fitted and just due to friction with the stanchion it got pulled out. Good way to avoid this is to clean the area really good and then put the seals in first so they have dry contact with the lowers and then afterwards put the foam rings in , its a schlep but works everytime.

Our you can go to Knipe Racing in Durbanville and get affordable service that will not require comebacks. Louis is a suspension guru of note.

I have a hard tail that has a RS xc28 fork (spring loaded) which he got working prime.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

• 4 weeks later...

So Andrew from Stoke rebuilt my fork and advised that my shock is also overdue for a rebuild. Had them both done and the bike feels like new. They also cleaned the bike to the point where I think they might have repainted some parts :) . Cost was surprisingly reasonable.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, much, much appreciated.

After the report from Stoke my LBS has agreed to refund me the cost of the work they performed on the fork, which is more than I expected. 

Happy Riding!