Apple airtag

nathrix

considering I have trouble tracking down iphones and ipads using the "findMy" app I'm skeptical to the effectiveness of this for items lost out of your immediate vicinity.

considering I have trouble tracking down iphones and ipads using the "findMy" app I'm skeptical to the effectiveness of this for items lost out of your immediate vicinity.

Different tech. The air tag uses all the phones (regardless of who owns them) in the vicinity of your airtag to track your item. The tracking on an iPad etc will depend on it being connected to the internet.

This is the most comprehensive explanation that I have seen.

https://youtu.be/DEbm2iG1TNU

Edited by BigDL

Just be considered of the fact that this is not an Anti-theft device. There's a very high chance the tag will start beeping, when its no longer near your iPhone and near someone else's iPhone - it's primarily used to find things. Not track stolen things. 

The chances of a thief having an iPhone or someone in the area of the stolen item having one is high.

Edited by Tander

Used to find lost items ...not stolen items ... it will warn any potential thief that they are being tracked ... If they have a app device that is. if not you won't be able to track is anyways... 

All these networks (Samsung SmartThings, Tile, Amazon Sidewalk,  Apple) are useful and creepy in equal measure. 

Definitely the Apple network will have the widest coverage.

Samsung coverage is limited to the people who have and optional Samsung Account and enable the features in SmartThings. Tile is limited to the people with a Tile app running on the phone which must be very few in South Africa. But every iPhone user has an Apple ID and this is baked right into the OS from what I understand. 

It definitely not suitable for tracking something in excess of a range of say 100m

What?

100m will cover most homes. Also it uses other iphones to locate your lost item.